Dance, Girl, Dance (1940)

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,697 times. The latest Post () was by Romy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• DANCE, GIRL, DANCE

DIRECTED BY DOROTHY ARZNER
    PRODUCED BY HARRY E. EDDINGTON/ ERICH POMMER
    RKO RADIO PICTURES

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Judy O'Brien is an aspiring ballerina in a dance troupe.
    Also in the company is Bubbles, a brash mantrap
    who leaves the struggling troupe for a career in burlesque.
    When the company disbands, Bubbles gives Judy a thankless job as her stooge.
    The two eventually clash when both fall for the same man.
    Written by Daniel Bubbeo

Full Cast
    Maureen O'Hara .... Judy O'Brien
    Louis Hayward .... Jimmy Harris
    Lucille Ball .... Bubbles/Tiger Lily White
    Virginia Field .... Elinor Harris
    Ralph Bellamy .... Steve Adams
    Maria Ouspenskaya .... Madame Lydia Basilova
    Mary Carlisle .... Sally
    Katharine Alexander .... Miss Olmstead
    Edward Brophy .... Dwarfie Humblewinger
    Walter Abel .... Judge
    Harold Huber .... Hoboken Gent
    Ernest Truex .... Bailey #1
    Chester Clute .... Bailey #2
    Lorraine Krueger .... Dolly
    Lola Jensen .... Daisy
    Emma Dunn .... Mrs. Simpson
    Sidney Blackmer .... Puss in Boots
    Vivien Fay .... The Ballerina (as Vivian Fay)
    Ludwig Stössel .... Caesar (as Ludwig Stossel)
    Ernö Verebes .... Fitch (as Erno Verebes)
    Stanley Blystone .... Plainclothesman at Palais Royale (uncredited)
    Wade Boteler .... Policeman at Palais Royale (uncredited)
    Paul E. Burns .... Reporter calling Elinor (uncredited)
    Leo Cleary .... Court Clerk (uncredited)
    Clyde Cook .... Claude, Harris' Valet (uncredited)
    Ray Cooke .... Reporter in Hallway (uncredited)
    Gino Corrado .... Gino, Club Ferdinand Waiter (uncredited)
    Kernan Cripps .... Night Court Bailiff (uncredited)
    Bess Flowers .... Woman with Elinor at Club Ferdiand (uncredited)
    Paul Fung .... Chinese Waiter (uncredited)
    Lew Harvey .... Reporter at Taxi (uncredited)
    Donald Kerr .... Photographer in Hallway (uncredited)
    Milton Kibbee .... Reporter at Taxi (uncredited)
    Jeanne Lafayette .... Nanette, Elinor's Maid (uncredited)
    Tony Martelli .... Waiter (uncredited)
    Robert McKenzie .... Otto, the Fat Man (uncredited)
    Frank Mills .... Man Booing Judy (uncredited)
    Bert Moorhouse .... Jimmy's friend in nightclub (uncredited)
    Philip Morris .... Policeman (uncredited)
    Robert Emmett O'Connor .... Plainclothesman at Palais Royale (uncredited)
    Jack O'Shea .... Patron of Palais Royale (uncredited)
    Lee Phelps .... Plainclothesman at Palais Royale (uncredited)
    Paul Phillips .... Reporter (uncredited)
    Paul Renay .... Headwaiter (uncredited)
    Dewey Robinson .... Palais Royale Manager (uncredited)
    Ralph Sanford .... Taxi Driver (uncredited)
    Ruth Seeley .... Dimples (uncredited)
    Lee Shumway .... Policeman (uncredited)
    Harry Tyler .... Bailey Brothers' Barker (uncredited)
    Lee 'Lasses' White .... Bailey Brothers' Stage Manager (uncredited)
    Thelma Woodruff .... Mary (uncredited)
    Marjorie Woodworth .... Jane (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Vicki Baum story
    Frank Davis
    Tess Slesinger

Original Music
    Chet Forrest (song "Mother, What Do I Do Now?") (song title uncredited) (as Chester Forrest)
    Bob Wright (song "Mother, What Do I Do Now?") (song title uncredited) (as Robert Wright)
    Wladimir A. Timm (song "Beer Barrel Polka") (uncredited)
    Jaromir Vejvoda (song "Beer Barrel Polka") (uncredited)
    Vasek Zeman (song "Beer Barrel Polka [Roll Out the Barrel]") (uncredited)

Non-Original Music
    Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (from "The Wedding March") (uncredited)

Cinematography
    Russell Metty
    Joseph H. August (uncredited)

Trivia
    Roy Del Ruth was originally assigned to direct, but he quit over creative differences with producer Erich Pommer, so Dorothy Arzner was assigned the job.
    Share this
    Ironically, in later years, star Lucille Ball would actually own RKO, the company that made this film.

Lucille Ball and Maureen O'Hara became inseparable friends while shooting this film, and remained lifelong friends until Ball's death in 1989. O'Hara was having lunch with her when Ball first saw her future husband Desi Arnaz.

This film is included in the book "1001 Movies You Need to See Before You Die", edited by Steven Jay Schneide

Memorable Quotes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Dance, Girl, Dance is a film released in 1940,
    directed by Dorothy Arzner.
    In 2007, Dance, Girl, Dance was selected for preservation in the
    United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally,
    historically, or aesthetically significant", describing it as Arzner's "most intriguing film"
    and a "meditation on the disparity between art and commerce.
    The dancers, played by Maureen O'Hara and Lucille Ball,
    strive to preserve their own feminist integrity,
    while fighting for their place in the spotlight and for the love of male lead Louis Hayward."
    Dance, Girl, Dance was edited by Robert Wise,
    whose next film as editor was Citizen Kane and who later won Oscars
    as director of West Side Story and The Sound of Music.

Lucille Ball joins Maureen in this ordinary film,
    The fans liked the film, but the critics didn't!
    and I think the comments below, nearly as long as the movie, sum it up!!!

The end should have been the beginning!,
    Author: from Chicago, Illinois

Judy O'Brien is an aspiring ballerina in Madama Basilova's dance troupe. Lucy "Bubbles" has oomph and no class, so she makes it big in burlesque right away. This movie is frustrating. First, Madama Basilova takes her favorite and principal dancer Judy to New York to meet the major ballet company director. In her excitement she rushes into oncoming traffic and dies instantly. Judy should have been holding her hand or keeping her back, but what can you do. Next when Judy finally does go back to meet the producer Steve Adams, the receptionist doesn't know who she is, she watches the dress rehearsal and is intimidated. Now she doesn't even want an audition. Then infuriatingly Steve Adams gets on the same elevator down, and she doesn't even put two and two together. He is immediately smitten by her beauty, but she assumes he is merely a flirtatious smoothie and her dignity is further assaulted by the fact that she has lost her last dime, missed the bus, and is without an umbrella in the rain. He never says his name, so she goes onto an offer she can't refuse from Bubbles as a shill to intro her number. Then she endures cruel taunts from perverts and the shame of having to compromise her principles just to survive and dance. Luckily Steve Adams reads about her in the papers and goes to watch her performance. He is ready to sign her but she still doesn't know it's him and rips up his business card! Among this is the wealthy tire company heir from Akron Jimmy Harris, a fickle but harmless and fun playboy who offers a momentary romantic diversion for Judy and Bubbles, but ultimately gets back together with his estranged wife. It's a happy ending providing some relief when Judy finally meets Steve Adams and he promises her career with the company will be stellar. She will at last be able to adapt the "Morning Star" that she is. This should be the beginning of the sequel, where she becomes a Mrs Ballanchine type except that instead of tiring of her as she grows old he falls more deeply in love with her with each ballet that is created for her, as her greatness fame world renown and idolatry grow ever more out of control. And no tragedy like "The Red Shoes" except for that of his ultimate passing as he is older and his work is done here, he cannot outdo himself and his legacy to the world is complete, with heartwarming memories for effective softfocus slomo dreamlike flashbacks. But at least we know it gets better after the movie ends.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I liked this Film this Film Very Much, but this was the Type of Film that every one liked in those days when we were not watching Duke in Westerns. :rolleyes:

I sure Wish Maureen would come Back Home to Her House in Scottsdale, Arizona Soon so we could get Her to Duke's 100th Birthday Party at the 26 Bar Ranch in May of 2007!!! :D That would be Great. :wub:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• I liked this Film this Film Very Much, but this was the Type of Film that every one liked in those days when we were not watching Duke in Westerns. :rolleyes:

I sure Wish Maureen would come Back Home to Her House in Scottsdale, Arizona Soon so we could get Her to Duke's 100th Birthday Party at the 26 Bar Ranch in May of 2007!!! :D That would be Great. :wub:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Just to inform you that this movie came ou on DVD June 19 2007. It is in the Lucille Ball collection and also sold as an individual. I haven't seen this movie yet but I wanted to let you know of it's release.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Maureen gets top billing in this movie and I don't think that Lucille Ball has a big part in this movie. I haven't seen the movie myself, but I think I heard that Ball didn't have a big part.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• :wink_smile:

Conducted by Dorothy Arzner, the only woman director at the time, the film was completed in July 1940. Maureen and Lucille Ball became later very accomplices...

A small video

Good reading

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 2 times, last by Romy ().

• :wink_smile:

.................................... The pictures from the film ..................

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush: