There are 57 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 55,415 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• DEAN MARTIN

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of birth
    7 June 1917
    Steubenville, Ohio, USA

Date of death
    25 December 1995
    Beverly Hills, California, USA. (lung cancer and emphysema)

Birth name
    Dino Paul Crocetti

Nickname
    Dino
    King Leer

Height
    5' 11" (1.80 m)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Martin & Lewis

Trade mark
    Cigarette and a glass of alcohol whenever he was doing his night club acts

Spouse
    Catherine Hawn (1973 - 1976) (divorced) 1 stepdaughter
    Jeanne Martin (1 September 1949 - 14 February 1973) (divorced) 4 children
    Elizabeth Anne McDonald (2 October 1941 - 1949) (divorced) 4 children

Trivia
    His son, Dean Paul Martin (Dino), was killed in a plane crash.

Member of the "Rat Pack" with Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop. All appeared in Ocean's Eleven (1960).

Father of Gail Martin, Heather Lyn and Dean Paul Martin.

Grandfather of Alexander Martin.

Born at 11:55pm-CST

Interred at Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles, California, USA.

His parents were Gaetano and Angella Crocetti. Although born in Ohio, he spoke only Italian until age 5.

He had a fear of elevators and a love of comic books, which he read his entire life.

His career as a boxer was summed up by him as follows, "I won all but 11 of 12 fights." He fought under the name of Kid Crochet.

Father of Claudia Martin (with first wife).

Died exactly 29 years to the day (25 December 1995) of the death of his mother, Angela Crocetti (25 December 1966).

Nephew of actor/comedian Leonard Barr.

Much of the "booze" that he drank on stage during his famous "Rat Pack" performances was really apple juice. (Son Dean Paul Martin spilled this secret, after the variety show ended production, stating that his father couldn't have performed if he'd really drunk that much liquor.)

Father of Deana Martin

Father in law of Carole Costello. She was married to Craig Martin, his oldest son & was the daughter of Lou Costello.

From 1973 to 1984, he was the host of the "Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts." In one of the most classic television series of all time, Dean and his panel of actors and comics would shower the guest of honor with insults. This series contained the most famous names in the history of entertainment, such as Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, George Burns, James Stewart, Orson Welles, Jack Benny, Phyllis Diller, Milton Berle, Gene Kelly, Don Rickles, Rich Little, John Wayne, and Foster Brooks.

Despite the name changes in his television shows, Dean's television career lasted 19 years: from 1965 to 1984.

Dean is one of few actors that have received not just one, but TWO, stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: one for Motion Pictures at 6519 Hollywood Blvd., and one for Television at 6651 Hollywood Blvd.

Underwent rhinoplasty when he was 27. Procedure was paid for by Lou Costello.

Son-in-law was the late Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys (married to Dean's daughter Gina).

Has a street named after him in San Antonio, Texas.

"Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" - words written on his tombstone, after his signature hit.

Starred (with Jerry Lewis) on NBC Radio's "The Martin and Lewis Show" (1949-1953).

He and Frank Sinatra were best friends, a fact he held very dear to his heart. The two didn't speak much, in the years after Dean quit the "Rat Pack Reunion" tour, but they did reconcile a few months before his death, over dinner - and a breadroll fight.

While he always played affable and easygoing, offstage he was usually quiet and reserved; friends noted the contrast.

He and former wife Jeanne Martin maintained a friendship after their divorce, and consulted each other on family matters. When his health declined, Jeanne encouraged him not to worry about facing death, and to look at it as the chance he longed for, to be reunited with their son Dean Paul Martin, and with his parents.

His style of singing was initially influenced by Harry Mills of The Mills Brothers.

Father of Ricci Martin.

When 20th Century-Fox fired Marilyn Monroe as his co-star in Something's Got to Give (1962) and then attempted to replace her with Lee Remick, he reminded the studio that he had contractual approval of his co-star, and refused to continue the project without Monroe. His act of loyalty eventually got Marilyn re-hired, but she died of a drug overdose before shooting on this never-finished film could resume.

