There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 40,020 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I think THAT was more a Ken Curtis thing than a JW thing, to be honest. As I said on the other thread, JW was fiercely loyal to John Ford (Curtis' father-in-law for many years), and even though KC appeared in The Alamo without JF's involvement, nearly ALL his time with JW on film was a direct result (it seemed, at least) of his connection to JF.

He was talented and worthy, to be sure, but it's an interesting situation, and given his negative remarks about JW's directing after Duke's death, it begs the question about KC feeling a bit "left out" after he and Barbara divorced in '64.

Also, that was the year Cheyene Autumn came out, which was Ford's last real film...interesting.

• I honestly don't know if they were close or not. I don't necessarily find his comments on Duke's direction as sign he didn't like Duke. He just offered his opinion, and it was taken during the context of an interview. I would like to see the entire interview to see the type questions that led up to it.

• I understand, and I can see that, but it seemed his comments were overly harsh, and the only negative comments about JW there were (from close cast members), if memory serves.

My point was only that Curtis never made a movie w/JW unless it was directed by JF, with the lone exception of "The Alamo" I've always found that kind of odd, as KC was a fine performer...

• Well, even on The Alamo, Ford was deeply involved-tho uncredited. He was at a number of casting sessions, plus he was on set with Duke almost thru the entire shoot (many photos exist attesting to that).

Luckily for Curtis he was heavily involved in TV guesting and such, then having his regular Gunsmoke role (I think in '64).

• Chester thanks for the You Tube clip of Ken Curtis. The man had talent to portray a character such as Festus. He is the main reason I watch the Gunsmoke reruns. James Arness, Milburn Stone, and Amanda Blake are very good but when Ken is in a scene he steals the show. I love to see when "Festus" and "Doc" interact with each other.

• I know this is really old, but the Dorsey band were favorites of my parents. They were at the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech Dances...also, I believe Clemson when my parents were in college and then after. Dad was at Clemson and helped develop the jitterbug...he could triple time or even slow it down to quarter time! Mom said Dorsey used to get drunk, and Frank who was just barely twenty, I think, took over the orchestra for the rest of the night. They continued to go to any Dorsey dance that was close. Mom always said she seemed to remember "Festus" from somewhere else..........now I know where. Wish she were still alive. Well, I told her about it anyway, last night!~

I always did like Ken Curtis and enjoy trying to pick him out in some of his earlier movies when played. I had thought that he was the replacement for Frank Sinatra, and had an orchestra. I don't remember when or where that was but I remember hearing soemthing like that in a Documentary I saw about a year or two ago. I THINK the name of that Doc was: "When Cowboys Were King" or I heard about him in something else? I remember the last thing I saw him in before he passed away was an episode of: "In the Heat of the Night." In that episode, you could tell he was very ill. Anyway, when TCM showed the uncut version of The Alamo, it was nice to hear Ken sing to "his" daughter on her birthday.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: Forgot ().

• OK, my first attempt at this. Try to learn a new JWMB thing every day. I LOVE these. Hope yall do. I tried to search to see if anyone had posted them. Hope I didn't blow my first try, LOL. Make sure you listen all the way through....if it works! KP KEITH Thanks Mrs. C.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia] Forgot to preview first, sorry. Well, there is a white block there, but no U TUBE. Anybody out there with help? You can PM me or call me at 336 2444342...I have unlimited LD and will call right back. Thanks, DARN, KP KEITH

Edited 2 times, last by Hawkswill: Goof ().

• Try again.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Ken Curtis sings "Tumbling Tumbleweeds"
    Live From Germany 1986

He was 70 years old...hard to believe. Gives me chill bumps every time!

Edited 3 times, last by chester7777: Removed phone number for privacy reasons ().

• OK, my first attempt at this. Try to learn a new JWMB thing every day. I LOVE these. Hope yall do. I tried to search to see if anyone had posted them. Hope I didn't blow my first try, LOL. Make sure you listen all the way through....if it works! KP KEITH Thanks Mrs. C.
    Forgot to preview first, sorry. Well, there is a white block there, but no U TUBE. Anybody out there with help? You can PM me or call me at 336 2444342...I have unlimited LD and will call right back. Thanks, DARN, KP KEITH

All done for you, my new found friend!

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Well, Keith, don't you have enough to do without having to fix all the inept attempts of a NEWBIE! I WILL have to say that I love you for it. And, for saying this for the world to see, " All done for you, my new found friend!"......I am just totally floored....I should say unbelievably amazed! And, since I am now alone...my parents have died and have my animals to talk to.....oh, they talk back, LOL, it made me cry.......a happy cry...those are good. I have another I want to post. Now, I need to know how? What did I do wrong.....I followed Sue's instructions.

Had yall seen that before? I did a search and didn't find it in your files. Don't want to send something everyone has seen before. I think Folks would love the other one I want to send also.

OK, Out to work with my horse, Carat.........once I feed him his hay, think I will go out around TenPM with my headlamp, do his tricks and ride him for an hour or so. Like I said, I don't sleep much.

Thanks again. Yore a nice feller, Keither HAH, Kp KEITH

Edited once, last by chester7777 ().

• Well, let's see if I learned how. Sue just fixed this one on the Video Forum. I am going to try to put it here. I think Ken had a couple of fire waters. And boy, is this other fellah good. KPKEITH Well, so far so good.
    [extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

• Well, let's see if I learned how. Sue just fixed this one on the Video Forum. I am going to try to put it here. I think Ken had a couple of fire waters. And boy, is this other fellah good. KPKEITH Well, so far so good.

Well Keith, now I am impressed, wow you did it.
    Thanks for the posts, and Ken is a lovely singer.
    Not forgetting his wonderful time
    with the Sons of the Pioneers (1949-1953)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• LOL, thanks Keith. Seems as if when I did things as stated, the YOUTUBE symbols wouldn't go to the correct places. So, now, I just post and move them to where they should be. Thanks again for your wonderful help, my friend.
    Colorado Bob wrote me about helping with White O Morn. I was having trouble getting to him for some reason. Anyway, I will write him today and tell him my ideas for increasing our fan and member base.

Ride hard, but don't put him up wet, KPKEITH

Yep, I have some of those..Sons...to put up also.

• I have just finished reading "Dobe" Carey's book, In the Company of Heroes and in it he states that he and Ken Curtis were very good friends. He doesn't mention whether Duke and Kenny were good friends. If you have the chance read this book. Very fast reading and very informative.

• I have just finished reading "Dobe" Carey's book, In the Company of Heroes and in it he states that he and Ken Curtis were very good friends. He doesn't mention whether Duke and Kenny were good friends. If you have the chance read this book. Very fast reading and very informative.

It is a great book, I am one of the lucky ones to
    have a personally signed copy.
    As far as Ken and Duke were concerned, take a look at this earlier discussion
    Did Duke And Ken Curtis Become Alienated?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England