Robert Mitchum

There are 22 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,654 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• ROBERT MITCHUM

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of birth
    6 August 1917
    Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA

Date of death
    1 July 1997
    Santa Barbara, California, USA. (lung cancer and emphysema)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Bob Mitchum

Birth name
    Robert Charles Durman Mitchum

Nickname
    Mitch

Height
    6' 1" (1.85 m)

Spouse
    Dorothy Mitchum (15 March 1940 - 1 July 1997) (his death) 3 children

Trivia
    Father of James Mitchum, Christopher Mitchum, and Trini Mitchum

Brother of John Mitchum and Julie Mitchum

Grandfather of actor Bentley Mitchum.

Grandfather of actress Carrie Mitchum.

Sidelines: Played the saxophone and wrote poetry.

In 1947, he and Gary Gray recorded the songs from "Rachel and the Stranger" for Delta records' soundtrack album. In 1968, he recorded another album, entitled "That Man Robert Mitchum ... Sings". It included the track, "Little Old Wine Drinker Me", which later became a hit for Dean Martin. In 1998, these songs were released on CD as "Robert Mitchum Sings."

Served in the Army of the United States, under service number 39 744 068, from April 12, 1945 to October 11, 1945. Was discharged as a Private First Class and received the World War II Victory Medal.

Was one of four actors (with Jack Nicholson, Bette Davis, and Faye Dunaway) to have two villainous roles ranked in the American Film Institute's 100 years of The Greatest Heroes and Villains, as Max Cady in "Cape Fear" at #28 and as Reverend Harry Powell in "The Night of the Hunter" at #29.

He got into trouble for some anti-semitic remarks he made in an interview promoting "The Winds of War" at his home in 1983. Although these were apparently in jest, as he had close Jewish friends, he refused to apologize, undoubtedly because that would spoil his "bad boy" image.

Because Charles Laughton had a personal dislike for children, Mitchum actually directed his child co-stars for the whole shoot of "The Night of the Hunter."

Carefully maintained a facade of indifference, always lazily insisting that he made movies just so he could get laid, score some pot, and make money, and cared nothing about art. This is surely true of some films which he likely picked to make money, but certain directors and films seemed to secretly pique his interest, including his work with Charles Laughton, John Huston, & Howard Hawks.

He was voted the 61st Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

Mentioned by name as part of the Velvet Underground song "New Age" (from the 1970 album "Loaded").

In the 50s, Mitchum was selected by Howard Hughes to appear in a series of films he was producing. Hughes considered Mitchum a "friend," but (as a paranoid recluse) hardly met the actor. Mitchum was half-way put-off and half- way amused by the "crazy, old man" and clearly saw that he was a surrogate for Hughes as the strapping actor "romanced" young starlets on screen.

Actor Michael Madsen called him his "role model" and inspiration to take up acting as a profession.

Was a close friend of Richard Egan, and served as a pallbearer at his funeral in 1987.

Was named #23 greatest actor on The 50 Greatest Screen Legends by the American Film Institute

Great-grandfather of Cappy Van Dien & Grace Van Dien. Grandfather in-law of their father Casper Van Dien.

Turned down the lead role of Gen. George S. Patton Jr. in Patton (1970), allegedly because he believed he would ruin the film.

Treated for alcoholism at the Betty Ford Center in 1984.

Died one day before his The Big Sleep (1978) co-star James Stewart.

Biography in: "American National Biography". Supplement 1, pp. 414-416. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.

Although he had numerous affairs throughout his marriage, he remained with Dorothy for nearly sixty years.

Addressed the Republican National Convention in 1992.

He was of Scottish, Norwegian, Irish, and possibly Native-American descent.

He was cremated and his ashes scattered at sea by Dorothy and neighbor Jane Russell. At Mitchum's insistence, no memorial service was held.

Turned down Tony Curtis's role in The Defiant Ones (1958). Mitchum, a real-life veteran of a Southern chain gang, claimed to disbelieve the premise that a black and white man would be chained together. He said such a thing would never happen in the South. Over the years, this reason was corrupted to the point where many people now believe Mitchum turned down the role because he didn't want to be chained to a black man, an absolute falsehood.

His driving license from 1950 gave his height as 6' even, one inch less that was always reported.

His vocal support for the Vietnam War failed to affect his appeal with American youth, and in 1968 a poll of teenagers declared him the coolest celebrity. Mitchum responded that they must have missed his recent films.

During a break in filming "War and Remembrance" (1988) (mini) in August 1987, Mitchum replaced his friend John Huston as an aging millionaire in Mr. North (1988) after Huston, who suffered from emphysema, was hospitalized with pneumonia. In October 1987 Mitchum filled in for Edward Woodward, who was recovering from a heart attack, in a special two-part episode of "The Equalizer" (1985).

Referenced by name in the song "The Fun Machine Took a Sh-t and Died" by Queens of the Stone Age.

His arrest for marijuana possession in the late 40s was one of the first times a major actor had been jailed for this crime.

Was the defendant in FCT (Federal Taxation Commissioner) v Mitchum (1965), a famous taxation case in Australia, in relation to income earned in Australia while working there on the film "The Sundowners"

Personal Quotes
    "The only difference between me and my fellow actors is that I've spent more time in jail."

"I gave up being serious about making pictures around the time I made a film with Greer Garson and she took 125 takes to say no."

"I started out to be a sex fiend but couldn't pass the physical."

"Movies bore me; especially my own."

"I've still got the same attitude I had when I started. I haven't changed anything but my underwear."

Edward Dmytryk: "On the surface he is irresponsible and vague and yes - wacky. Underneath he knows the score as few men in Hollywood do."

Charles Laughton: "All the tough talk is a blind. He is a literate, gracious, kind man with wonderful manners and he speaks beautifully - when he wants to. He would make the best Macbeth of any actor living."

John Huston: "He is a rarity among actors, hard-working, noncomplaining, amazingly perceptive, one of the most shockingly underrated stars in business."

Fred Zinneman: "He is one of the finest instinctive actors in the business, almost in the same class as Spencer Tracy."

David Lean: "Mitchum can, simply by being there, make almost any other actor look like a hole in the screen."

"Listen. I got three expressions: looking left, looking right and looking straight ahead." (on his acting talents)

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

(on press stories) "They're all true - booze, brawls, broads, all true. Make up some more if you want to."

"When I drop dead and they rush to the drawer, there's going to be nothing in it but a note saying 'later'."

Vincent Price: "He writes his poetry and his songs and tells his stories - some true, some not. It doesn't matter, because they're all funny. But he is a complete anachronism. He claims he doesn't care about acting, but he's an extraordinary actor. He's one of that group in Hollywood who are such extraordinary personalities that people forget they're marvelous actors."

"I never take any notice of reviews — unless a critic has thought up some new way of describing me. That old one about my lizard eyes and anteater nose and the way I sleep my way through pictures is so hackneyed now."

Years ago, I saved up a million dollars from acting, a lot of money in those days, and I spent it all on a horse farm in Tucson. Now when I go down there, I look at that place and I realize my whole acting career adds up to a million dollars worth of horseshit.

I have two acting styles: with and without a horse.

Every two or three years, I knock off for a while. That way I'm always the new girl in the whorehouse.

"I never changed anything, except my socks and my underwear. And I never did anything to glorify myself or improve my lot. I took what came and did the best I could with it."

When Mitchum, who served time for marijuana possission, was asked what it was like in jail, he replied, "It's like Palm Springs without the riff-raff."

"What you have to understand is that a McQueen performance just naturally lends itself to monotony."

Salary
    "War and Remembrance" (1988) (mini) $1,000,000
    "The Winds of War" (1983) (mini) $1,250,000
    Agency (1980) $500,000
    Ryan's Daughter (1970) $870,000
    Young Billy Young (1969) $200,000 + 20% of gross
    Secret Ceremony (1968) $150,000
    Mister Moses (1965) $400,000
    The Last Time I Saw Archie (1961) $100,000
    The Sundowners (1960) $200,000
    Home from the Hill (1960) $200,000 + % of gross
    River of No Return (1954) $5,000/week
    Rachel and the Stranger (1948) $3,000/week
    Out of the Past (1947) $10,400
    Desire Me (1947) $25,000
    Undercurrent (1946) $25,000
    Minesweeper (1943) $75/day
    Border Patrol (1943) $100/week
    Aerial Gunner (1943) $75/day
    Hoppy Serves a Writ (1943) $100/week

Mini Biography
    Underrated American leading man of enormous ability who sublimates his talents beneath an air of disinterest. Born to a railroad worker who died in a train accident when he was two, Robert Mitchum and his siblings (including brother John Mitchum, later also an actor) were raised by his mother and stepfather (a British army major) in Connecticut, New York and Delaware. An early contempt for authority led to discipline problems, and Mitchum spent good portions of his teen years adventuring on the open road. On one of these trips, at the age of 14, he was charged with vagrancy and sentenced to a Georgia chain gang, from which he escaped. Working a wide variety of jobs (including ghostwriter for astrologist Carroll Righter), Mitchum discovered acting in a Long Beach, CA, amateur theater company. He worked at Lockheed Aircraft, where job stress caused him to suffer temporary blindness. About this time he began to obtain small roles in films, appearing in dozens within a very brief time. In 1945 he was cast as Lt. Walker in Story of G.I. Joe (1945) and received an Oscar nomination as Best Supporting Actor. His star ascended rapidly, and he became an icon of 1940s film noir, though equally adept at westerns and romantic dramas. His apparently lazy style and seen-it-all demeanor proved highly attractive to men and women, and by the 1950s he was a true superstar despite a brief prison term for marijuana usage in 1949, which seemed to enhance rather than diminish his "bad boy" appeal. Though seemingly dismissive of "art", he worked in tremendously artistically thoughtful projects such as Charles Laughton's The Night of the Hunter (1955), and even co-wrote and composed an oratorio produced at the Hollywood Bowl by Orson Welles. A master of accents and seemingly unconcerned about his star image, he played in both forgettable and unforgettable films with unswerving nonchalance, leading many to overlook the prodigious talent he can bring to a project that he finds compelling. He moved into television in the 1980s as his film opportunities diminished, winning new fans with "The Winds of War" (1983) (mini) and "War and Remembrance" (1988) (mini). His sons James Mitchum and Christopher Mitchum are actors, as is his grandson Bentley Mitchum. His Last film was _James Dean: Race with Destiny (1997)_ with Casper Van Dien as James Dean.
    Jim Beaver

Mini Biography-2
    from Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia:
    An underrated performer for much of his lengthy career, Robert Mitchum in recent years has finally earned the respect that should have been paid him years ago-although, ironically, most of his recent screen work has shown the aging lion guilty of the apathetic listlessness of which he was accused in earlier days. Tall and broad chested, with sleepy eyes, Mitchum always moved with languid, catlike grace and delivered his dialogue in deep voice with careful deliberation, a mode of acting that didn't always endear him to critics. But more often than not, something wasseething beneath that placid, casual exterior. There wasalways more to Mitchum than the obvious, whether benign or malignant. And that quality has kept him in stardom's top rank for many years.

As a youth Mitchum wandered around the country, sometimes taking odd jobs, sometimes traveling aimlessly like a hobo. The itinerant finally settled down in 1940, marrying his high-school sweetheart and taking a job in a southern California airplane factory. Bitten by the acting bug, he joined a local theater group and drifted into movie work in 1943. He played heavies (and one sympathetic secondary character) in several Hopalong Cassidy Westerns that year, including Bar 20, Hoppy Serves a Writ, Border Patrol and Colt Comrades Mitchum crashed other studios and took small roles in war films and horse operas, including Beyond the Last Frontier, The Lone Star Trail, Corvette K-225, Gung Ho!, The Leather Burners, Doughboys in Ireland, Aerial Gunner, Cry Havoc, The Human Comedy and Minesweeper-all in 1943! That year he also supported Laurel and Hardy in The Dancing Masters the first of his relatively few comedies.

RKO signed Mitchum in 1944 and gave him his big break, replacing cowboy star Tim Holt (who'd gone into wartime service) in two Zane Grey B Westerns, Nevada (1944) and West of the Pecos (1945). No great shakes as pictures, they did at least provide Mitchum with his first starring roles. He also made a cheapie thriller for Monogram, When Strangers Marry (1944), which elicited surprisingly favorable reviews, all of which directed attention to Mitchum's fine performance as a supposedly sympathetic character who turned out to be the heavy. That same year, his well-received supporting turn as Lt. Walker in The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) earned him an Oscar nomination. (After playing so many soldiers, he was finally drafted in 1945, but spent only a few months in the service before the war ended.)

By now a recognizable figure, Mitchum was loaned to MGM for Undercurrent (1946) and Desire Me and to Warner Bros. for Pursued (both 1947). But his home studio, RKO, gave him a big buildup with good parts in high-profile films such as Till the End of Time, The Locket (both 1946), Crossfire, Out of the Past (both 1947, the latter being the archetypal film noir and a cornerstone in the building of Mitchum's tough-guy screen persona), Rachel and the Stranger (1948, in which he took third billing behind Loretta Young and William Holden), and Blood on the Moon (also 1948, a moody, atmospheric Western).

A well-publicized (and apparently trumped-up) 1948 arrest for marijuana possession convinced Mitchum that his career was over but, amazingly enough, the public took it in stride; perhaps such behavior wasn't very much out of character for this quietly menacing tough guy. After loaning him to Republic for the first-rate Steinbeck adaptation The Red Pony (1949), RKO kept Mitchum busy in a string of gritty melodramas and action films (and at least one lighthearted romance, 1949's Holiday Affair including The Big Steal (1949), Where Danger Lives (1950), The Racket (cast as a hard-as-nails police captain in one of his best vehicles during this period), My Forbidden Past, His Kind of Woman (all 1951), Macao, One Minute to Zero, Angel Face (all 1952), The Lusty Men (also 1952, excellent as a lonely but independent rodeo cowboy), and Second Chance (1953).She Couldn't Say No (1954), an alleged comedy starring Jean Simmons, cast Mitchum as a small-town doctor in one of his few duds; it ended his decade-long association with RKO, then only a few years from corporate extinction.

At 20th Century-Fox, Mitchum starred in two routine but enjoyable adventure films, White Witch Doctor (1953, opposite Susan Hayward) and River of No Return (1954, opposite Marilyn Monroe). Then he got a career plum: the actor was sublimely menacing as a psychotic religious fanatic (with love and hate tattooed on his knuckles!) who plots to murder two children in The Night of the Hunter (1955), an atmospheric, almost hallucinogenic allegory brilliantly directed by actor Charles Laughton. It remains one of his all-time best films-and performances.

Among the highlights of Mitchum's subsequent career:Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957), in which he played a Marine trapped with nun Deborah Kerr (a favorite and frequent costar) on a Japanese-infested island during World War 2;Thunder Road (1958), a low-budget, high-octane moonshining opus that saw Mitchum's son Jim playing his dad's brother (and which gave Mitchum a hit record in the title tune!);Cape Fear (1962), a taut thriller in which he delivered a truly blood-curdling performance as a slimy ex-convict who menaces lawyer Gregory Peck and his family; El Dorado (1967), which teamed him with John Wayne in Howard Hawks' loose remake of his ownRio Bravo and David Lean's Ryan's Daughter (1970), which proved that he could play completely against type-here, as a quiet Irish schoolteacher.

By 1975, Mitchum's personal popularity and box-office potency had eroded, but he had a surprise hit in that year's Farewell, My Lovely which cast him as Raymond Chandler's world-weary private eye Philip Marlowe. Although he was too old (and too paunchy) for the part, Mitchum acquitted himself nicely in the carefully made, faithfully adapted period piece. (He played Marlowe again in a 1978 remake of The Big Sleep an updated misfire set and shot in England.)

Since then Mitchum has kept himself busy in a succession of theatrical movies, telefilms, and miniseries of varying quality. He even played William Randolph Hearst in a TV movie (1985's The Hearst and Davies Affair his last starring vehicle for the big screen was The Ambassador (1984). A games-player in interviews, he professes indifference about his craft, but the evidence reveals otherwise. It's also clear that in spite of many mediocre films in recent years, he's still capable of delivering the goods when inspired by first-rate material (and/or a good director), as witness The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973), The Yakuza (1975), and Mr. North (1988).

Mitchum, who had always eschewed TV series work, starred in the short-lived series "A Family for Joe" (1990), about which commitment he later claimed to have been deceived. He was also much praised for his work in the starring role of the miniseries "The Winds of War" (1983) and its sequel "War and Remembrance" (1988-89). Sons Jim and Christopher followed in the family footsteps, although without the old man's success. He gave a witty, knowing performance as a police lieutenant in Martin Scorsese's remake of Cape Fear (1991), and returned to the Western genre as narrator in Tombstone (1993). He also appeared in Midnight Ride (1993).
    Copyright © 1994 Leonard Maltin,