Although he had almost 40 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 charts between 1951 and 1968, only three went to number one: "That's Amore" (Capitol: 1953), "Memories Are Made of This" (Capitol: 1956), and his theme song, "Everybody Loves Somebody" (Reprise: 1964).

Despite the legend that he and comedy partner Jerry Lewis always despised each other, the two were actually quite close friends and the tension between the two began in 1956, when "outside people" (as Lewis called them to Peter Bogdanovich) began to "poison" Martin against Lewis. Frank Sinatra eventually staged a public reunion over 20 years after they stopped speaking to each other. Over the next 10 years they became close again.

Is portrayed by Michael Daymond in Power and Beauty (2002) (TV), by Joe Mantegna in The Rat Pack (1998) (TV), by Jeremy Northam in Martin and Lewis (2002) (TV) and by Danny Gans in Sinatra (1992) (TV).

He and the other members of the Rat Pack were banned from Marilyn Monroe's funeral by Joe DiMaggio

Diagnosed with lung cancer in September 1993.

He and Jerry Lewis recorded a radio spot promoting their film The Caddy (1953), and noticing the tape was still rolling, decided to improvise additional radio spots, with Jerry slipping profanities into his dialog. The unedited master recording was surreptitiously taken from the studio and made into a "bootleg" record that sold briskly among collectors.

Although Martin was a Republican, he supported Frank Sinatra's campaign to elect John F. Kennedy as President in 1960.

Had a night-club in North Bay Village, Florida in the late 1970s and early 1980s called Dino's. It was next to Jilly Rizzo's club, Jilly's.

Mini Biography-1
    Though best known for the 51 films he made, Dean Martin was a prizefighter, steel mill laborer, gas station attendant and card shark before seeing the first glimmer of fame. It came when he teamed up with comedian Jerry Lewis in 1946. Films such as At War with the Army (1950) sent the team toward superstardom. After teaming with Lewis, Martin - born Dino Paul Crocetti - became a dramatic actor and the star of a long-running television variety show. Personality conflicts broke up the comedy duo in 1957. Few thought that Martin would go one to achieve solo success, but he did, winning critical acclaim for his role in The Young Lions (1958) with Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift. A succession of films followed for the singer-actor, including Some Came Running (1958) with Shirley MacLaine and Frank Sinatra. All would later be members of the "Rat Pack." Martin learned well and proved potent at the box office throughout the 1960s, with films such as Bells Are Ringing (1960) and Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964), again with Rat Pack pals Sammy Davis Jr. and Sinatra. During much of the 1960s and 1970s Martin's movie persona of a boozing playboy prompted a series of films as secret agent Matt Helm and his own television variety show. Airport (1970) followed, featuring Martin as a pilot. He also played a phony priest in The Cannonball Run (1981). His last public role was a return to the stage, for a cross-country concert tour with Davis and Sinatra. He spoke affectionately of his fellow Rat Packers. "The satisfaction that I get out of working with these two bums is that we have more laughs than the audience has", Martin said.
    IMDb mini-biography by
    Anonymous

