Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation (1962)

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,967 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION

DIRECTED BY HENRY KOSTER
    MUSIC BY HENRY MANCINI
    TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Roger Hobbs (James Stewart) is a harried city dweller who longs
    to take his family to the seashore for a vacation.
    He and his wife Peggy (Maureen O'Hara) do get the family to the sand,
    but new problems develop there, and the vacation turns out to be a mixed blessing.
    Written by Dan Navarro

Full Cast
    James Stewart .... Roger Hobbs
    Maureen O'Hara .... Peggy Hobbs
    Fabian .... Joe
    John Saxon .... Byron
    Marie Wilson .... Mrs. Emily Turner
    Reginald Gardiner .... Reggie McHugh
    Lauri Peters .... Katey Hobbs
    Valerie Varda .... Marika
    Lili Gentle .... Janie
    John McGiver .... Mr. Martin Turner
    Natalie Trundy .... Susan
    Josh Peine .... Stan
    Minerva Urecal .... Brenda, Hobbs' Maid
    Michael Burns .... Danny Hobbs
    Richard Collier .... Mr. Kagle
    Sherry Alberoni .... Girl in Dormitory (uncredited)
    Herb Alpert .... Trumpet player in dance band at yacht club
    Reginald Beckwith .... Bit Part (uncredited)
    Harry Carter .... Dance Extra/Cab Driver (uncredited)
    Daryl Duke .... Boy (uncredited)
    True Ellison .... Girl in Dormitory (uncredited)
    Ernie Gutierrez .... Pizza Maker (uncredited)
    Tom Lowell .... Freddie (uncredited)
    Barbara Mansell .... Ellen, the Receptionist (uncredited)
    Stephen Mines .... Carl (uncredited)
    Peter Oliphant .... Peter Carver (uncredited)
    Doris Packer .... Hostess (uncredited)
    Jeffrey Sayre .... Dance Extra (uncredited)
    Michael Sean .... Phil (uncredited)
    Maida Severn .... Secretary (uncredited)
    Arthur Tovey .... Dance Extra (uncredited)
    Dennis Whitcomb .... Dick (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Edward Streeter (novel)
    Nunnally Johnson (screenplay)

Produced
    Marvin A. Gluck .... associate producer
    Jerry Wald .... executive producer (uncredited)

Original Music
    Henry Mancini (also song "Cream Puff")

Cinematography
    William C. Mellor

Trivia
    The station wagon used in the film is a 1960 Dodge Seneca.

The portrait hanging along the staircase of the beach cottage is of Captain Daniel Gregg, played by Rex Harrison, from The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

This is the first of two movies Maureen O'Hara made with Jimmy Stewart; in 1966 she also made The Rare Breed with Stewart.

Awards: 3 wins & 3 nominations

Goofs
    Continuity: When the car approaches Hobbes and Turner during their bird watching expedition, they are walking in the middle of the road, effectively blocking traffic. In the next shot, the car has room to go around them

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Mrs. Turner in locked in the bathroom, Jimmy Stewart calls her Mrs. Hobbs and she says, "Mrs. Turner" and he says, "Oh yes, Mrs. Turner."

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Laguna Beach, California, USA
    Leo Carrillo State Beach - 35000 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, California, USA
    Newport Beach, California, USA
    Stage 8, 20th Century Fox Studios - 10201 Pico Blvd., Century City, Los Angeles, California, USA (studio)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation is a comedy film
    directed by Henry Koster and starring
    James Stewart and Maureen O'Hara.
    The film is based on a novel by Edward Streeter .

An ordinary film made special by the pairing of
    Jimmy Stewart and Maureen
    A lovely film to watch, and a reminder to us all,
    of how less complicated life was, not so long ago!!

Couple of things to look out for
    Herb Alpert made a cameo, as a trumpet player at the yacht club.
    and Fabian, he of North To Alaska, takes third billing in this one.

User Review

They sure don't make 'em like this anymore.
    13 September 2005 | by phillindholm

"Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation" is one of the most enjoyable family films ever made. When it was released back in 1962, it was a big hit. But if you are a sophisticate, don't write it off just yet. The plot is simple: Harried St. Louis banker Roger Hobbs (James Stewart) is looking forward to a quiet, romantic vacation with his wife Peggy (Maureen O'Hara) who, unknown to him, has instead opted for a family reunion in a rented Northern California beach house. Not only has she included her teenage daughter Katie and younger son Danny but her married daughters and their families as well. The beach house turns out to be a monstrosity which Hobbs describes as "Dragonwyck". When their daughter Susan and her husband Stan show up with their bratty kids, things quickly get worse. The family is complete when daughter Jane and her husband Byron arrive with their infant daughter. By now, both Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs are somewhat disenchanted with this "family reunion" as Susan and her husband fight until he walks out on them, while Jane's husband takes up with the local bathing suit-clad vamp Manika. Daughter Katie meanwhile, grows more sullen by the day, sulking because of her new braces and brother Danny simply glues himself to the television set. Add an unhappy Finnish maid and you really have a recipe for disaster. But thanks to the delightful performance by Stewart, the laughs come thick and fast. His dry wit enlivens the film and almost single-handedly keeps it alive. And I mean alive because in spite of a capable cast including Fabian, John McGiver and Marie Wilson, the film belongs to Stewart. He does wonders with his hapless father role and keeps the audience in his corner every second. With the support of the eternally beautiful O'Hara (who's hardly anyones idea of a grandmother) and a memorable Henry Mancini score, "Mr. Hobbs" may depict a harrowing "vacation" but it's one the the viewer will thoroughly enjoy taking. The film has just been released on a beautiful widescreen DVD, with an original trailer and a few other extras. Bon Voyage!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• We enjoyed this movie. Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara - doesn't get much better than that (except, of course, for Duke and Maureen O'Hara :D ) . . . .

Seriously, they made a good married couple, and the movie had some good funny parts and some poignant scenes as well. That line above about reminding us about growing up in the sixties, and how simple a time it was, was right on target!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

I have see this picture two or three times and find it quite a pleasant picture, nothing controversial and easy to watch. Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara are good as are the supporting cast.

All in all a good picture.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I also enjoyed this movie with James Stewart and Maureen, its very mild with a thread bare storyline. However the morals of the story are important and there are some fine moments of poignancy as well as comedy.

I enjoyed the line in which the housekeeper told Marueen that Jimmy swore at her and she was very displeased about this. When confronted about this Jimmy denies the allegation and simply states that all he said to the housekeeper that morning was that he was going down to get some sun on the beach.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I have the DVD and watched it. It was an alright movie. Not one of my favorites, but one I'll enjoy from time to time. It was not a bad movie, but I like other O'Hara and Stewart movies more than this one. I do recommend it because it is a Stewart and O'Hara movie.

I'd give it 2 and a half stars out of 4.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• :wink_smile:

At that time, Stewart was the biggest star in the world. Maureen was therefore very happy to turn with him, even if it was not generous, because he did not share the leading role. The film was a huge success at the box office ...

Least of complicity between Maureen and James that Maureen and Duke!
    But a film enjoyable to watch ...

For the record ...

Original trailer

Small clip

Tell me if you have problems to read

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 3 times, last by Romy ().

• :wink_smile:

..................................... The pictures from the film .......................

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• Twilight Time has announced it will release Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation on Blu-ray on April 8, 2014. No artwork or other details yet. I'm sure looking forward to this one -- I love this movie! ;)