Filmography
    Actor
    1. James Dean: Race with Destiny (1997) (TV) .... George Stevens
    2. "The Marshal" - The New Marshal (1995) TV Episode .... Frank MacBride
    3. Pakten (1995) .... Ernest Bogan... aka The Sunset Boys
    4. Dead Man (1995) .... John Dickinson
    5. Backfire! (1995) .... Marshal Marc Marshall
    6. Tombstone (1993) (voice) .... Narrator
    7. Woman of Desire (1993) .... Walter J. Hill
    8. Sept péchés capitaux, Les (1992) .... God... aka The Seven Deadly Sins (Belgium: English title)
    9. Cape Fear (1991) .... Lieutenant Elgart
    10. "African Skies" (1991) TV Series .... Sam Dutton
    11. "A Family for Joe" (1990) TV Series .... Joe Whitaker (1990)
    12. Présumé dangereux (1990) .... Prof. Forrester... aka Believed Violent
    13. A Family for Joe (1990) (TV) .... Joe 'Grandpa' Whitaker-Bankston
    14. Waiting for the Wind (1990)
    15. Midnight Ride (1990) .... Dr. Hardy
    16. Jake Spanner, Private Eye (1989) (TV) .... Jake Spanner
    17. Brotherhood of the Rose (1989) (TV) .... John Eliot
    18. Eyes of War (1989) (TV) .... Narrator
    19. Scrooged (1988) .... Preston Rhinelander
    20. "War and Remembrance" (1988) (mini) TV Series .... Capt. Victor 'Pug' Henry
    21. Mr. North (1988) .... Mr. James McHenry Bosworth
    22. "Saturday Night Live" - Episode #13.4 (1987) TV Episode .... Host
    23. "The Equalizer"
    - Mission: McCall: Part 2 (1987) TV Episode .... Richard Dyson
    - Mission: McCall: Part 1 (1987) TV Episode .... Richard Dyson
    24. Thompson's Last Run (1986) (TV) .... Johnny Thompson
    25. "North and South" (1985) (mini) TV Series .... Patrick Flynn
    26. Promises to Keep (1985) (TV) .... Jack Palmer
    27. Reunion at Fairborough (1985) (TV) .... Carl Hostrup
    28. The Hearst and Davies Affair (1985) (TV) .... William Randolph Hearst
    29. Maria's Lovers (1984) .... Mr. Bibic
    30. The Ambassador (1984) .... Peter Hacker
    31. A Killer in the Family (1983) (TV) .... Gary Tison
    32. "The Winds of War" (1983) (mini) TV Series .... Victor 'Pug' Henry
    33. That Championship Season (1982) .... Coach Delaney
    34. One Shoe Makes It Murder (1982) (TV) .... Harold Shillman
    35. Nightkill (1980) .... Donner
    ... aka Night Kill (Europe: English title: video title)
    36. Agency (1980) .... Ted Quinn
    37. Steiner - Das eiserne Kreuz, 2. Teil (1979) .... Col. Rogers
    38. The Big Sleep (1978) .... Philip Marlowe
    39. Matilda (1978) .... Duke Parkhurst
    40. The Amsterdam Kill (1977) .... Quinlan
    ... aka He jing die xie (Hong Kong: Mandarin title)
    41. The Last Tycoon (1976) .... Pat Brady
    42. Midway (1976) .... Vice Adm. William F. 'Bull' Halsey Jr.... aka Battle of Midway (UK)
    43. Farewell, My Lovely (1975) .... Philip Marlowe
    44. The Yakuza (1975) .... Harry Kilmer
    45. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) .... Eddie 'Fingers' Coyle
    46. America on the Rocks (1973) (TV) .... Narrator
    47. The Wrath of God (1972) .... Father Oliver Van Horne
    48. Going Home (1971) .... Harry K. Graham
    49. Ryan's Daughter (1970) .... Charles Shaughnessy
    50. The Good Guys and the Bad Guys (1969) .... Marshal James Flagg
    51. Young Billy Young (1969) .... Deputy Ben Kane
    52. Secret Ceremony (1968) .... Albert
    53. 5 Card Stud (1968) .... The Rev. Jonathan Rudd
    54. Anzio (1968) .... Dick Ennis (war correspondent, International Press)
    55. Villa Rides (1968) .... Lee Arnold
    56. A Movable Scene (1968) (TV) .... Narrator
    57. The Way West (1967) .... Dick Summers
    58. El Dorado (1966) .... El Dorado Sheriff J.P. Harrah
    59. Mister Moses (1965) .... Joe Moses
    60. What a Way to Go! (1964) .... Rod Anderson, Jr.
    61. Man in the Middle (1964) .... Lt. Col. Barney Adams
    62. Rampage (1963) .... Harry Stanton
    63. The List of Adrian Messenger (1963) .... Cameo
    64. "The Dick Powell Show"- The Losers (1963) TV Episode .... Guest Host
    65. Two for the Seesaw (1962) .... Jerry Ryan
    66. The Longest Day (1962) .... Brig. Gen. Norman Cota
    67. Cape Fear (1962) .... Max Cady