Mini biography-2
    If there had to be one image for cool, the one man to fit it would be Dean Martin. Born Dino Paul Crocetti in Steubenville, Ohio, he spoke only Italian until age five. Martin came up the hard way, with such jobs as a boxer (named Kid Crochet), a steel mill worker, a gas station worker and a card shark. In 1946 he got his first ticket to stardom, as he teamed up with another hard worker who was also trying to hit it big in Hollywood: Jerry Lewis. The duo were to become one of Hollywood's truly great teams. They lasted 11 years together, and starred in 16 movies. They were unstoppable, but personality conflicts broke up the team. Even without Lewis, Martin was a true superstar. Movies such as The Young Lions (1958) and Rio Bravo (1959) brought him international fame. One of his best remembered films is in Ocean's Eleven (1960), in which he played Sam Harmon alongside the other members of the legendary Rat Pack: Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford. After this point, Dean went on to more critically acclaimed ventures, such as in Sergeants 3 (1962), Toys in the Attic (1963), and Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? (1963). In 1965 Martin explored a new method for entertaining his fans: Television. That year he hosted one of the most successful TV series in history: "The Dean Martin Show" (1965), which lasted until 1973. In 1965 it won a Golden Globe Award. In 1973 he renamed it "The Dean Martin Comedy Hour", and from 1974 to 1984 it was renamed again, this time "The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts". It became one of the most successful TV series in history, skewering such greats as Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, James Stewart, George Burns' Milton Berle, Don Rickles Phyllis Diller, and Joe Namath. After the 1980s Martin took it easy--that is, until his son, Dean Paul Martin died in a plane crash in 1987. Devastated by the loss, from which he never recovered, he walked out on a reunion tour with Sinatra and Davis. Martin spent his final years in solitude. He died on Christmas Day, 1995.
    IMDb mini-biography by deanmartin101

Personal Quotes
    "If people want to think I get drunk and stay out all night, let 'em. That's how I got here, you know."

"I've got seven kids. The three words you hear most around my house are 'hello,' 'goodbye,' and 'I'm pregnant."

To those who felt he joked his way through songs during concert and nightclub appearences: "You wanna hear it straight, buy the album."

Upon filing for divorce from his second wife: "I know it's the gentlemanly thing to let the wife file. But, then, everybody knows I'm no gentleman."

"I drink because my body craves, needs alcohol. I don't drink, my body's a drunk."

On Joey Bishop: Most people think of Joey Bishop as just a replacement for Johnny Carson. That's NOT true. We in show business know better: we don't think of him at ALL.

On Phyllis Diller: Phyllis is the women of about whom Picasso once said, "Somebody throw a drop cloth over that."

On Frank Sinatra: In high school, Frank never participated in extra-curricular activities, like nature study, paintings or ceramics. Frank's hobby was a most interesting one: he was an amateur gynecologist.

On James Stewart: There's a statue of Jimmy Stewart in the Hollywood Wax Museum, and the statue talks better than he does.

On Orson Welles: What can you say about Orson Welles that Don Rickles hasn't already said about him?!

On Bob Hope: As a young boy, Bob didn't have much to say. He couldn't afford writers then.

On Don Rickles: Don's idea of a fun evening is to show home movies of the attack on Pearl Harbor...with a laugh track.

On Johnny Carson: Johnny Carson is a comedian who is seen every night in millions of bedrooms all over America...and that's why his last wife left him.

On Milton Berle: Milton Berle is an inspiration to every young person that wants to get into show business. Hard work, perseverance, and discipline: all the things you need...when you have no talent.

On his tee-total friend Pat Boone: "I once shook hands with Pat Boone, and my whole right side sobered up!"

Salary
    Airport (1970) $7,000,000
    Ada (1961) $300,000
    All in a Night's Work (1961) $250,000
    The Young Lions (1958) $35,000

Filmography
    Actor
    1. Half Nelson (1985) (TV) .... Mr. Martin
    2. Cannonball Run II (1984) .... Jamie Blake
    3. The Cannonball Run (1981) .... Jamie Blake
    4. "The Big Show"
    - Episode #1.3 (1980) TV Episode .... Host
    5. "Charlie's Angels"
    - Angels in Vegas: Part 1 (1978) TV Episode .... Frank Howell
    - Angels in Vegas: Part 2 (1978) TV Episode .... Frank Howell
    6. Mr. Ricco (1975) .... Joe Ricco
    7. Showdown (1973) .... Billy Massey
    8. The Powder Room (1971) (TV) .... Host
    9. Something Big (1971) .... Joe Baker
    10. Airport (1970) .... Capt. Vernon Demerest
    11. The Wrecking Crew (1969) .... Matt Helm
    12. 5 Card Stud (1968) .... Van Morgan
    13. Bandolero! (1968) .... Dee Bishop
    14. How to Save a Marriage (And Ruin Your Life) (1968) .... David Sloane
    15. The Ambushers (1967) .... Matt Helm
    16. Rough Night in Jericho (1967) .... Alex Flood
    17. Murderers' Row (1966) .... Matt Helm
    18. Texas Across the River (1966) .... Sam Hollis
    19. The Silencers (1966) .... Matt Helm
    20. Marriage on the Rocks (1965) .... Ernie Brewer
    21. The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) .... Tom Elder
    22. Kiss Me, Stupid (1964) .... Dino
    23. "Rawhide"
    - Canliss (1964) TV Episode .... Gurd Canliss
    24. Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964) .... Little John
    25. What a Way to Go! (1964) .... Leonard 'Lennie' Crawley
    26. Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? (1963) .... Jason Steel
    27. 4 for Texas (1963) .... Joe Jarrett
    28. Toys in the Attic (1963) .... Julian Berniers
    29. Come Blow Your Horn (1963) (uncredited) .... The Bum
    30. "The Dick Powell Show"
    ... aka The Dick Powell Theatre (new title)
    - Tissue of Hate (1963) TV Episode .... Guest Host
    31. Canzoni nel mondo (1963)
    ... aka 38-24-36 (USA)
    32. Who's Got the Action? (1962) .... Steve Flood
    33. The Road to Hong Kong (1962) (uncredited) .... The 'Grape' on plutomium
    34. Sergeants 3 (1962) .... Sergeant Chip Deal
    35. Something's Got to Give (1962) .... Nicholas 'Nick' Arden
    36. Ada (1961) .... Bo Gillis
    37. All in a Night's Work (1961) .... Tony Ryder
    38. Pepe (1960) .... Cameo appearance
    39. Ocean's Eleven (1960) .... Sam Harmon
    40. Bells Are Ringing (1960) .... Jeffrey Moss
    41. Who Was That Lady? (1960) .... Michael Haney
    42. "Startime"
    ... aka Ford Startime
    ... aka Lincoln-Mercury Startime
    - The Dean Martin Variety Show II (1960) TV Episode .... Host
    - The Dean Martin Variety Show I (1959) TV Episode .... Host
    43. Career (1959) .... Maurice 'Maury' Novak
    44. Rio Bravo (1959) .... Dude ('Borachón')
    45. Some Came Running (1958) .... Bama Dillert (professional gambler)
    46. The Young Lions (1958) .... Michael Whiteacre
    47. Ten Thousand Bedrooms (1957) .... Ray Hunter
    48. Hollywood or Bust (1956) .... Steve Wiley
    49. Pardners (1956) .... Slim Mosely Jr./Slim Mosely Sr.
    50. Artists and Models (1955) .... Rick Todd
    51. You're Never Too Young (1955) .... Bob Miles
    52. 3 Ring Circus (1954) .... Peter 'Pete' Nelson
    ... aka Jerrico, the Wonder Clown
    53. Living It Up (1954) .... Dr. Steve Harris
    54. Money from Home (1953) .... Herman 'Honey Talk' Nelson
    55. The Caddy (1953) .... Joe Anthony
    56. Scared Stiff (1953) .... Larry Todd
    57. The Stooge (1953) .... Bill Miller
    58. Road to Bali (1952) (uncredited) .... Man in Lala's dream
    59. Jumping Jacks (1952) .... Chick Allen
    60. Sailor Beware (1952) .... Al Crowthers
    61. That's My Boy (1951) .... Bill Baker
    62. At War with the Army (1950) .... 1st Sgt. Vic Puccinelli
    63. My Friend Irma Goes West (1950) .... Steve Laird
    64. My Friend Irma (1949) .... Steve Laird
    65. "Welcome Aboard"
    - Episode dated 3 October 1948 (1948) TV Episode

