Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,279,375 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched "Head" by the Monkees last night. It's an acquired taste for sure. 60's expression to the hilt but essentially a fascinating movie about the deconstruction of the Monkees. Does not have the normal flow of a traditional story but the underlying theme is present throughout. Love this band.

• Captain Fantastic

Didn't know anything about this film except Viggo Mortensen got an Oscar nomination for it. I liked it a lot. Don't know why it's called Captain Fantastic though.

• Purchased the digital download of Kong: Skull Island last night. All I can say is Wow! It was an excellent film made by people who clearly love the lore of Kong in film. Tons of homages to the '76 , '33, and the Japanese Kong Vs Godzilla. The effects were mind blowing. Great movie.

Well, get ready, because they have a new King Kong vs Godzilla movie coming. Also a new Godzilla movie where he will take on Ghiddra, Rodan, and another Japanese classic monster whose name escapes me.

• Loving

Really good film that my current favorite actor, Joel Edgerton, should have gotten an AA nom for.

The Square

A good Australian movie written by and staring Joel Edgerton, directed by his brother Nash.

Edited once, last by may2 ().

• A film I ABSOLUTELY recommend everyone watch is " The Founder" with Michael Keaton. It's the story of Ray Kroc and the expansion of McDonalds. Absolutely fascinating. I was riveted from start to finish. Tons of revelations in this that I never knew about. For those who have Netflix, it's on there right now. Or you can pick it up at your local rental outlet.

• "The Dark Tower"
    -Idris Elba

Plot: IMDB
    Roland Deschain (Idris Elba), the last Gunslinger, is locked in an eternal battle with Walter O'Dim (Matthew McConaughey), also known as the Man in Black. The Gunslinger must prevent the Man in Black from toppling the Dark Tower, the key that holds the universe together. With the fate of worlds at stake, two men collide in the ultimate battle between good and evil.

Phantom's Review:
    If your a Stephen King fan, a "Purist" of his work, then I highly recommend that you skip this film, save yourself the headache. If you have never read the books or your the type of fan who just accepts the fact that Hollywood will rarely ever do King right, then maybe you'll get some enjoyment out of this short (95 minutes) , somewhat standard Hollywood film. For me, the film was a disappointment. I enjoyed 'The Dark Tower' novels and was looking forward to seeing them on the big screen, but this is definitely not was I was hoping for. The filmmakers took bits and pieces from a massive 8 volume series, threw most of the books away and put together this hodge podge sci-fi western. Idris Elba does his best as 'Roland, The Last Gunslinger' but he doesn't have a whole lot to work with. Mathew McConaughey fares slightly better as the villain 'Walter, The Man In Black' , but again there is just not a whole lot to work from. Overall, a huge disappointment.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town