    68. The Last Time I Saw Archie (1961) .... Archie Hall
    69. The Grass Is Greener (1960) .... Charles Delacro
    70. The Sundowners (1960) .... Paddy Carmody
    71. A Terrible Beauty (1960) .... Dermot O'Neill
    72. Home from the Hill (1960) .... Capt. Wade Hunnicutt
    73. The Wonderful Country (1959) .... Martin Brady
    74. The Angry Hills (1959) .... Mike Morrison
    75. The Hunters (1958) .... Major Cleve Saville
    76. Thunder Road (1958) .... Lucas Doolin
    77. The Enemy Below (1957) .... Capt. Murrell
    78. Fire Down Below (1957) .... Felix Bowers
    79. Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957) .... Cpl. Allison, USMC
    80. Bandido (1956) .... Wilson
    81. Foreign Intrigue (1956) .... Dave Bishop
    82. Man with the Gun (1955) .... Clint Tollinger
    83. The Night of the Hunter (1955) .... Harry Powell
    84. Not as a Stranger (1955) .... Dr. Lucas Marsh
    85. Track of the Cat (1954) .... Curt Bridges
    86. River of No Return (1954) .... Matt Calder
    87. She Couldn't Say No (1954) .... Doctor Robert Sellers
    88. Second Chance (1953) .... Russ Lambert
    89. White Witch Doctor (1953) .... Lonni Douglas
    90. Angel Face (1952) .... Frank Jessup
    91. The Lusty Men (1952) .... Jeff McCloud
    92. One Minute to Zero (1952) .... Col./Brig.Gen Steve Janowski
    93. Macao (1952) .... Nick Cochran
    94. The Racket (1951) .... Captain Thomas McQuigg
    95. His Kind of Woman (1951) .... Dan Milner
    96. My Forbidden Past (1951) .... Dr. Mark Lucas
    97. Where Danger Lives (1950) .... Dr. Jeff Cameron
    98. Holiday Affair (1949) .... Steve Mason
    99. The Big Steal (1949) .... Lt. Duke Halliday
    100. The Red Pony (1949) .... Billy Buck
    101. Blood on the Moon (1948) .... Jim Garry
    102. Rachel and the Stranger (1948) .... Jim Fairways
    103. Out of the Past (1947) .... Jeff Bailey, aka Jeff Markham
    104. Desire Me (1947) .... Paul Aubert
    105. Crossfire (1947) .... Sgt. Peter Keeley
    106. Pursued (1947) .... Jeb Rand
    107. The Locket (1946) .... Norman Clyde
    108. Undercurrent (1946) .... Michael Garroway
    109. Till the End of Time (1946) .... William Tabeshaw
    110. West of the Pecos (1945) .... Pecos Smith
    111. Story of G.I. Joe (1945) .... Lt./Capt. Bill Walker
    112. Nevada (1944) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Jim 'Nevada' Lacy
    113. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) .... Lt. Bob Gray
    114. Girl Rush (1944) .... Jimmy Smith
    115. When Strangers Marry (1944) .... Fred Graham
    116. Mr. Winkle Goes to War (1944) (uncredited) .... Corporal
    117. Johnny Doesn't Live Here Any More (1944) .... CPO Jeff Daniels
    118. Gung Ho! (1943) .... 'Pig-Iron' Matthews
    119. Riders of the Deadline (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Nick Drago
    120. Cry 'Havoc' (1943) (uncredited) .... Groaning Soldier
    121. The Dancing Masters (1943) (uncredited) .... Mickey Halligan
    122. Minesweeper (1943) .... Seaman Chuck Ryan
    123. False Colors (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Rip Austin
    124. Doughboys in Ireland (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Ernie Jones
    125. Bar 20 (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Richard Adams
    126. Corvette K-225 (1943) (uncredited) .... Shephard
    127. Beyond the Last Frontier (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Trigger Dolan
    128. Lone Star Trail (1943) .... Ben Slocum
    129. We've Never Been Licked (1943) .... Panhandle Mitchell
    130. Colt Comrades (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Dirk Mason
    131. Leather Burners (1943) (uncredited) .... Henchman Randall
    132. Follow the Band (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Tate Winters
    133. Border Patrol (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Henchman Quinn
    134. Aerial Gunner (1943) (uncredited) .... Sgt. Benson
    135. Hoppy Serves a Writ (1943) (as Bob Mitchum) .... Henchman
    136. The Human Comedy (1943) (uncredited) .... Quentin 'Horse' Gilford

