It's Halloween

There are 93 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 24,619 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Howdy All,
    Since we are talking about horror movies, and since it's almost Halloween, I thought I'd ask what you were all up to? Around my homestead, we really decorate the yard as a haunted graveyard called "Ravenswood Cemetery." We put up dead trees, tombstones, graves (some open), zombies, corpses, coffins, bats, rats, crows, and other assorted sundry halloween stuff. We also use a couple of fog machines, special lighting, and about a dozen small CD players each with special sound effects. Plus we dress up the older kids and myself to "work" the cemetery. Usually we get several hundred kids, and go through about 100 pounds of candy. It is quite a huge undertaking and takes about a week to set up.
    So. What are you all up this Tuesday?
    Best to all,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi Colorado Bob

That sounds very impressive. What I will be doing will be certainly a lot less spectacular a quiet evening watching a good horror movie and maybe meeting up with a few friends, where I come from Halloween is not really a big event.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi all,

We are having a Halloween party tomorrow night (Saturday).
    My wife Maria has spent the last 2 days decorating the inside
    of the house. There are spiders in lots of webs, Bats hanging
    from the ceilings, ghouls around every corner, and witches to
    frighten the heartiest soul, and a C D with sound effects. As I
    write this she is in the kitchen baking cakes and buns for the
    younger kids. Later I'll be making a big pot of Bill's Duke's Chili
    and some of Mrs C's hot cornbread for us older kids. On the
    night anyone wishing to enter the house will have to be dressed
    in Halloween costume, I will be dressed as that great Irishman
    "Count O'Dracula". There will be fireworks in the back garden.
    On Halloween night the local kids will be out in their costumes,
    going from door to door trick or treating. There is a fireworks
    display in the carpark of a local supermarket, which we always
    watch. That's our Halloween. I hope everyone enjoys theirs

Emmanuel. :devil::devil::violinist:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Nothing fancy, taking the kids trick or treating. We decorated a little. I wanted to carve a pumpkin with my son, but he is afraid of Jack-o-lanterns. Maybe next year.

• Halloween is a day that has no tradition here, allthough we are starting to see the merchants trying to push it on us here too the last few years. Quite frankly I can do without it.

Being grown up and not having celebrated it as a child I will let it pass without a celebration. Wow, what a negative post.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Howdy All,
    To my wife and I it's not a real holiday, just a chance to have some good clean fun, and treat the kids that come by. We kinda figure it's really a time for the kids, and we try to give them a good, and safe time.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I'll be sitting on the porch with my two cats watching for the trick-or-treaters to come for some free candy. No parties planned but will be having some good Pizza for supper. :D The cats of course will be dining on canned food. :rolleyes:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Now Ringo you should let the cats have the pizza and you eat the cat food!
    :lol: Just kidding!

Let me see. I'll be at the door receiving the trick-or-treaters. Nothing special at my house. Not the same as it was when I was a kid. Too much has happened to take away the fun we once had.

Most kids go to churches and downtown merchants for the Halloween treats. One year we had only two kids come to the house. It has picked up but not the same as it was in my youth.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'll be home, scaring the kiddies with my big, ugly incision :omg2:! (Thanks, dukefan1, for that suggestion :devil: heh, heh, heh). But after that, I've got to take it easy so I can regain my strength for Thanksgiving :jump: . Actually, we live in an area that doesn't really get very many trick-or-treaters, so I'll have a pretty quiet evening.

The Mrs. might take the kids to a local church event called Trunk-or-Treat. A bunch of folks decorate their cars, and give the kids treats from the trunk of the car. The kids get the desired candy in a relatively safe environment, in a relatively short period of time (that makes the Mrs. happy).

Chester :newyear:

• Morgan Hill closes the downtown for a few hours for trick-or-treating and then after that we will be headed to our Church for fun and games and candy of course. My oldest daughter is now "to old" to dress up, but my middle and youngest daughter are dressing up as princesses and my son may be going as Buzz Lightyear, man I can't wait till he decides something is better than buzz...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Hondo, OWCH, that hurts! :D Actually, trading food with the cats might not be such a bad idea. What passes for "real" Pizza around here almost makes one want to eat cat food. :rolleyes:

• Well, last Halloween, we had a major thunderstorm but still managed to get about 15 kids-some running for cover from the rain ;-))

Anyway, this year, I bought 4 bags of candy which I will mix together in a large bowl, and then give outa fist full of candy for each kid that comes. The fewer that come, the more they get. Last year, I gave out two handfulls fo candy. Someone mentioned that most go to Malls and Churches for trick or treating, same thing happened here. However, I did manage to pass out most of the candy last year. This year, who knows what will happen??????????? :yeaahh:

• this year the little bloke is going out with his friend to do trick or treat, they only go to family houses of both families, have gotten in lollies for them and placed them into bags so that all i have to do is give them all a bag each. he is going dressed as a army man as he calls it. while it is not really celebrated kids still go round for the free lollies and some of them really go all out when they dressup it is great to see them enjoying themselves, hope i dont get more than 15 children visit otherwise i will run out of lollies.

you all enjoy yourselves and be safe

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• We went downtown again this year and holy cow it was crowded. Last year we where able to walk up to each buisness that was giving out candy with no problems. This year there was a line of no less than 20 people at each table, just waiting for one little peice of candy. So we didn't spend much time there and just headed off to our Church where we did Trunker-or-Treat this year, the kids had a blast and got lots of candy.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• It was really quiet last night for Halloween. Must have had only about 50 trick-or-treaters so there was a lot of left over candy.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Jay, you had ONLY about 50? Heh, I was lucky in that I got seven this year.:yeaahh: Like I predicted, each kid got a fist-full of candy. I still have more than half of it left. I've been giving it to library employees as I show up here.