There are 65 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 77,378 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Arness had a good run. We had a great arrangement - he loved acting in westerns and I enjoyed watching them. Somehow though, the later Gunsmoke episodes didn't interest me but the movies did.
    At any rate, I'll miss Big Jim. Another one gone.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I really enjoyed the Gunsmoke series while growing up. I remember it would come on Monday nights at 7 pm, and see Marshal Matt Dillon drawing his gun on the bad guys. It was fun to start the week with such a great series. I am sorry for his passing, but he did live a good life. He was 88 years old. The sun is truly setting in the west. R.I.P James Arness.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I grew up watching Gunsmoke. That show was part of my life for 20 years. He also scared the crap out of me as a young boy as the Thing.James say hello to Duke for us.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Wow, it seems every time one of the great ones would pass on, I would think, Well, at least James Arness is still alive. Guess I won't be able to say that anymore . . . .

He did a great job in his role as Matt Dillon and I've always enjoyed his roles alongside Duke.

In an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, I read the following anecdote -

The actor was 32 when friend John Wayne declined the lead role in "Gunsmoke" and recommended Arness instead. Afraid of being typecast, Arness initially rejected it.
    "Go ahead and take it, Jim," Wayne urged him. "You're too big for pictures. Guys like Gregory Peck and I don't want a big lug like you towering over us. Make your mark in television."

May he rest in peace.

Chester :newyear:

• Goodye and RIP, James Arness - there will always be a place in our hearts for You and I am sure, You found a wonderful place in cowboy-heaven!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Amanda Blake died some time ago I think in the early to mid 1990s. Most of the cast, with the exception of Buck Taylor and Burt Reynolds, are now sadly gone.

• Amanda Bake died in 1989.

The story I get on her death is that she met a bi-sexual businessman here in Austin, fell in love with him and got married? Anyway, she contracted Aides from him-or so the story goes that I read just yesterday.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Wow, it seems every time one of the great ones would pass on, I would think, Well, at least James Arness is still alive. Guess I won't be able to say that anymore . . . .
    May he rest in peace.

Chester :newyear:

I always had the same thoughts Chester. It kind of feels like losing a family member. There are not many of The Great Ones left!

• Arness was making "The Thing", at RKO which was owned by reclusive Howard Hughes. One day the special effects/make up guy took Arness for a walk across the lot to have his final costume approved by producer Howard Hawks. Jim was in his full 7 foot costume with a bald head and wearing the claws. Robert Mitchum strolled by Jim, stopped, bowed from the waist and said "How do you do, Mr. Hughes".

We deal in lead, friend.