Angel And The Badman (1947)

There are 130 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 132,192 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I love this movie! I watched it again two days ago - the black and white original version (I have colorized version on DVD too), and it has not lost its magic, although I have seen it a dozen times. The Duke as the bad guy who becomes good in the end is wonderful and John Wayne and Gail Russell are a real fine couple!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I've always loved this one too. Has it ever been remastered? My copy is rather dark and grainy in some spots.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• The black and white version I bought here in Germany on DVD is dark too. The colorized version from my old VHS cassette looks much better!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• One of my fave Duke westerns.
    I've only seen it in black and white, haven't seen a colourized version in the UK.
    The DVD is actually pretty good quality and well mastered.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• What exactly made him a badman? We never really saw him rob a bank? Was it because he hung out with Riff Raff? Or was it just his reputation as a tough guy? Anyway, Good movie! i like it!

• wtrayah,

I think one reason he is "the bad man" is because in the Quaker community, any kind of violence is considered wrong. Duke's character was a known gun-slinger - he is the last guy those parents would want their daughter falling in love with. And of course, he did hang out with the "wrong" crowd, too.

• This scene must have wound up on the cutting room floor. I don't remember seeing it in the film. Am I wrong?

Mark

This is not from "Angel and the Badman" and neither is the picture above of Duke confronting the guy across a table.

Regards
    Robbie

• One of the most impressive things about this movie is the way Gail Russell handles that two-horse team in her big introduction scene, whipping the wagon around a corner and then bringing it thundering to a stop right on her mark.

To me, this movie has the easygoing spirit of the early oaters combined with a burgeoning maturity--it's like a fun kids' western with a heartfelt adult sensibility. Every element of the film is exquisitely rendered. It's just a beautiful, emotionally rich, visually stunning western that is endlessly and effortlessly appealing.

• One of the most impressive things about this movie is the way Gail Russell handles that two-horse team in her big introduction scene, whipping the wagon around a corner and then bringing it thundering to a stop right on her mark.

I always wondered about that scene. Did she REALLY bring that team to a halt like that or was the scene rigged to look that way? Looked real to me. Anyone else know if it was really her?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• It's all done in one continuous shot so it looks real to me. At any rate, she did enough of it herself for me to be impressed! And she comes to a standing stop just in the right spot for her close up.