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. Escarnio (2004) (thanks)
    2. Young Billy Young (1969) (singer: "Young Billy Young")
    3. The Night of the Hunter (1955) (director: children) (uncredited)
    4. River of No Return (1954) (singer: "River of No Return") (uncredited)

Producer
    1. A Terrible Beauty (1960) (producer) (uncredited)
    ... aka The Night Fighters (USA)
    2. The Wonderful Country (1959) (executive producer)
    3. Thunder Road (1958) (producer) (uncredited)

Writer
    1. Thunder Road (1958) (story)

Composer
    1. Thunder Road (1958) (song "Whippoorwill")

Himself
    1. Howard Hughes: His Women and His Movies (2000) (TV) (archive sound) .... Himself
    2. "The Century: America's Time" (1999) (mini) TV Series .... Interviewee ("Stormy Weather, 1930-1935")
    3. "Private Screenings"
    - Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell (1996) TV Episode .... Himself
    4. Wild Bill: Hollywood Maverick (1996) .... Himself
    5. 100 Years of the Hollywood Western (1994) (TV) .... Himself
    6. John Huston: The Man, the Movies, the Maverick (1989) .... Narrator/Himself
    ... aka John Huston (USA)
    7. Marilyn Monroe: Beyond the Legend (1987) .... Himself
    8. Remembering Marilyn (1987) .... Himself
    9. Hollywood The Golden Years: The RKO Story (1987) .... Himself
    10. The American Film Institute Salute to Lillian Gish (1984) (TV) .... Himself
    11. The 55th Annual Academy Awards (1983) (TV) .... Himself - Co-presenter: Best Supporting Actress
    12. The American Film Institute Salute to John Huston (1983) (TV) .... Himself
    13. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"
    ... aka The Best of Carson (USA: rerun title)
    - Episode dated 10 December 1982 (1982) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 29 October 1980 (1980) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 7 July 1972 (1972) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 16 October 1970 (1970) TV Episode .... Himself
    14. Sinatra: The First 40 Years (1980) (TV)
    15. The 39th Annual Academy Awards (1967) (TV) .... Himself - Co-Presenter: Best Costume Design
    16. "What's My Line?"
    - Episode dated 28 March 1965 (1965) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    - Episode dated 3 March 1957 (1957) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    17. "The Frank Sinatra Show"
    - Episode dated 13 January 1958 (1958) TV Episode .... Himself
    18. "Cinépanorama"
    - Episode dated 14 June 1957 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    19. "Toast of the Town"
    ... aka The Ed Sullivan Show (new title)
    - Episode #10.26 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #9.1 (1955) TV Episode .... Himself
    20. "Climax!"
    ... aka Climax Mystery Theater (USA)
    - The Louella Parsons Story (1956) TV Episode .... Himself
    21. Hollywood Goes to Bat (1950) .... Himself
    22. The Magic of Make-up (1942) .... Model

Archive Footage
    1. "Cinema mil"
    - Episode #1.11 (2005) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #1.5 (2005) TV Episode .... Himself
    2. Premio Donostia a Willem Dafoe (2005) (TV) .... Himself
    3. The Making of 'Midway' (2001) (V) .... Vice Admiral William Halsey
    4. AFI's 100 Years, 100 Thrills: America's Most Heart-Pounding Movies (2001) (TV) .... Himself
    5. Chop Suey (2001) .... Himself
    6. Pulp Cinema (2001) (V) .... Himself
    7. Grass (1999) .... Himself
    8. The 70th Annual Academy Awards (1998) (TV) .... Himself (Memorial Tribute)
    9. Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's (1997) (uncredited) .... Himself
    10. Classe américaine, La (1993) .... Yves
    11. Dynamite Chicken (1972) .... Himself
    12. "Toast of the Town"
    - Episode #16.38 (1963) TV Episode .... actor - scene from 'Night of the Hunter'
    - Episode #10.40 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #10.5 (1956) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #8.15 (1954) TV Episode .... Himself

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Robert Mitchum only made 2 films with Duke,

El Dorado (1966) .... El Dorado Sheriff J.P. Harrah
    The Longest Day (1962) .... Brig. Gen. Norman Cota (not in the same scenes)

Originally, Duke and Batjac, signed Mitch to be the leading man in Blood Alley ,
    but drinking and falling out with William Wellman, meant he stormed off the set,
    leaving Duke to play the lead!

