Richard Boone

There are 63 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 100,149 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• MV5BNjE4Njk2MzMzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODEwMTM2._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpgRICHARD BOONE

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of birth
    18 June 1917
    Los Angeles, California, USA

Date of death
    10 January 1981
    St. Augustine, Florida, USA. (throat cancer)

Birth name
    Richard Allen Boone

Height
    6' 2" (1.88 m)

Spouse
    Claire McAloon (1951 - ?) 1 child
    Mimi Kelly (1949 - 1950) (divorced)
    Jane Hopper (1937 - 1940) (divorced)

Trivia
    Uncle of Randy Boone

According to an article on TV westerns in Time Magazine (March 30, 1959), Boone stood 6' 2" tall, weighed 200 lbs, and had chest- waist-hips measurements of 44-34-38

Cousin of Pat Boone, Nick Todd.

On a December 14, 1957, episode of "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957), Boone found himself stripped to the waist by Apaches and bound spreadagle-style between four stakes driven into the ground. So vivid was this scene that leading men in other TV westerns soon found themselves in similar circumstances, most notably Robert Horton in "Wagon Train" (1957) Ralph Taeger in "Hondo" (1967) and Peter Brown and William Smith in "Laredo" (1965).

He directed the final scenes of The Night of the Following Day (1968) at the insistence of star Marlon Brando, as Brando could no longer tolerate what he considered the incompetence of director Hubert Cornfield. The film is generally considered the nadir of Brando's career, though it didn't hurt Boone, who was cast as the heavy.

According to Joseph McBride's "Searching for John John" (St. Martin's Press, 2001 - ISBN 0312242328), Ford was urged to cast Richard Boone and Anthony Quinn as the Little Wolf and Dull Knife characters in "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964) as both had native American blood. Ricardo Montabaln and Gilbert Roland, who were of Mexican heritage, were cast instead.

According to Joseph McBride's "Searching for John John" (St. Martin's Press, 2001 - ISBN 0312242328), director John Ford was urged to cast Boone and Anthony Quinn as the Little Wolf and Dull Knife characters in Cheyenne Autumn (1964), as both had Native American blood. Ricardo Montalban and Gilbert Roland, who were of Mexican descent, were cast instead.

Mini Biography
    Richard Boone was a college student, boxer, painter and oil-field laborer before ending up in the U.S. Navy during World War II. After the war he used the G.I. Bill to study acting with the Actor's Studio in New York. Serious and methodical, Boone debuted on Broadway in the play "Medea". Other plays followed, as did occasional TV work. In 1950 20th Century-Fox signed him to a contract and he made his screen debut in _Halls of Montezuma (1951)_ , playing a Marine officer. Tall and craggy, Boone was continually cast in a number of war and western movies. He also tackled roles such as Pontius Pilate in The Robe (1953) and a police detective in Vicki (1953). In 1954 he was cast as Dr. Konrad Styner in the pioneering medical series "Medic" (1954), which was a critical but not a ratings success. This role lasted for two years, but in the meantime, he continued to appear in westerns and war movies.

In 1957 he played Dr. Wright, who treats Elizabeth for her memory lapses, in Lizzie (1957). It was also in that year that Boone was cast in what is his best-known role, the cultured gunfighter Paladin in the highly regarded western series "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957). Although a gun for hire, Paladin was usually a moral one, did the job and lived at the Hotel Carlton in San Francisco. Immensely popular, the show made Boone a star. The series lasted six years, and in addition to starring in it, Boone also directed some episodes. He still kept busy on the big screen during the series' run, appearing as Sam Houston in the John Wayne epic The Alamo (1960), and as a weary cavalry captain fighting Indians in A Thunder of Drums (1961). After "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957) ended in 1963, Boone hosted a dramatic anthology series, "The Richard Boone Show" (1963), but it was not successful.

Boone moved to Hawaii for the next seven years. During this time he made a few Westerns, including the muscular Rio Conchos (1964), but he was largely absent from the screen. In the 1970s he moved to Florida, and resumed his film and TV career with a vengeance. In 1972 he again appeared on television in the Jack Webb-produced series "Hec Ramsey" (1972) (years before he had played a police captain in Webb's first "Dragnet" film, Dragnet (1954)). Hec was a tough, grizzled old frontier sheriff at the turn of the 20th century who had to put up with a bright, eager young deputy who was schooled in the the most "modern" crimefighting techniques, which Hec had a hard time adapting to. The series lasted for two years. Boone continued working until the end of the decade but died from throat cancer in 1981.
    IMDb mini-biography by Tony Fontana

Filmography
    Actor
    1. The Bushido Blade (1981) .... Commodore Matthew Perry
    ... aka The Bloody Bushido Blade
    2. Winter Kills (1979) .... Keifitz
    3. The Big Sleep (1978) .... Lash Canino
    4. The Hobbit (1977) (TV) (voice) .... Smaug
    5. The Last Dinosaur (1977) .... Masten Thrust
    ... aka Kyokutei tankensen Pora-Bora (Japan)
    6. The Shootist (1976) .... Mike Sweeney
    7. Diamante Lobo (1976) .... The Sheriff
    ... aka A Bullet from God
    ... aka God's Gun
    ... aka Pistola di Dio (Italy: alternative title)
    8. Against a Crooked Sky (1975) .... Russian
    9. The Great Niagara (1974) (TV) .... Aaron Grant
    10. Goodnight, My Love (1972) (TV) .... Francis Hogan
    11. "Hec Ramsey" (1972) TV Series .... Hec Ramsey, Deputy Sheriff
    12. Hec Ramsey (1972) (TV) .... Hec Ramsey
    ... aka The Century Turns
    13. Deadly Harvest (1972) (TV) .... Anton Solca
    14. In Broad Daylight (1971) (TV) .... Tony Chappel
    15. Big Jake (1971) .... John Fain (gang leader)
    16. Madron (1970) .... Madron
    ... aka His Name Was Madron (UK)
    17. The Kremlin Letter (1970) .... Ward, Charles' uncle/Sturdivant
    18. The Arrangement (1969) .... Sam
    19. The Night of the Following Day (1968) .... Leer
    20. Kona Coast (1968) .... Capt. Sam Moran
    21. "Cimarron Strip"
    - The Roarer (1967) TV Episode .... Sergeant Bill Disher
    22. Hombre (1967) .... Cicero Grimes
    23. The War Lord (1965) .... Bors
    24. Rio Conchos (1964) .... Maj. James 'Jim' Lassiter
    25. "The Dick Powell Show"
    ... aka The Dick Powell Theatre (new title)
    - Squadron (1962) TV Episode .... Colonel Klauber
    26. A Thunder of Drums (1961) .... Capt. Stephen Maddocks
    27. The Alamo (1960) .... Gen. Sam Houston
    28. Ocean's Eleven (1960) (uncredited) .... Voice of minister
    29. "The United States Steel Hour"
    ... aka The U.S. Steel Hour (USA: alternative title)
    - The Charlie and the Kid (1960) TV Episode
    - Little Tin God (1959) TV Episode .... Stan Koski
    30. "Playhouse 90"
    - Tomorrow (1960) TV Episode .... Jackson Fentry
    - The Tunnel (1959) TV Episode .... Colonel Pleasants
    - The Last Clear Chance (1958) TV Episode .... Host
    31. I Bury the Living (1958) .... Robert Kraft
    32. "Climax!"
    ... aka Climax Mystery Theater (USA)
    - To Walk the Night (1957) TV Episode .... Detective Ed Brooks
    - And Don't Ever Come Back (1957) TV Episode .... Jarech
    - The Shadow of Evil (1956) TV Episode .... David Neff
    - Bailout at 43,000 Feet (1955) TV Episode .... Colonel Hughes
    33. "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957) TV Series .... Paladin
    34. The Garment Jungle (1957) .... Artie Ravidge
    35. Lizzie (1957) .... Dr. Neal Wright
    36. The Tall T (1957) .... Frank Usher
    37. "Studio One"
    ... aka Studio One Summer Theatre (summer title)
    ... aka Studio One in Hollywood (new title)
    ... aka Summer Theatre (summer title)
    ... aka Westinghouse Studio One
    ... aka Westinghouse Summer Theatre (summer title)
    - Dead of Noon (1957) TV Episode .... John Wesley Hardin
    38. Away All Boats (1956) .... Lt. Fraser
    39. "Lux Video Theatre"
    ... aka Summer Video Theatre (USA: summer title)
    - A House of His Own (1956) TV Episode
    - The Hunted (1955) TV Episode
    40. Star in the Dust (1956) .... Sam Hall
    ... aka Law Man (USA)
    41. "Frontier"
    - The Salt War (1956) TV Episode .... Everett Brayer
    42. Battle Stations (1956) .... The Captain
    43. "Matinee Theatre"
    - Wuthering Heights (1955) TV Episode .... Heathcliff
    44. The Big Knife (1955) (voice) (uncredited) .... Narrator
    45. Robbers' Roost (1955) .... Hank Hayes
    46. Man Without a Star (1955) .... Steve Miles
    47. "General Electric Theater"
    ... aka G.E. Theatre (USA)
    - Love Is Eternal (1955) TV Episode .... Abraham Lincoln
    48. Ten Wanted Men (1955) .... Wick Campbell
    49. "Medic" (1954) TV Series .... Dr. Konrad Styner (1954-1956)
    50. Dragnet (1954) .... Capt .James Hamilton
    ... aka The Original Dragnet (USA: reissue title)
    51. The Raid (1954) .... Capt. Lionel Foster
    52. The Siege at Red River (1954) .... Brett Manning
    ... aka Gatling Gun (USA)
    53. Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (1953) .... Thomas Rhys
    54. City of Bad Men (1953) .... John Ringo
    55. The Robe (1953) .... Pontius Pilate
    56. Vicki (1953) .... Lt. Ed Cornell
    57. Man on a Tightrope (1953) .... Krofta
    58. Pony Soldier (1952) (uncredited)
    ... aka MacDonald of the Canadian Mounties (UK)
    59. Way of a Gaucho (1952) .... Salinas
    60. Kangaroo (1952) .... John W. Gamble
    ... aka The Australian Story (USA: subtitle)
    61. Return of the Texan (1952) .... Rod
    62. Red Skies of Montana (1952) .... Richard 'Dick' Dryer
    ... aka Smoke Jumpers
    63. The Desert Fox: The Story of Rommel (1951) .... Capt. Hermann Aldinger
    ... aka Rommel, Desert Fox (UK)
    ... aka The Desert Fox (USA: short title)
    64. Call Me Mister (1951) .... Mess Sergeant
    65. Halls of Montezuma (1950) .... Lt. Col. Gilfillan
    66. "Actor's Studio"
    ... aka The Play's the Thing (USA: last season title)
    - The Midway (1949) TV Episode
    - You're Breaking My Heart (1949) TV Episode
    67. "The Front Page" (1949) TV Series

Director
    1. "The Richard Boone Show"
    - Vote NO on 11! (1963) TV Episode
    2. "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957) TV Series

Producer
    1. Kona Coast (1968) (producer)

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. "Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957) TV Series (song: "ballad of paladin")

Himself
    1. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"
    ... aka The Best of Carson (USA: rerun title)
    - Episode dated 13 March 1973 (1973) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 24 October 1972 (1972) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 21 December 1970 (1970) TV Episode .... Himself
    2. "The Richard Boone Show" (1963) TV Series .... Himself/Various Characters (1963-1964)
    3. "What's My Line?"
    - Episode dated 18 August 1963 (1963) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    - Episode dated 14 April 1963 (1963) TV Episode .... Guest Panelist
    - Episode dated 13 March 1960 (1960) TV Episode .... Guest Panelist
    - Episode dated 5 April 1959 (1959) TV Episode .... Guest Panelist
    - Episode dated 22 February 1959 (1959) TV Episode .... Guest Panelist
    (1 more)
    4. "Password"
    ... aka Password All-Stars (USA: new title)
    - Jane Wyatt vs. Richard Boone (1963) TV Episode .... Panelist
    5. "Toast of the Town"
    ... aka The Ed Sullivan Show (new title)
    - Episode #15.11 (1961) TV Episode .... Actor
    - Episode #12.28 (1959) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #12.21 (1959) TV Episode .... Abraham Lincoln
    - Episode #12.2 (1958) TV Episode .... Himself

Archive Footage
    1. Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That (2005) (TV) (archive footage: The Tall T [1957]) .... Frank Usher
    2. John Wayne's 'The Alamo' (2001) (V) .... Sam Houston
    Not the Richard Boone you're looking for?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I liked Richard Boone, as he was a boyhood hero as Paladin , in that great TV series,
    Have Gun Will Travel

,220px-JohnWayneRichardBooneKBF1971.jpg

He made 3 great films with Duke,

The Shootist (1976) .... Mike Sweeney
    Big Jake (1971) .... John Fain (gang leader)
    The Alamo (1960) .... Gen. Sam Houston

Duke wrote his agent, regarding The Alamo

We are working like hell....but the cast is wonderful....
    Boone did a wonderful job as Houston......

In fact the shooting schedule, of Have Gun Will Travel.,
    was adjusted, in order for him to participate in The Alamo ,
    although he was only in the film for less than 20 minutes!
    Duke gave Richard, the leather coat he wore as a gift.

In Big Jake of course, he uttered that imortal line, we often quote,
    on this board,

Now you understand.Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault,
    nobody's fault.It don't matter.I'm gonna blow your head off.

Clearly, compiling these biogs, uncovers all sorts of facts and trivia,
    that I am sure many of us, didn't know!!
    Did you know he was the cousin of Pat Boone, the singer??
    Well, well, fancy that!!

Richard Boone is featured in these two other threads

Classic TV Westerns- Have Gun - Will Travel (1957-1963)
    Classic TV Westerns- Hec Ramsey (1972-1974)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Keith,

The character of Paladin was a favorite of mine as well! I don't think I ever thought about all those TV shows being shown overseas, but obviously they were. Were they shown at the same time as in the US, or was there a later release? How about other countries? What other shows from here did you folks get to watch/do you get to watch?

Are our shows currently available there as well? I guess satellite TV has probably influenced that.

Anyway, back on topic . . . as I was saying, I enjoyed Richard Boone in Have Gun, Will Travel. I see that for the diehard fan, the series can be obtained at Deep Discount DVD (three seasons are available).

Chester :newyear:

• My first (and only for years) exposures to Richard Boone were in: Big Jake, The Alamo and The Last Dinosaur. I never saw him in anything else until much later and when Cable TV finally came to Kingsville. I have seen only a few "Have Gun, Will Travel" episodes and liked em all.

Thank you all for this stuff on such a great actor.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Apart from being married three times with at least one child. Doing well for a gay man!!

Anyway to save you the bother of buying Maureen's book.

Here is the story. Ford asked Maureen to bring him sketches of her costumes for movie. to his office When she walked in she found Ford and mystery man. Ford had his arms round him and kissed him in front of her at which point she dropped everything and ran out
    freaked out.

Her exact description is :-

Ford was with one of the most famous leading men in the picture business

cant really imagine that description being labelled to Richard Boone

Later the actor involved approached her and said "Why didnt you tell me Ford was a homosexual.

Considering no other evidence has really come to light about Ford's sexuality its sounds more like Ford was playing a mind game or twisted joke on her that she hasnt really
    got the point yet or decided to get her own revenge by printing her encounter 50 years ago.

The fact that she has never stated the actor's name in any interview sounds like she isnt really sure whether it was true or a wind up and wants to avoid any legal complications

Mike

• Well, DP has covered the bases on John Ford, but as to Richard Boone;

Maureen says that Richard Boone and Peter Lawford were busted in a gay bar in Australia while they were on location making the film Kangaroo (1952).

Quite honestly, I became much less enamored with O'Hara after reading her book. There were some nice recollections and stories about Duke, but, by and large it was nothing more than a scandal rag.

Ironically, she did a lot of complaining about people spreading false and unsubstantiated rumors about her, but when the shoe was on the other foot, she had no problem doing it to others. In fact, I think Duke was just about the only person in the whole book she had nothing but good things to say about.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Mike,

I always thought she meant Tyrone Power or Cary Grant were with Ford. I can't imagine it being Marlon Brando, who wouldn't have had time for the right-wing old Ford.

It's true taht Richard Boone was married three times and had a child, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't gay. There was an actor called Ross Alexander who was married three times, but committed suicide due to his homosexuality seventy years ago. Also, many gay men like Raymond Burr fathered children.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care whether an actor was gay or not, I just found it hard to believe that craggy-faced, 6'2", tough guy Richard Boone was.

• I think a lot of Hollywood past & present fall into the Errol Flynn category in that they would copulate with anything and any particular orientation doesnt come into it. More a case of too much power and money with very little morals.

I think the actor may be Tyrone Power as she was preparing for The Long Gray Line at that time.

Mike

• I have ALWAYS felt the story about Maureen seeing Ford kissing an actor was a setup on Ford's part. Remember the deal at the end of The Quiet Man when Ford had her go to Wayne and whisper that "naughty something" in his ear that caused that great reaction we saw from him. Ford loved her in a special way, and she loved him too, but he also loved "messing" with folks, and she was a good target!

• BTW - I don't buy Richard Boone being gay for one second. I love the reruns of HGWT on TWC. I can't wait my to get the DVD's. Several of the episodes I've seen were directed by Andrew McLaglen, who directed McLintock and Chisum, was the son of Victor, who was in the so-called cavalry trilogy with JW, and won the Oscar for The Informer. Harry Carey Jr. was in several episodes, playing good guy in one (with Charles Bronson), and a heavy in another! I saw one today with Bob Steele in it. He appeared in a few episodes. Pernell Roberts was in one too! Grant Withers was in one with June Lockhart, and Dyan Cannon was in several as Paladin's "love interest!" You could always tell when Andy directed, as they had a better look and feel to them. He also directed (I think he said this in the commentary section of the Rio Grande DVD) more episodes of Gunsmoke than anyone else, BUT I could be wrong.

• He also directed (I think he said this in the commentary section of the Rio Grande DVD) more episodes of Gunsmoke than anyone else, BUT I could be wrong.

Here is our dedicated thread on

Gunsmoke

as far as we are aware, Boone didn't direct any of the series!

These being the top directors

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England