Looking For A Film

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,974 times. The latest Post () was by Colorado Bob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi, I am a newbie. I am looking for a John Wayne film where he is fighting the use of bob wire fencing. It has to do with an evil neighbor preventing the ranchers in the area from watering their cattle. I remember this movie so well because of how disgusted Wayne was with bob wire fencing and how it was the beginning of the end of the "free range" ranching. Any ideas to the title of this movie and where I can get a copy? Thanks, Laura

• Hi lmarkis,
    First of all, a big
    WELCOME

to the JWMB.

I am sure you will meet many friendly and knowledgable folk on here.

Having said that, I'm trying to work out your question.
    Firstly of all are you sure it is a John Wayne movie?
    Secondly, Is it an old movie?
    Have you any more detail, co-star etc?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I just asked my husband and he said it was a color movie, and John Wayne was about the age he was in Big Jake and Cahill movies. So it's a later movie. It was one of those where he owns most of the land but the water rights are in dispute, I remember the neighbors below being cut off of water, the neighbor above built some kind of dam. And just how upset John Wayne was that "barbed wire" not bob wire! was being use to block the cattle. I was even thinking it was a Chisum charactor...I am wondering if this movie hasn't been released. I can't remember anything else. It's been some time since we've seen it. It was on AMC or WGN Sunday night movie...

Originally posted by lmarkis@Feb 5 2006, 12:05 PM
    I just asked my husband and he said it was a color movie, and John Wayne was about the age he was in Big Jake and Cahill movies. So it's a later movie. It was one of those where he owns most of the land but the water rights are in dispute, I remember the neighbors below being cut off of water, the neighbor above built some kind of dam. And just how upset John Wayne was that "barbed wire" not bob wire! was being use to block the cattle. I was even thinking it was a Chisum charactor...I am wondering if this movie hasn't been released. I can't remember anything else. It's been some time since we've seen it. It was on AMC or WGN Sunday night movie...

[snapback]26608[/snapback]

Chisum did have water rights being in dispute. But, I don't remember a scene were they were discussing the use of barb wire fences or not.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I know the movie your on about but it is a Kirk Douglas movie not a John Wayne movie. I can't remember the name of it but it was made in the 1950's I think.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie

I think the Douglas film you are looking for is Man Without a Star.

Man Without a Star (1955)
    Dempsey Rae, a cowboy with no clear aim in life, winds up working on a spread with a hard lady owner just arrived from the East. She needs a tough new top hand and uses all her means of persuasion to get Rae to take the job. But he doesn't like the way the other settlers are getting treated and starts to side with them, despite their introduction of the barbed wire he loathes.

Riders of Destiny also involves water rights but I can't recall if it also involvesbarbed wire, and it was in Black and White.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,

That's the one I had in mind, but it's not the right era,
    that's why I asked , Laura, if she was sure it was John Wayne!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• There is no barbed wire mentioned in Riders of Destiny either.

Thanks for finding the name of that Douglas movie Arther, that is the one I was thinking of.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• That movie was just on TCM. I think it was Friday and I dodn't have any time to watch it. Have to watch for it to play again.

-John Wayne

• Laura,

Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of its kind this side of dot com! :D

Our experts have been looking into your request and haven't come up with a final solution yet.

Just to muddy the waters a little more, is there a possibility it might be a Roy Rogers film? I seem to remember a story line like the one you describe.

Anyway, if it is a John Wayne movie, you've come to the right place to find an answer!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Thanks everyone. It was a John Wayne movie I am thinking of though I will watch Man Without a Star, sounds very good.

What I have stuck in my mind is an image of John Wayne, he is older and he takes a sledge hammer or axe and breaks a small wooden dam or levy that is blocking up a creek, preventing the water to flow down stream to the Hispanic farmers below...They came to him to plead with him for help because they and their cattle are dying of thirst. This always stuck with me because there was such urgency in getting the water to flow again and Wayne had to fight off another idiot that thought he could just take over all the water. There was also a part where he is disgusted by the barbed wire getting put up. That could be from another movie, though my husband seems to agree with me that this was all in the same movie. I am wondering if the John Wayne Estate hasn't release this movie? We haven't seen it in years and I have been looking at all the Wayne movie synopsizes and haven't seen it yet.

Glad to see that I am not the only John Wayne fan! He's the best! Laura

• Hi Laura,
    Well you have painted a good description,
    but it still doesn't click as a film by Duke.
    There are certainly not any movies held by
    the Wayne family, and your synopsis, still seems
    that of a much older film.
    It would appear, that all us 'experts' are baffled.
    The are lots of dedicated fans on the JWMB,
    why don't you join in on the other threads,
    I am sure you will enjoy,

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• How about "Broken Lance" with Spencer Tracy and Richard Widmark. If I remember right there is a scene that has them going up to a mine that is polluting the water and not allowing it go down stream and the cattle are dying. Plus you could have mixed up Spencer Tracy with a older Duke.

On a side note, this is a very good movie. It also has Robert Wagner, Katy Jurado, and Earl Holliman starring it the film as well.

-John Wayne

• Sorry, it was a John Wayne film.

I keep sharing everyone's responses with my husband, he and I watched the movie together so I am not nuts, here...I'll find it eventually and let everyone know. It's a good challenge. Your movie suggestion sounds great, I have never seen it and will. Thanks.

• You might try Angel and the Badman. One of the sub plots concerns water rights and a one fellow hogging all the water by putting up a dam. But I don't remember anything about barb wire. Just a suggestion.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.