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. My House in Umbria (2003) (TV) (singer: "Cha Cha Cha D'Amour")
    2. Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days (2001) (TV) (dedicatee)
    3. Panic (2000) (singer: "Sway (Remix) ")
    4. Payback (1999) (singer: "Ain't That a Kick in the Head", "Sway" and "You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You")
    5. Babe: Pig in the City (1998) (singer: "That's Amore")
    6. Visions of Italy, Northern Style (1998) (TV) (singer: "Volare")
    7. Money Talks (1997) (singer: "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You")
    8. Donnie Brasco (1997) (singer: "Return to Me")
    9. Striptease (1996) (singer: "Memories Are Made of This" and "Return To Me")
    10. Grumpier Old Men (1995) (singer: "Volare", "Innamorata" and "That's Amore")
    ... aka Grumpy Old Men 2
    11. Parents (1989) (singer: "Memories Are Made of This")
    12. 5 Card Stud (1968) (singer: title song)
    13. Kiss Me, Stupid (1964) (singer: "S Wonderful") (uncredited)
    14. Rio Bravo (1959) (singer: "Rio Bravo" and "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me") (uncredited)
    15. The 30th Annual Academy Awards (1958) (TV) (singer: "All the Way")
    16. Pardners (1956) (singer: "The Wind! The Wind!", "Me 'N You 'N the Moon" and "Pardners") (uncredited)
    17. Artists and Models (1955) (singer: "Artists and Models", "The Lucky Song", "When You Pretend" and "You Look So Familiar") (uncredited)
    18. The 27th Annual Academy Awards (1955) (TV) (singer: "Three Coins in the Fountain")
    19. 3 Ring Circus (1954) (singer: "It's a Big, Wide Wonderful World") (uncredited)
    ... aka Jerrico, the Wonder Clown
    20. The 26th Annual Academy Awards (1954) (TV) (singer: "That's Amore")
    21. The Caddy (1953) (singer: "It's a Whistle-in' Kinda Mornin", "It Takes a Lot of Little Likes to Make {One Big Love}", "That's Amore {That's Love}", "What Wouldcha Do Without Me?" and "You're The Right One") (uncredited)
    22. Jumping Jacks (1952) (singer: "The Parachute Jump", "The Big Blue Sky {Is the Place for Me}", "I Know A Dream When I See One" and "Keep A Little Dream Handy") (uncredited)

Himself
    1. "Biography"
    - Dean Martin: Everybody Loves Somebody (1999) TV Episode .... Subject
    2. Sammy Davis, Jr. 60th Anniversary Celebration (1990) (TV) .... Himself
    3. Las Vegas: An All-Star 75th Anniversary (1987) (TV) .... Host
    4. Classic Comedy Teams (1986) (V) .... Martin And Lewis
    5. "Half Nelson" (1985) TV Series .... Himself (1985)
    6. Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars (1984) (TV) .... Himself
    ... aka Bob Hope's Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars (USA: complete title)
    7. James Bond: The First 21 Years (1983) (TV) .... Himself
    8. Christmas at Sea World (1981) (TV) .... Himself
    ... aka Dean Martin's Christmas at Sea World (USA: complete title)
    9. Ladies and Gentlemen... Bob Newhart, Part II (1981) (TV)
    10. Shirley MacLaine... 'Every Little Movement' (1980) (TV) .... Himself
    11. Sinatra: The First 40 Years (1980) (TV)
    12. "Vega$"
    - The Usurper (1979) TV Episode .... Himself
    13. "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo"
    ... aka Lobo (new title)
    - Dean Martin and the Moonshiners (1979) TV Episode .... Himself
    14. Bing Crosby: His Life and Legend (1978) (TV) .... Himself
    15. Sinatra and Friends (1977) (TV) .... Himself
    16. The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Frank Sinatra (1977) (TV) .... Himself - Roastmaster
    17. NBC: The First Fifty Years - A Closer Look (1976) (TV) .... Himself
    18. Joys (1976) (TV) .... Dean Martin
    ... aka Bob Hope Special: Bob Hope in 'Joys' (USA: complete title)
    19. "The Sonny and Cher Show"
    - Episode #1.1 (1976) TV Episode .... Himself
    20. CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years (1976) (TV) .... Himself
    21. "V.I.P.-Schaukel"
    - Episode #5.4 (1975) TV Episode .... Himself
    22. Lucy Gets Lucky (1975) (TV) .... Himself
    ... aka Lucy Gets Lucky (USA)
    23. The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball (1975) (TV) .... Roastmaster
    24. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"
    ... aka The Best of Carson (USA: rerun title)
    - Episode dated 2 October 1973 (1973) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 1 October 1970 (1970) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 6 March 1969 (1969) TV Episode .... Himself
    25. Swing Out, Sweet Land (1970) (TV) .... Eli Whitney
    26. Jack Benny's Twentieth Anniversary Special (1970) (TV) .... Himself
    27. "The Flip Wilson Show"
    - Episode #1.8 (1970) TV Episode .... Himself
    28. Ann-Margret: From Hollywood with Love (1969) (TV) .... Himself
    29. Rowan & Martin at the Movies (1968) .... Himself
    30. Movin' with Nancy (1967) (TV) .... Nancy's 'Fairy Goduncle'
    31. The 39th Annual Academy Awards (1967) (TV) .... Himself - Presenter: Best Song
    32. "The Lucy Show"
    ... aka The Lucille Ball Show (USA: first title)
    - Lucy Dates Dean Martin (1966) TV Episode .... Himself
    33. "The Dean Martin Show" (1965) TV Series .... Himself/Host
    ... aka The Dean Martin Comedy Hour (new title)
    34. "The Hollywood Palace"
    - Episode #1.24 (1964) TV Episode .... Himself - Host/Singer
    35. The Judy Garland Show (1962) (TV) .... Himself
    ... aka Judy, Frank & Dean: The Legendary Concert (USA: video title)
    36. "Celebrity Golf"
    ... aka The Golf Channel Presents Celebrity Golf with Sam Snead (USA)
    - Dean Martin (????) TV Episode
    37. The 31st Annual Academy Awards (1959) (TV) .... Himself - Co-Presenter: Best Original Song
    38. The 30th Annual Academy Awards (1958) (TV) .... Himself - Performer
    39. "Person to Person"
    - Episode dated 7 February 1958 (1958) TV Episode .... Himself
    40. "The Dinah Shore Chevy Show"
    ... aka The Dinah Shore Show (USA: sixth season title)
    - Episode dated 19 April 1957 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 10 April 1956 (1956) TV Episode .... Himself
    41. "This Is Your Life"
    - Milton Berle (1956) TV Episode .... Himself
    42. Screen Snapshots: Hollywood, City of Stars (1956) .... Himself
    43. The 28th Annual Academy Awards (1956) (TV) .... Himself - Performer
    44. The 27th Annual Academy Awards (1955) (TV) .... Himself - Performer
    45. A Star Is Born World Premiere (1954) (TV) .... Himself
    46. "The Jack Benny Program"
    ... aka The Jack Benny Show
    - The Road to Nairobi (1954) TV Episode .... Himself
    47. The 26th Annual Academy Awards (1954) (TV) .... Himself - Performer
    48. "What's My Line?"
    - Episode dated 24 January 1954 (1954) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    49. Screen Snapshots: Thirtieth Anniversary Special (1950) .... Himself
    50. "The Colgate Comedy Hour" (1950) TV Series .... Himself (Guest Co-Host, 1950-1955)
    ... aka Colgate Variety Hour (new title)
    ... aka Michael Todd Revue (USA: subtitle)
    51. "Toast of the Town"
    ... aka The Ed Sullivan Show (new title)
    - Episode #1.1 (1948) TV Episode (as Martin & Lewis) .... Himself
    52. Film Vodvil: Art Mooney and Orchestra (1946) .... Himself - Singer with Art Mooney Band
    53. "A&E Biography"
    - Lucky Luciano: Chairman of the Mob (????) TV Episode .... Himself

Archive Footage
    1. "The American Experience"
    - Las Vegas: An Unconventional History: Part 1 (2005) TV Episode .... Himself
    2. "Getaway"
    - Episode #14.32 (2005) TV Episode .... Sam Harmon
    3. Dean Martin: Encore (2004) (V) .... Himself
    4. Strangers in the Night: The Bert Kaempfert Story (2003) (TV) .... Himself
    5. Live and Swingin': The Ultimate Rat Pack Collection (2003) (V) .... Himself
    6. Mayor of the Sunset Strip (2003) .... Himself
    7. Bob Hope at 100 (2003) (TV) (uncredited) .... Himself
    8. On Stage at the Kennedy Center: The Mark Twain Prize (2002) (TV) (uncredited) .... Himself
    9. "Sinatra: The Classic Duets" (2002) .... Himself
    10. Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days (2001) (TV) .... Himself
    11. The Nightclub Years (2001) (TV) (uncredited) .... Himself
    12. ABC 2000: The Millennium (1999) (TV)
    13. "The Rat Pack" (1999) .... Himself
    14. The Best of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts (1998) (TV) .... Himself - Roastee(Guest of Honor)
    15. Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's (1997) (uncredited) .... Himself (with Jerry Lewis)
    16. Bob Hope: Celebrity Bloopers (1997) (V) .... Himself
    17. "The Real Las Vegas" (1996) .... Himself
    18. Classe américaine, La (1993) .... Dino
    19. Marilyn: Something's Got to Give (1990) (TV)
    20. That's Dancing! (1985)
    21. Terror in the Aisles (1984) .... (segment "Scared Stiff")
    22. The Great Standups (1984) (TV) .... Himself
    23. TV's Funniest Gameshow Moments (1984) (TV) .... Himself
    24. "The Hollywood Greats"
    - Judy Garland (????) TV Episode .... Himself
    25. "The Hollywood Palace"
    - Episode #7.17 (1970) TV Episode .... Himself
    26. "Omnibus"
    - Fear and Loathing in Gonzovision (????) TV Episode .... Himself
    27. "Toast of the Town"
    - Episode #10.40 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    28. "The E! True Hollywood Story"
    - Dean Martin (????) TV Episode .... Himself

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 10 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Dean Martin (born Dino Paul Crocetti) was an American singer, film actor, television star and comedian.

One of the most popular and enduring American entertainers of the mid-20th Century, Martin was nicknamed the "King of Cool"
    due to his seemingly effortless charisma and self-assuredness.
    A member of the "Rat Pack," Martin was a major star in four areas of show business: concert stage/night clubs,
    recordings, motion pictures, and television.
    He was the host of the successful television variety program The Dean Martin Show (1965–1974),
    and subsequently The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts (1974–1985).

Martin's relaxed, warbling crooning voice earned him dozens of hit singles including his signature songs
    "Memories Are Made of This", "That's Amore", "Everybody Loves Somebody",
    "You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You", "Sway", "Volare" and "Ain't That a Kick in the Head?".

Dean Martin, who was well liked by Duke,
    unfortunately only made 2 films with him,

The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) .... Tom Elder
    Rio Bravo (1959) .... Dude ('Borachón')

Duke often appeared on Dean's TV shows, as a guest.
    The chemistry between Duke and Dean was obvious, and it's noticeable
    on Rio Bravo , where Duke, has good rapport with him.
    Howard Hawks originally wanted Montgomery Clift, to play the part of Dude,
    but Clift was not interested.
    Pressure from an agency, resulted in Hawk's testing the singer.
    Hawks wanted to see, Dean early one morning, he hired him on the spot.
    For the first time, Dean was asked to test his acting ability,

he recalled,

It was a very good role, more dramatic, than anything I had ever done....

Marlon Brando read the script, and offered him some advice
    Dean said,

He didn't tell me how to play the part, he just told me what to think about.
    I play the drunk, with the DT's.I'm fighting the bottle, the bad guys,
    and John Wayne, the Sheriff, who make me his deputy.

Dean, went on to play a believeable character, even down to the crying bit,
    which un-nerved him at first.

Howard Hawks, was impressed,

Dean's a damn good actor...but he's a fellow who floats through life,
    he has to be urged. He has to get some kind of hint, something going,
    otherwise, hell,he won't even rehearse his shows,he wants to get on and play golf.

Duke and Hawks, made sure there was no golf at Old Tucson!!

They remained good friends, and Duke liked Dean's casual way.
    During the making of The Sons of Katie Elder , they spent most of their free time together.
    They often played cards after dinner, and drank together on weekends.

Aissa Wayne recalled:-

Late one night, the week I was in Durango....
    I was jolted awake, by a racket outside our hotel room.
    Stumbling outside, I saw the cast, crew, writers and paparazzi standing outside their rooms,* waving and grinning. Down below in the dirty street, my father and Dean Martin, marched arm in arm, singing their booze-soaked lungs out..

During filming, just after Duke's major surgery,
    Dean said about Duke,

Someone else, would have laid around, feeling sorry for himself, for a year.
    But Duke, he just doesn't know, how to be sick.....
    he's recuperating the hard way.He's two loud speaking guys in one.
    Me, when people see me, they sometimes say,
    "Oh, there goes Perry Como" But there's only one John Wayne, and nobody makes any mistakes, about that.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

Originally posted by ethanedwards
    Underwent rhinoplasty when he was 27. Procedure was paid for by Lou Costello.

What?!?!?!? Dean Martin had a nose job?? You mean that nose isn't the one he was born with? I am devastated!

Well, not really . . . but I never knew that little tidbit :) .

There sure were plenty of sites for Dino, as you can see -

http://www.deanmartinfancenter.com/
    http://www.deanmartin.tv/
    http://www.ualberta.ca/~mmalowan/dino/
    http://www.who2.com/deanmartin.html
    http://www.parabrisas.com/d_martind.php
    http://www.rhapsody.com/deanmartin
    http://www.tv.com/dean-martin-celebrity-ro...57/summary.html
    http://www.sicilianculture.com/people/martin.htm
    http://www.nndb.com/people/871/000023802/

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I enjoy this Mrs. C. You and Keith make this a fun place to learn.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Two things. When Frank Sinatra arranged for the Martin and Lewis reunion, it was on Lewis annual MD Telethon in front of millions of people. Frank and Jerry were out on stage kibbutzing and out walked Dean and, Jerry just melted. they both embraced like old friends and history was made. Now, when Jerry Lewis is interviewed and questions come up about his relationship with Dean, he has nothing but kindness and good words about his old partner.
    The second thing is about Deans club, called Dinos. It was on the Sunset Strip and back during the late 50's, early 60's, a tv show called 77 Sunset Strip used Dinos as a backdrop for the show itself. It was a private detective show and they had their office right across the driveway from Dinos. One of the characters, Kookie, played by Edd Byrnes was a valet car parker in the show and worked at Dinos. Thing is, Dean Martin, as far as I know had nothing to do with the show and never even made an appearance on the show.

• Great clips Guys Thanks. It nice than Dean and Jerry reconciled. I noticed in Nutty Professor DVD that Jerry had nothing but kindness and good words to say about Dean.

Out of all Sinatra rat pack Dean was the one I liked best and the best adjusted of the bunch.

Mike

• That Duke clip with him singing Sinatra was hilarious!!! Are any of Dean's TV Shows out on DVD? Maybe the Roast shows as well? That is some funny stuff!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Wow! What a great clip! Thanks for posting it!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Nice to see that great clip!! And people had question's about his religion? Just listen to what he said. He is teaching her the Lord's Prayer and Psalms....

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne