The Shepherd Of The Hills (1941)

There are 88 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 88,558 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One of my favorites. Didn't know Harry Carey in the silent days. He is very good in this, and I really like him. Also, the hill country and mentality is portrayed very convincingly....there are still places in West Virginia way up in the mountains that are just like this. Winding rutty roads will get you there, but you better not stay if you are not known! My Guitar buddy, Hippie Man, was from one of these places. The two major "industries" were shine and sang. Moonshine and ginseng. Everyone had a private, well protected ginseng patch. They would dig the root, plant the seed, and dry the roots. One man was allowed to come into the area and buy the dried roots. I would drive Hippie up there about twice a year to see his family, thus I was accepted. There would be a real old fashioned hoe down as Hippie had left, made his mark in the music world and yet still returned. Don't know how it is now, but about 8 years ago, the law did not even venture into these little pockets of the past. Hippie and I.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• One of my favorites. Didn't know Harry Carey in the silent days. He is very good in this, and I really like him. Also, the hill country and mentality is portrayed very convincingly....there are still places in West Virginia way up in the mountains that are just like this. Winding rutty roads will get you there, but you better not stay if you are not known! My Guitar buddy, Hippie Man, was from one of these places. The two major "industries" were shine and sang. Moonshine and ginseng. Everyone had a private, well protected ginseng patch. They would dig the root, plant the seed, and dry the roots. One man was allowed to come into the area and buy the dried roots. I would drive Hippie up there about twice a year to see his family, thus I was accepted. There would be a real old fashioned hoe down as Hippie had left, made his mark in the music world and yet still returned. Don't know how it is now, but about 8 years ago, the law did not even venture into these little pockets of the past. Hippie and I.

Fascinating story Ladyhawk, you never cease to amaze me with the story's you have and the things you've done!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• The Shepherd of the Hills- What a great movie, and I got a shock when I realized it was in color. This was a really nice story with a great unique feeling around it, great cast and a good story, it felt very much like a John Ford movie to me rather than Hathaway though I can't put my finger on exactly why that is. I think Duke's part in this film was rather small for top billing, his character was more important to the plot than the movie if you get my meaning, the real joy in the movie for me was Harry Carey and his interactions with all the supporting characters, i'd never seen him outside of small roles though I knew of Harry Jr. and am not a fan, but was thoroughly impressed with him here. Had the feel of a classic to me though I see some mixed reactions over in the dedicated thread. A different kind of Duke western!

• As I mentioned before, I too very much enjoyed Harry Carey in this. Also, the fact that these kinds of places still exist in the hidden pockets of high mountainous areas like the one I used to take Hippie to in West Virginia, greatly added to my appreciation of this movie. It is one thing to watch it and imagine how it was in the old days....quite another to have actually "been" in the old days, or at least exactly how they are depicted. On my many travels alone through those mountains, I am very glad I never ended up in one of those little pockets forgotten by the world. Without Hippie, who was famous in those places..........not too sure what would have happened to me! KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE