Angel And The Badman (1947)

There are 130 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 132,189 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Angel_and_the_Badman_1947[1].jpg
    ANGEL AND THE BADMAN

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY JAMES EDWARD GRANT
    PRODUCED BY JOHN WAYNE
    MUSIC BY RICHARD HAGEMAN
    JOHN WAYNE PRODUCTIONS
    REPUBLIC PICTURES

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Quirt Evens an all round bad guy is nursed back to health and sought after by
    Penelope Worth a quaker girl.
    He eventually finds himself having to choose from his world or the world
    from which Penelope lives by.
    Summary written by Christopher D. Ryan

Full Cast
    John Wayne .... Quirt Evans
    Gail Russell .... Penelope Worth
    Harry Carey .... Territorial Marshal Wistful McClintock
    Bruce Cabot .... Laredo Stevens
    Irene Rich .... Mrs. Worth
    Lee Dixon .... Randy McCall (Quirt's partner)
    Stephen Grant .... Johnny Worth
    Tom Powers .... Dr. Mangram
    Paul Hurst .... Frederick Carson (Worth's neighbor)
    Olin Howland .... Bradley (town telegrapher) (as Olin Howlin)
    John Halloran .... Thomas Worth
    Joan Barton .... Lila Neal (saloon singer ['The Western Nightingale'] in Red Rock)
    Craig Woods .... Ward Withers
    Marshall Reed .... Nelson (Quaker horseshoer)
    Doc Adams .... Quaker (uncredited)
    Rosemary Bertrand .... Christine Taylor (uncredited)
    Symona Boniface .... Dance Hall Madam (uncredited)
    Bob Burns .... Quaker Meeting member (uncredited)
    Wade Crosby .... Baker brother #2 (uncredited)
    Steve Darrell .... Gambler (uncredited)
    Kenne Duncan .... Gambler (uncredited)
    Geraldine Farnum .... Saloon girl (uncredited)
    Louis Faust .... Hondo Jeffries, Bad guy who in chase gets knocked off horse by tree branch (uncredited)
    Paul Fix .... Mouse Marr (uncredited)
    Pat Flaherty .... Baker brother (uncredited)
    Lew Harvey .... Gambler (uncredited)
    Jack Kirk .... Carson Ranchhand (uncredited)
    Rex Lease .... Roulette croupier (uncredited)
    Cactus Mack .... Quaker (uncredited)
    LeRoy Mason .... Lefty Wilson (uncredited)
    Jack Montgomery .... Carson Ranchhand (uncredited)
    Bert Moorhouse .... Gambler (uncredited)
    Al Murphy .... Bartender (uncredited)
    William Newell .... Headwaiter (uncredited)
    Jack O'Shea .... Barfly (uncredited)
    Eddie Parker .... Baker Brother (uncredited)
    Stanley Price .... Gambler (uncredited)
    John Shay .... Gambler (uncredited)
    Jack Stoney .... Baker Brother (uncredited)
    Ken Terrell .... Brawl spectator (uncredited)
    Tony Travers .... Hernan (uncredited)
    Crane Whitley .... Bit Role (uncredited)
    Norman Willis .... Gambler (uncredited) (as Jack Norman)
    Hank Worden .... Townsman (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    James Edward Grant

Original Music
    Richard Hageman

Cinematography
    Archie Stout

Second Unit Director or Assistant Director
    Yakima Canutt .... second unit director
    Harvey Dwight .... assistant director (uncredited)

Stunts
    Richard Farnsworth .... stunts (uncredited)
    Fred Graham .... stunt double: John Wayne (uncredited)
    John Hudkins .... stunts (uncredited)
    Ben Johnson .... stunt double (uncredited)
    Chuck Roberson .... stunts (uncredited)
    Jack Stoney .... stunts (uncredited)
    Ken Terrell .... stunts (uncredited)
    Henry Wills .... stunts (uncredited)

Trivia
    The first film produced by John Wayne.

Quirt Evans is treated with laudanum while recovering at the Worth house from his injuries. He is treated with laudanum again in The Shootist (1976) as J.B. Books to reduce his pain from the effects of cancer.

The passage Randy reads from Quirt's Bible is from either 2 Samuel 23:20-1 or 1 Chronicles 11:22-3.

John Wayne would later star in two films where his eponymous character carried the name of characters from this movie: Hondo (1953) and McLintock! (1963).

"The Hedda Hopper Show - This Is Hollywood" broadcast a 30 minute radio adaptation of the movie on April 5, 1947 with John Wayne reprising his film role.

Goofs
    * Anachronisms: The doctor at one point mentions "living in a never never land," an obvious reference to Peter Pan. However, the play did not see its first performance in London until 1904, and the novel was not published until 1911. There is no way anyone living on the 19th-century American frontier could know of Peter Pan's home.

* Revealing mistakes: In the next to the last scene in the movie where the Marshal (Harry Carey) shoots Hondo and Lardo, he kills them with two rapid shots before they can shoot. In the reverse it shows the Marshal cooling his lever action rifle. It would be impossible to fire two shots so rapidly if you had to lever the rifle between shots.

* Continuity: When Quirt pushes between the men at the bar, the bartender pours him a drink and then leaves. The owner then arrives asking for some calm. As Quirt leaves the bar, the bar owner can be heard from behind the Baker brothers still imploring them not to fight, but it is the bartender who can be seen.

* Continuity: A dance hall girl pushes a spectator down onto a gambling table which collapses under him, with the only damage being to the legs of the table. In the next shot, the table is still collapsed but there is a large section of the edge broken off.

* Continuity: When walking down the street for the final showdown, the sun starts off to Quirt's right casting shadows to the left of screen, then a close shot shows shadows which could only come from a near-overhead sun, and then at the saloon the sun is coming from Quirt's left casting shadows to the right.

* Continuity: When Quirt arrives at the saloon, its entrance is in shadow. When Hondo and Laredo come out, they are in full sun.

* Revealing mistakes: The small bag of gold double eagles is thrown to Quirt at the beginning. Gold at the time was $20 a troy ounce and would have consisted of 250 coins. At 14 ounces to the pound, it would have weighed 187.5 pounds, not the mere few pounds the few silver dollars it likely contained.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Location
    Sedona, Arizona, USA

Watch the Full Movie:-

Angel And The Badman

Previous discussion:-
    Angel And The Badman

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 14 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Angel and the Badman is a 1947 American Western film written and directed by James Edward Grant
    and starring John Wayne, Gail Russell, Harry Carey and Bruce Cabot.
    The film is about an injured gunfighter who is nursed back to health by a Quaker girl
    and her family whose way of life influences him and his violent ways
    Angel and the Badman was the first film Wayne produced as well as starred in,
    and was a departure for this genre at the time it was released.

Writer-director James Edward Grant was Wayne's frequent screenwriting collaborator.

In 1975, the film entered the public domain in the USA due to the copyright claimants
    failure to renew the copyright registration in the 28th year after publication.

Republic were in fear of losing their top box office draw,
    and were slowly giving Duke more freedom, to produce his own movies.
    Duke chose this one a modest western, for his first John Wayne production.
    Duke selected his favourite screenwriter James Edward Grant, to write and direct, the picture..
    He also borrowed dark-haired Gail Russell from Paramount , to play his
    leading lady.
    Duke acquitted himself well, and the chemistry between him and Gail,
    was obvious, on and off screen, although he denied anything was going on!
    Harry Carey, and Bruce Cabot, were both strong in their roles.

The film proved a leisurely western, without much action, concerning itself more with romance,
    and pacifism, than bad men and gunplay.
    Whilst critics liked it, Duke's fans, found the movie too slow.

The film. although shot in MV in black and white,
    wasn't as good as a John Ford film.
    Unfortunately, it had a lot of similarities,
    to his Monogram Films, which is hardly surprising, as
    Duke used the same cinematographer, Archie Stout!
    Although the reviews were mixed, and it was not a great box office success,
    Duke was satisfied with the results.

User Review

Very highly recommended
    19 September 2003 | by zetes (Saint Paul, MN)

Fun movie about a cowboy named Quirt (John Wayne) who is wants to reform his ways after he meets a sweet Quaker girl. When he is shot, the Quaker family takes care of him, and after he wakes up the daughter (Gail Russell) falls in love with him. It's goofy and cliché, sure, but there's a really fine movie to be found in the familiar setup. Writer/director Grant create many good vignettes. There are several wonderful supporting characters who add a lot of worth to the proceedings, including Harry Carey as a marshall, Lee Dixon as one of Quirt's friends and old partners in crime, Tom Powers as the local, scientific, atheist doctor, and Olin Howlin as the town telegrapher. Howlin's character is pure comic relief, very humorously claiming a long friendship with Quirt, though he only saw him once when he was almost unconscious. Then Carey's character is wryly comedic: as the marshall, he's constantly stalking Quirt. He's sure that someday he'll get to hang the guy, and he harps on it constantly. The chemistry between Wayne and Russell adds an unexpected poignancy to the film. The scene where the two pick blackberries is simply beautiful, and their wordless climactic exchange is perfectly performed. Good action sequences, as well. 9/10.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi,
    I have been researching all the threads, back to the start of the JWMB,
    looking for previous discussion, relating to this movie.
    I have found the following, comments, and have copied them here,
    so that they are now under one forum:-

The Angel And The Badman, White Hat and Black Hat

William T Brooks
    post Mar 12 2004, 03:48 PM

After you people got me all charged up on the Duke again I got a new copy of "The Angel and the Badman", and after looking at it a few time I saw that "The Duke" as [Quirt Evans] had a White or Light colored Hat on ,then as the film goes on and he "The Duke" goes after Laredo Stevens [Bruce Cabot] suddenly he is using a Black Hat when he is going to be a bad guy again. Then to a White hat as a good guy again. Then back to the black hat at the end of the film to go after Laredo again. I think this was a left over from the old B-Westerns, Good Guy, Bad Guy! At the first part of the film he I using a 5 and 1/2" barreled Colt Pistol and is in Monument Valley with many people after him, and I am one of them. In the next scene he is at Bell Rock in Sedona 175 miles from Monument Valley as the Bird Flys with a run out horse and a Colt pistol with a 4 and 3/4 " barrel ? I know a little about this film as I had a few small non-speaking parts in it back in the late 1940s but I had never seen this before. Good film and love story! I think this was the first film produced by "THE DUKE". Chilibill :cowboy:

arthurarnell
    post Mar 13 2004, 05:46 PM

Hi Chillibilly
    As you know I am collating a list of everyone who played in a John Wayne movie if you e mail your details to me with a short pen picture I'll include it.

Regards
    Arthur

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Following on from the previous thread:-

:

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Keith

OK, I guess I will have to put my 2-Bits in on this Film. I can go out the front door and see the Red Rocks at Sedona where the Film was Shot back in 1947. :rolleyes:

I put this up on Duke Stories a year or so ago , but some of you might want to read it again. It tells about the Making of "The Angel and The Badman. You can go to the Site below and just keep Clicking NEXT. :P

THE ANGEL AND THE BADMAN

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hi all,
    It is my all time favorite, I understand that there is more great of course if counting Duke performance or directors work or many other things. But this one is my most belovered because it proofed to me again some things in which I belive. It is hard to explain, so the only I can add I simply love this movie.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• One of my all time favourites too, a charming little movie. I love to watch Duke and Gail Russell together, and it's also nice to see Harry Carey in the same film

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Because many of you said that this Film was one of your favorite John Wayne Films I put together a little picture story of "The Angel and the Badman," and there might some Still Shots that you have not seen before of Duke and Gail Russell taken from the Film. :rolleyes:

Most of the Ladys out there Seem to like this Film as it is a Great love Story of a Badman "Duke" and a Angel of a Woman "Gail Russell" making the Badman Go Straight and of Course Duke Gets The Girl in the end !!! :)

PICTURE STORY OF ANGEL AND THE BADMAN

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Mike,

I know I own several copies myself, but haven't watched it in so long I really don't remember too much about the quality. It seems like one of those titles that is extremely available, almost like a public domain title. Someone else may have a better idea, and a better answer to your question.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester

Got another copy of Angel & the Badman. Film is awful but extra of John Wayne on Film isnt too bad. I wish Tony Curtis would throw away that wig!!

All for the price of £3.99 from play.com

Mike

• One remembers Angel & Badman is Republic production when they once again fall off that cliff into the river, only without horses this time. I believe it's the same cliff in countless films, they really loved that trick! - And I love the movie, no matter how many times I see it.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• The Hallmark Movie Channel has been showing advertisements for this movie and all of the scenes are in color. It is coming on tonight so I'll know then.

The (supposedly) color version of Angel and the Badman is coming on in five minutes, so if you have the Hallmark Movie Channel you might wanna tune in.

Stay thirsty my friends.