AISSA WAYNE in her book JOHN WAYNE- My Father

Says that Pilar was so annoyed with Mitchum, for falling out with Wellman!!
    Because of this, it meant Duke was to be away, filming, again, when she didn't expect him to be!

When later, the Mitchums, were house guests, she was less than friendly.
    Duke was wary of his new wifes toughness,

"It was one of the reasons, my father adored her"

In El Dorado Robert Mitchum revealed in an interview that when Howard Hawks asked him to be in the film, Mitchum asked what was the story of the film. Hawks reportedly replied that the story didn't matter because the film had some "great characters".

* Robert Mitchum's character was wounded and needed to use a crutch, but Mitchum would switch which arm he used with the crutch through out shooting. The continuity was so poor that Wayne (who actually worked continuity in silents while a star college football player, a method used by Hollywood fans to slip players some spending money) had his character mention it in one of the last scenes. The director enjoyed it so much he left it in the movie.

* The bartender that Robert Mitchum's character shoots in the saloon is played by his brother, actor/writer John Mitchum.
    supplied by IMDb,

Duke and Mitch, were well matched, since each man
    projected a powerful image..

Howard Hawks said of the casting of Mitch,

If you get somebody, who's not pretty strong,...he blows them right off the screen.
    He doesn't do it purposely; that's just what happens

However as with Kirk Douglas before, a satisfactory balance was struck.

I have two acting styles: with and without a horse.

Here's a link to a previoius thread

Robert Mitchum

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Here's a little more about Robert Mitchum. For real fans, that last link is a trivia quiz - good luck!

http://www.westworld.com/~mmw/rm/rm.html (a lot of clicks of the mouse to go through this tribute site, but some great old photos and interesting quotes; start by clicking on the red ? on the first page)
    http://www.reelclassics.com/Actors/Mitchum/mitchum.htm
    http://www.meredy.com/mitchumtriv.htm (Trivia Quiz)

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I enjoy this Mrs. C. You and Keith make this a fun place to learn.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I found this on YouTube. Mitch speaks out on the Vietnam war. It appears he was in agreement with Duke politically.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Now that video sound's just like me when I talk about the war in the middle east!!!!!!!!!! Go Mitch Go!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Robert Mitchum was another who was a household name. I liked him as far back as I can remember and I think that my first exposure to him was either in: The Longest Day or The Enemy Below. I like much of his later works the most. Works such as: "Brotherhood of the Rose, The Winds of War and War and Remembrance." I thought that BotR, was the most brilliently made film I have ever seen. One wonder why this is not yet available on DvD?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Cole, have you seen him in: "Brotherhood of the Rose?" if not, I think that this is his best stuff ever. It's not out on DvD, but thankfully, I still have it on tape.

• Hi Cole, Mike,

Mike, thanks for the link to it.

Cole, it's title definately is: Brotherhood of the Rose. It also starred Peter Strauss as one of Mitchums Sons, and the female star is one that is well-known and if I recall, I think her name is Connie Selleca - who is an Israeli Mossad Agent. If you ever get the chance to see it, this is some VERY good entertainment.

• I enjoyed Bob Mitchum in the movie Ryans Daughter, I believe after a days shoot on location in Ireland he spent the evenings getting the cast to smoke cannabis!

He seemed to work well with Duke

• WoW! I just purchased Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, and Wendell Corey. This movie was released in 1949. If you like Mitchum then you'll like this movie. It is really a good movie.

The plot of the movie:
    Just before Christmas, department store clerk Steve Mason (Mitchum) meets big spending customer Connie Ennis (Leigh), really a commercial spy. He unmasks her but lets her go, which gets him fired. They end up on a date, which doesn't sit well with Connie's steady suitor, Carl Davis (Corey), but delights her son Timmy (Grodon Gebert), who doesn't want Carl for a step-dad. Standard (if sweet) romantic complications follow.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote