There are 149 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 126,445 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• That was us, too. We recognized his voice before we recognized his face.

Ditto on hearing his voice. I also wish that he had not played the part of a pimp/drug dealer. I think he would have made a good partner of sorts, for Dukes character.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Must admit I enjoy Mc Q and Brannigan it would have been nicer if he had been younger for those roles but I still like them.

I think money was one of the reasons why Duke kept taking a lot of roles. Bo Roos plus his son in law mistakes handling his money , bad investments plus a lot of Wayne's too support was the reasons why JW was not able to retire or move to directing which is wanted to.

Mike

• Watched McQ for the first time in these days and sure like Duke in it. But movie is depressing, I completly agree with Ejgreen and all he write in his brilliant review. As about the whole movie I feel that it is simply not my period of cinematography.
    Regards,
    Senta

• This may be the only JW movie I wish was not made. I quite like Brannigan, but McQ is just a pathetic attempt to copy Dirty Harry. Duke looks ill and that's sad to watch.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Jet Pilot and The Conqueror are hilarious, even though the humour is partly unintended. They have real action, not the tired kind of McQ. And if nothing else they offer pleasure to the eye. The only thing to make The Conqueror a sad case is if its making contributed towards Duke's and others' illness

I don't believe in surrenders.

• estsija! i agree jet pilots and the conqueror are hilarious for all the wrong reasons. but i liked the story line in MCQ better then BRANNIGAN. he was a little old for both movies.:yeaahh:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Actually I think McQ was more of a copy of Bullitt than Dirty Harry. I quite enjoyed both of the Duke's cop movies, even though he was clearly too old.

• Actually I think McQ was more of a copy of Bullitt than Dirty Harry. I quite enjoyed both of the Duke's cop movies, even though he was clearly too old.

With respect I disagree, I feel his age is irrelevant and if anything it makes the character more interesting. Lon McQ has a history, his personal life has fallen apart in the past, yet when it comes to police work there is a wealth of experience to draw from.

There is nothing in the script to indicate that McQ should be a young man, only the critics ever made an issue of Dukes age while playing this role and these were the same critics who were stating that Duke was too old to be acting.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I noticed Channel 5 edited parts of Mc Q for violence and language when it was shown on Sunday. His car is bashed only once and the nurse is not heard to react to his disappearance from the hospital. Considering some of the programmes broadcast on this channel why edit a 35 year old movie!!!!

I dont think Duke looked too bad in this movie. Considering his health was quite good he is more than passable.

Mike

• Channel 5 is notorious for cutting large segments from movies, "McQ," got of fairly lightly. I remember watching "Big Jake," in which most of the opening sequence at the ranch was cut out (obviously considered too violent).

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• You are right, Jim. It's a companion novel to the movie. It is very much like the movie, just going into more detail. What I like about a book, is the writer can write what the character is thinking and how they are feeling in different situations. If I remember correctly there are a few added scenes in the book that were added after the movie. It just struck me as I typed this, the scene Robbie talked about being cut out of the movie between McQ and Rosey the informant, I believe, is in the book. Since it was written from the screenplay, maybe the scene was left on the cutting room floor from the movie, but kept in the book. Hmmm, interesting.

If you liked the movie, you'll like the book. You can find most of the books on ebay for pretty cheap. Just a few go for alot. I keep getting outbid everytime a copy of Tall In The Saddle goes up for auction, but I'll get one someday...when other bidders ain't lookin'. :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "