The High And The Mighty (1954)

There are 94 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 112,480 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• It was I who voted for THATM. I don't really know if its one thing that I can put my finger on that makes me like this movie. Yes, it has its flaws. I think one of the things is that it has a strong character development. I like to see a movie where they give us the people's story, that way I can actually care about what might or is happening to them. The other thing is that its not Duke's typical roll. The first time I watched it, it was very refreshing to see John Wayne in this type of roll.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• True, this was not a typical John Wayne picture. It was one of the first that becamed identified an "ensemble" movie, but Duke was still the primary focus. Wayne was one of the producers on "The High and the Mighty," so he was in at the earliest stages of getting the movie made. If you think about it, Duke was responsible for a lot of innovation in the movie industry.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

For its day besides John Wayne as Dan Roman it boasted a very good supporting cast including:-

Robert Stack as Captain John Sullivan -Whose nerves of steel were starting to rust
    Claire Trevor as May Holst - Strictly a night-time woman
    Laraine Day - Low as High Society could get

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

It also included Jan Sterling (who would win the Academy Best Supporting actress Award for her role of Sally McKee - 'who lived in a world of whistles'

Ed Harris as Ed Joseph - a gag man who should have been wearing one

and Robert Newton - A 'ham' caught with his hair down.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

It also included Jan Sterling (who would win the Academy Best Supporting actress Award for her role of Sally McKee

Sorry, Arthur, but Eva Marie Saint won the Best Supporting actress Award for On the Waterfront. Jan Sterling and Claire Trevor both recieved nomination for The High and the Mighty, though.

When in doubt, you can always look it up here.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi

Other passengers were

Doe Avedon as Miss Spalding Her film career was brief comprising a handful of pictures
    before she married the film Director Don Siegal.

Karen Sharp Kramer as newly married Nell Buck.

Try as I could I couldn,t find a photo of Milo Buck played by John Smith.

Regards

Arthur

• This has always been one of my favorite of the Duke's films, even though at times it grows wearisome, like the flight itself. I flew the same route in reverse, from Travis AFB outside of 'Frisco in 1963 to Hickam in Hawaii in a prop-driven MATS C-118 flown by my Dad. Luckily I was just 10 and the seats were for adults, so I could move freely around in it during the 8-hour flight. The only diversions were the meals, just cold box lunches, and the roar of the 4 engines made it almost impossible to talk; you had to shout to make yourself heard. I can still smell the interior of the C-118, metal, old upholstery, av gas, all in an un-plasticized, un-pressurized, un-airconditioned aircraft. If you had a window seat and the plane flew north or south and the sun was on your side, you baked during your flight!

While the movie faithfully follow Gann's book, there are some scenes I wish they had not added, like Joyce Chen's simpering "Dumb bunny, dumb bunny..." it makes you want to shake her. I much prefer her smart-aleck busy-body Chinese servant to Betty Bacall ("Sailor-man clazy, you ling bell, I come chop chop!!) in "Blood Alley"!

But I still choke back the tears as the relieved passengers disembark in 'Frisco to the joyous paen of Tiompkin's orchestra, especially when Milo & Nell meet her parents. If it were me, I would have gotten down and kissed the concrete runway! (And I got the new DVD when it came out last year, and enjoyed it again & again, from Tiompkin's soaring, wonderful score to the whistling ancient pelican sauntering down the ramp.)

• Hi Arthur

High & Mighty is £6.00 in HMV

Also included is In Harms Way, Big Jake El Dorado and True Grit.

I didnt see what price Mc Lintock was but it was there too.

Hondo is £10.00.

Most are just widescreen versions with I believe a A3 poster included.

No extras other than that

Best

Mike

• I know this is late, but tonight is John Wayne night on TCM. We are about to enjoy The High and the Mighty followed by Island in the Sky. Needless to say, I'm about to kick back, relax, and enjoy.:teeth_smile:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I don't know if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what airline company the crew of TH&TM were flying for? Any ideas?

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!