Conflict (1936)

There are 31 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 59,179 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• CONFLICT

DIRECTED BY DAVID HOWARD
    PRODUCED BY TREM CARR/PAUL MALVERN
    UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Pat's ability as a logging/mining camp fighter sets him up to box prizefighter Corrigan.
    Unknown to his supporters, he's actually in collusion with Corrigan to throw the fight
    - until he runs into reporter Maude.
    Summary written by Ed Stephan

Full Cast
    John Wayne .... Pat Glendon
    Jean Rogers .... Maude Sangster
    Ward Bond .... Gus 'Knockout' Carrigan
    Tommy Bupp .... Tommy
    Bryant Washburn .... City Editor
    Frank Sheridan .... Sam Steubner
    Harry Woods .... 'Ruffhouse' Kelly
    Margaret Mann .... Ma Blake
    Eddie Borden .... 'Spider' Welsh
    Frank Hagney .... Mike Malone
    Lloyd Ingraham .... Adams, Newspaper City Editor
    Harry Bowen .... Gregg (uncredited)
    Leonard Kibrick .... Boy (uncredited)
    Bruce Mitchell .... Mr. Dennis (uncredited)
    Billie Morris .... Boy (uncredited)
    Fred Parker .... Old Lumberjack (uncredited)
    Edward Peil Sr. .... Reporter (uncredited)
    Richard Perry .... Boy (uncredited)
    Glenn Strange .... Jack (uncredited)
    Walter Weems .... Timekeeper (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Charles Logue screenplay
    Jack London novel The Abysmal Brute
    Walter Weems screenplay

Original Music
    Howard Jackson

Cinematography
    Archie Stout

Filming Location
    Tuolumne County, California, USA
    California, USA
    Sonora, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Conflict is a 1936 American drama film based on a novel by Jack London
    and a silent movie both titled "The Abysmal Brute".
    The film stars John Wayne, Ward Bond and Jean Rogers.

This was Duke's 2nd. film of a 6 picture Universal deal,
    and it was not a happy time ,the films were mediocre,
    but things were about to change, because, just after
    Duke returned to Republic, for The Three Mesquiteers
    and thereafter Stagecoach

Duke, in an unusual role, that of a lumberjack, who is a member
    of a gang that conducts prizefights.
    Ward Bond was solid, as the cheating leader of the gang.

The action films, were entertaining, but were cheaply made, and proved to be
    disappointing at the box office.
    Conflict was no exception, and it made no pretense at being an epic,
    although its logging sequences were authentic, and its fight scene believable.

The reviewer for the New York Times said,

The picture has enough two-fisted ruggedness to stand on its own feet.

Overall an enjoyable film, and very watchable
    conflictlc2.jpg

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I finally got to see this movie and I was pleasantly surprised with it. I thought it was better than most of his early B movies, and it was cool seeing Duke in something other than a quicky western. And the fight sequences, while corny by today's standards, were pretty good. The camera angles made it look more real. Like Keith said, "Overall an enjoyable film, and very watchable".

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• No, I've never seen it on any DVD collection. I got it from another member. I have no idea why it has never been released. I see it for sale on ebay every now and then, but it is usually a copy of someone's copy.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I got "Conflict" on eBay, where there's a guy selling rare and old Duke movies. The print wasn't very good, so it's nice to see the clearer pics posted above.

The movie's corny, of course--you never doubt that the good guy, Duke, is going to beat the bad guy, Ward Bond. But I have a soft spot for this flick. For one thing, Duke gets an actual chance to act, and he does. He gets to show some range, from a tough underdog determined to win to a tentative and tender suitor.

He's nowhere as good as he would be, but you can see the potential.

BTW, does anyone know how many times Duke and Bond appeared together in a movie? Just counting, I have "Conflict," "The Long Journey Home," "The Quiet Man," "3 Godfathers," "They Were Expendable," and, of course, "The Searchers."

Bond was Duke's best friend; they were both USC football players. Somehow I think it shows on screen, most notably in "The Searchers."

I think "Conflict" is a small treasure. The studio created its weaknesses. Duke took the flawed material and ran with it. He always gave everything he had.

• I recently bought all the five movies Duke made with Universal in the thirties. They are a nice change from the quickie westerns. All of them were copies from another copy. Still, glad i got them! I especially liked this one! Its a role iv'e never seen Duke play before, a con man, fake boxer! First movie i ever saw him adopt a kid! HAWKSWILL! You'd enjoy this one! Watching the Duke slug it out in the ring with Ward Bond! Check it out if you can find it!

• I recently bought all the five movies Duke made with Universal in the thirties. They are a nice change from the quickie westerns. All of them were copies from another copy. Still, glad i got them! I especially liked this one! Its a role iv'e never seen Duke play before, a con man, fake boxer! First movie i ever saw him adopt a kid! HAWKSWILL! You'd enjoy this one! Watching the Duke slug it out in the ring with Ward Bond! Check it out if you can find it!

Just wondering where you picked these up? Iv'e been having trouble finding Duke's non-westerns from around this period such as this and california straight ahead.

• Just wondering where you picked these up? Iv'e been having trouble finding Duke's non-westerns from around this period such as this and california straight ahead.

There's a guy on E-Bay who sells second (maybe third) copies of some of the old hard to find ones. His e-bay handle is caseykaye.

• Hi Guy, Thanks. I have found some others and got a few stills of Conflict.
    I also bought the DVD.....quality is not bad! Duke was beginning to fill out a little in this movie, so Ward didn't look quite so massive chest wise next to him. His arms and forearms were larger though......different kinds of bodies anyway. Some good scenes of Duke swimming in the rapids.....have seen him swim and dive in a few movies....I think he did most all of that himself. You can tell by his stroke he was a good swimmer and comfortable in the water. Cute little movie...not a brain buster, just an old fashioned turned out good one! I liked it. Thanks again, LH

I recently bought all the five movies Duke made with Universal in the thirties. They are a nice change from the quickie westerns. All of them were copies from another copy. Still, glad i got them! I especially liked this one! Its a role iv'e never seen Duke play before, a con man, fake boxer! First movie i ever saw him adopt a kid! HAWKSWILL! You'd enjoy this one! Watching the Duke slug it out in the ring with Ward Bond! Check it out if you can find it!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hi Irish Duke! Well, I just happened tp be cruising on the net one night and I stumbled on to a sight called I OFFER. COM to see what they had. There was a private seller who had a lot of Weird old seldom seen movies on his sight. But he also had these five JW movies from the thirties! ( only those five from universal) Burned copies, but in pretty good shape! You can bid on them. He puts out his price, you can come in with a lower bid, go back and forth. I got them for thirty bucks! three discs, two movies on two of them, one alone. No regrets! later, bill