How Did You Become A John Wayne Fan?

There are 226 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 214,590 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• How did I become a John Wayne fan? My dad was a fan as I was growing up in the 60's and 70's so I guess it came naturally. I started collecting films on VHS in my early teens and saved and bought my first book "The Films of John Wayne" probably in 1979 since that is the printing date in the book. The poor book is all marked up by me marking the movies I had seen on TV, those that I had bought and those that were not included in the book. It is now worn and tattered and I'm still trying to find the remaining films to complete my school kid obsession, which is how I stumbled upon JWMB. I now have an excel spreadsheet and retired the book to light duty. I guess it still makes me feel like a kid sometimes. If the gifts that the family give you on birthdays and Christmas are any indicator that your a John Wayne fan then yes I am. I strayed for a while as life was busy and I had watched all there was to watch many times. Now that I am retired I'm finding my way back and enjoying them all over again and finding the new movies that are now available and other new young Duke discoveries on new found films. So much has changed in this new digital age.

• At first when I was 14 I thought Wayne's films were a bit silly. I preferred historical epics with Charlton Heston.

However when I saw "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" before going to a party one Saturday I realised Wayne was a good actor.

• Official Post

My Dad took me to see True Grit and I was hooked. When TV started running westerns, we always made a point of watching them together

Same with me. My dad introduced me to westerns JW westerns to be exact. ;)

• That's why Dad's are so special. Mine taught me cooking and cleaning wasn't just for women as well as a good cowboy or war flick every week plus Gunsmoke and Wagon Train through the week rounded out my domestic education! Oh and Bugs Bunny Saturday mornings.

LOL

• Many of the old stars died from smoking, including John Wayne.

No question...I'm not discounting the known dangers of smoking but smoking was very common and in movies that are about a historical event...depicting smoking is historically accurate.

By putting such disclaimers alongside warnings of violence and sexual content it seems to add into the wussification of the culture.

"It was me...I shot Liberty Valance."