The Rare Breed (1966)

There are 46 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 54,631 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE RARE BREED

DIRECTED BY ANDREW McLAGLEN
    PRODUCED BY WILLIAM ALLAND
    MUSIC BY JOHN WILLIAMS
    UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    When her husband dies en route to America, Martha Price
    and her daughter Hilary are left to carry out his dream:
    the introduction of Hereford cattle into the American West.
    They enlist Sam "Bulldog" Burnett in their efforts to transport their lone bull,
    a Hereford named Vindicator, to a breeder in Texas,
    but the trail is fraught with danger and even Burnett doubts
    the survival potential of this "rare breed" of cattle.
    Written by Greg Helton

Full Cast
    James Stewart .... Sam Burnett
    Maureen O'Hara .... Martha Evans
    Brian Keith .... Alexander Bowen
    Juliet Mills .... Hilary Price
    Don Galloway .... Jamie Bowen
    David Brian .... Charles Ellsworth
    Jack Elam .... Deke Simons
    Ben Johnson .... Jeff Harter
    Harry Carey Jr. .... Ed Mabry
    Perry Lopez .... Juan
    Larry Domasin .... Alberto
    Silvia Marino .... Conchita
    Alan Caillou .... John Taylor
    Gregg Palmer .... Rodenbush
    Barbara Werle .... Gert
    Joe Ferrante .... Esteban
    James O'Hara .... Sagamon (as Jim O'Hara)
    R.L. Armstrong .... Barker (uncredited)
    Larry J. Blake .... Auctioneer (uncredited)
    Bob Gravage .... Cattle buyer (uncredited)
    Charles Lampkin .... Porter (uncredited)
    Ted Mapes .... Liveryman (uncredited)
    James Nusser .... Bum at Dodge train depot (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Ric Hardman

Cinematography
    William H. Clothier

Goof
    Continuity: In the final fight scene between Jimmy Stewart and Brian Keith, there is a close shot of the calf watching from underneath the stairs. However, when they cut to the long shot, the calf is no longer there.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Mecca, California, USA
    Mojave Desert, California, USASix Points Texas, Backlot, Universal Studios - 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Rare Breed starred James Stewart, Maureen O'Hara,
    Brian Keith, Juliet Mills and Ben Johnson
    and directed by Andrew V. McLaglen.
    Loosely based on the life of rancher William Burgess,
    the film follows Martha Price's (O'Hara)
    quest to fulfill her deceased husband's dream of introducing
    Hereford cattle to the American West.
    The film was one of the early major productions to be scored by John Williams,
    who was billed as "Johnny Williams" in the opening credits.

I have to admit, that this is not one of my favourites!!
    I realise, however many folks like it.
    It's very difficult to find fault with JS and M O'H,
    but, it doesn't change my mind.
    I thought it a pretty boring, and whimsical film,
    that one could give a miss.
    A few of Duke's 'Pals' involved in this one,
    Harry Carey Jr., Ben Johnson ,Jack Elam,
    One of Duke's favourites,
    William H. Clothier was the cinematographer

User Review
    Author: fiona davidson from Scotland

What I watched of this film I watched with dismay. I don't think Jimmy Stewart really did himself any favours and we all know he was capable of so much more, but it wasn't his part that I found so painful but Brian Keith as Bowen the supposed Scotsman. His accent was amazing but definitely not Scots, his wig and moustache (not forgetting the eyebrows) were so obviously false and as for the full highland dress - well!. I thought Bowen was a Welsh name too? The storyline about incorporating a new line of cattle was OK and so was everything else but I just felt it could all have been done so much better.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi,
    Watched this film last evening and enjoyed it. Herefords are so nice and the plot is very interesting and there is always pleasure to see familiar faces. Of course it is not a great film, but very nice.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• Perhaps not the best of films,definitely not a classic but I do find it enjoyable and watched it several times since I own the DVD.It's like Senta says "Its' always a pleasure to see familiar faces".

• I think I can understand why some people that Never Had much to do with Cattle Ranching would not think much of this Film. But to me it is almost like a History Lesson on Cattle of the Old Southwest of the U.S. in the 1800s. :rolleyes:

In the early 1800s all we had here in the Southwest was Mexican Long Horn Cattle, and later called "Texas Long Horn Cattle" and Very Little Meat for that large of Cattle! :(

After some Very Brave English Pioneers Brought the Hereford Cattle to the Young U.S.A. it started a New Cattle Industry, and made the Cattle Industry what it is Today! :D Duke Raised what are called "Horned Pure Bred Hereford Cattle," and when I had my ranch I raised what are called "Polled Hereford Cattle," that meant they were born with No Horns. :o

So thats Your History Lesson For The Day!!! :fear:

The Film is not a Great One, But with Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara it is Great Fun to Watch, and the only thing that would make it Better is if Duke had been in it also. :jump:

Also Maureen brought the Womans Touch to the Film! :wub:

HEREFORD CATTLE OF THE OLD SOUTHWEST :cowboy:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hi Bill,
    I'm really like this herefords. What interests me, that I haven't seen them here in Russia. And it is interesting that the history was exectly as it was in the movie.
    Is it different breeds with horns and without them, or the different branches of the same breed?
    Regards,
    Vera :rolleyes:

• Vera;

They are the same Breed of Hereford Cattle, and just a Genetic Mutation that they are Born Without Horns. :) Here in the Southwest we call them "Mule Herefords" as they have large ears and no Horns.

The reason that some Ranchers like the Polled Herefords is the they do not Injure each other as much as the Hereford Cattle with Horns!!! :fear2:

Bill :cowboy:

• Hey Bill,

I agree with you, I found the movie interesting in that aspect as well, and I appreciate you bringing up the history of this. I knew most of what you said, but it was good to hear about it again.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I could never dislike a movie with Ms. O'Hara in it. It had it's moments and was pleasureable enough to watch. Of course it isn't one of the greatest, but it is good enough.

• Forgettable. The Hereford bull has the best role.

Sadly, Hereford's not any more the rare breed, but Texas longhorns are. They were better adapted to their environment than the new import

I don't believe in surrenders.

• In seeing this film and I happen to own the DVD and VHS version, I find this movie disappointing. The chemistry between Stewart and O'Hara just didn't click in this movie. Maureen was weak in this and the acting or maybe the script was not good. Brian Keith made the movie work and his part was strong.

I do know that Stewart and O'Hara are good together, but it didn't work in this film. I'd have to say it was a writing.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I always like to see Jimmy Stewart in Western. Replace Stewart with John Wayne and Brian Keith with a scottish Actor (or someone who can play a Scotsman) you would have a great movie. IMO the first half of the movie is much better. Nevertheless I enjoy it everytime I watch it (and I learned something about breed). :box:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I like the film myself, mainly for Stewart, O'Hara, Ben Johnson, Harry Carey, and good old Jack Elam-great as the bad guy. I thought the action scenes were well done, and enjoy the first half much more than the 2nd. Once Keith comes into the picture (usually good, but I felt he was WAAYYYY over the top), the film bogs down. I still watch it whenever it it on tho.