The Redhead From Wyoming (1953)

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,898 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE REDHEAD FROM WYOMING

DIRECTED BY LEE SCHOLEM
    PRODUCED BY LEONARD GOLDSTEIN
    UNIVERSAL INTERNATIONAL PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    In Wyoming Territory, a range war is brewing between entrenched cattle barons and new settlers.
    Cattle king Reece Duncan is opposed by ambitious gambler Jim Averell,
    who imports his old flame, shapely saloon queen Kate Maxwell, and sets her up as an alternative cattle buyer.
    As matters build toward violence, Kate finds she's being taken advantage of.
    But her only potential ally in staving off carnage is seemingly
    mild-mannered sheriff Stan Blaine...who distrusts her.
    Summary written by Rod Crawford

Full Cast
    Maureen O'Hara .... Kate Maxwell
    Alex Nicol .... Sheriff Stan Blaine
    William Bishop .... Jim Averell
    Robert Strauss .... 'Knuckles' Hogan
    Alexander Scourby .... Reece Duncan
    Gregg Palmer .... Hal Jessup (as Palmer Lee)
    Jack Kelly .... Sandy
    Jeanne Cooper .... Myra
    Dennis Weaver .... Matt Jessup
    Stacy Harris .... Chet Jones
    Betty Allen .... French Heels (uncredited)
    David Alpert .... Wally Beggs (uncredited)
    Joe Bailey .... Jack (uncredited)
    Joe Bassett .... Man (uncredited)
    Ray Bennett .... Wade Burrows (uncredited)
    Edmund Cobb .... Sprague (uncredited)
    Harold Goodwin .... Chet's Henchman (uncredited)
    Larry Hudson .... Man (uncredited)
    Jack Hyde .... Chuck (uncredited)
    Keith Kerrigan .... Girl in Kate's Place (uncredited)
    Philo McCullough .... Aldrich (uncredited)
    Robert Merrick .... Professor (uncredited)
    Buddy Roosevelt .... Cowboy Lifting Myra (uncredited)
    Syd Saylor .... Drunken Settler (uncredited)
    David Sharpe .... Duncan's Man guarding jailhouse (uncredited)
    George Taylor .... Doctor (uncredited)
    Claudette Thornton .... Amy (uncredited)
    Rush Williams .... Ned (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Polly James
    Herb Meadow

Original Music
    Milton Rosen (uncredited)
    Herman Stein (uncredited)

Cinematography
    Winton C. Hoch (as Winton Hoch)

Filming Location
    Agoura, California, USA

Memorable Quotes
    Reece Duncan: I'm just warning you. No animal on my property, branded or not,
    is a stray. Whatever you pick up on the open range is yours.
    Anything you take from me has lead coming after it.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Redhead from Wyoming is a 1953 American western drama film
    produced by Leonard Goldstein and directed by Lee Sholem.
    It stars Maureen O'Hara as a saloon proprietress who becomes embroiled
    in a cattle war and Alex Nicol as the sheriff who tries to prevent it.
    The supporting cast includes William Bishop
    as a politician who provokes the war and
    Alexander Scourby as a prominent cattle rancher.

A film that barely rises above ordinary.
    However Maureen acting a red haired beauty,
    more than makes up for any weaknesses.
    Duke cinematogapher Winston Hoch,
    steals the show with some brilliant filming.
    The Queen of Technicolor,
    certainly knew how be colourful!!!!

User Review

Provides little beyond some scenic effects.,
    Author: rsoonsa from Mountain Mesa, California

A voice-over opening, with Winston Hoch's outstanding camera-work of calf roping and branding on screen, is a promising beginning and describes the setting for this film in 1870s Wyoming Territory, aboil with open range cattle raising and rustling, stimulated by the Territory's Maverick Law which permitted settlers to brand calves as their own if they were not within the confines of deeded property. When the voice-over ends the scenario begins, and that is a pity as it is woeful, approaching unintentional pastiche of the genre, with a fast-moving series of scenes lacking development, motivation and narrative continuity helpful to a viewer. An obvious vehicle for the beautiful Maureen O'Hara, splendid in Technicolor with her flaming red hair and green eyes, the piece unfortunately places her acting shortcomings to the fore, although she does her own stunt work, as is her wont. Alex Nicol is miscast as a laconic sheriff and Alexander Scourby is a bit too elegant for his role as a principal landowner, but William Bishop makes something interesting of his part as the film's primary villain, although his dialogue is no more penetrating than that of any other cast member. The plot deploys O'Hara as Kate Maxwell, a dance hall diva who is set up as proprietress of a saloon by her former lover, Jim Averill (Bishop) so that he may utilize her place of business as a front for rustling cattle, whereupon Kate is rent by her dual attraction to Averill and to the sheriff, who is taking steps to oppose this criminal enterprise. Director Lee Sholem, a straight ahead sort, is not given to varying of moods within his pictures, and that is the case here, resulting in a cursory and literal reading of the puerile script. Edward Stevenson's costumes for O'Hara are striking and appropriate and master make-up artist Bud Westmore does not have his craftsmanship disturbed by her riding and shooting activity, which is of a piece with the others in the colorfully garbed cast, whose raiment is barely disturbed by violent goings-on; indeed, the players often appear to be about to launch into song and dance, turning this affair into a musical of sorts, which might have been an improvement. The film includes the debut of Jeanne Cooper and an early effort of Dennis Weaver, atypically portraying a hard case, and somehow Robert Strauss is included in this one, completely out of place. Despite crisp editing, REDHEAD seems to take a long while arriving at its predictable ending, and although the cast never seems the worse for wear from its exertions, the viewer certainly will be, during this motivationless attempt to cast light upon a significant segment of Western American history.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• :wink_smile:

lasbugas, your photos are stunning!

That's what the lovely Maureen wrote:

"Unfortunately, I'm already working on another not very good western The Redhead from Wyoming to Universal. It is disappointing to work on such a bad movie when I receive praise for this most bravura film (The Quiet Man). then I was injured on the set when an extra shot fired too close to me during a shootout scene. I had powder burns on my neck and shoulders and under my arm. I was rushed to hospital from the studio for first aid and remove the powder so that there is no persistent spot on my skin. "

I really liked this movie. Maureen is really beautiful!

A short video

and Original trailer

Tell me if you have problems to read

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 4 times, last by Romy ().