It's Halloween

There are 93 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 24,662 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Shows what I [don't] know! Here I was under the impression that those under 60 YO had never even heard of outhouses and now I discover that not only have they heard of 'em but have actually used 'em.

I remember them here, we had them well into the 70's and later.
    Boy it used to be cold, sitting out there!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I'm amazed - here I was thinking that the entire Free World had indoor plumbing no later than, say, about 1950 and now I learn it didn't. :stunned:

Reminds me of an secretary I used to know in an office we shared during my last tour of duty in Deutschland. She was an old country girl from someplace in Missouri, just as I was an old country boy from Oklahoma/Texas, and we used to try to outdo each other in our stories of deprivation as youngsters - "I was poorer than you were"; "No, I was poorer than you were". Caused a lot of laughs among our co-workers. :gora:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• My granddad had an outhouse at his old place and we had to use old newspaper and i can tell you in winter it was not a very pleasent experience. but as my old grandad used to say " its character building lad ! "

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• and we had to use old newspaper

We used to have the Daily Mirror cut up into pieces, and hanging on a meat hook.
    Amazing what we did with newspapers back then,
    one minute we would be eating fish and chips from them,
    and the next, they were hanging up in the outhouse!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• We used to have the Daily Mirror cut up into pieces, and hanging on a meat hook.
    Amazing what we did with newspapers back then,
    one minute we would be eating fish and chips from them,
    and the next, they were hanging up in the outhouse!!!

I can think of a lot of newspapers in circulation today that I'd like to use for exactly that purpose.

• my old grandad used to say " its character building lad ! "

I know this sounds crazy, Ned, but I kinda agree with your grandad. IMO, we've become too "civilized" and in the process, it has softened us and destroyed our character. People just have it too damned easy nowadays.

• I know this sounds crazy, Ned, but I kinda agree with your grandad. IMO, we've become too "civilized" and in the process, it has softened us and destroyed our character. People just have it too damned easy nowadays.

Stumpy,you are correct.When my Grandads were both away fighting in WW2 and everything was rationed here it must have been so hard for everyone.People nowadays aren't built of the same stuff as them.I see people in supermarkets piling stuff in their trolleys that they don't really need and i think to myself that they would never have survived as my Grandparents did during the war years.

• Stumpy,you are correct.When my Grandads were both away fighting in WW2 and everything was rationed here it must have been so hard for everyone.People nowadays aren't built of the same stuff as them.I see people in supermarkets piling stuff in their trolleys that they don't really need and i think to myself that they would never have survived as my Grandparents did during the war years.

Over here they've coined a term for the generation that fought in WW2 - they call it "The Greatest Generation".

We owe so much to them yet most people never give them a thought.

• Over here they've coined a term for the generation that fought in WW2 - they call it "The Greatest Generation".

We owe so much to them yet most people never give them a thought.

i agree,i bet most youngsters over here have never heard of D-Day and the Normandy landings. Heroes to them are these idiots on x factor

• i bet most youngsters over here have never heard of D-Day and the Normandy landings

I'm ensuring that my grandkids are familiar with the heroes of WW2 by providing all of them with copies of "The Longest Day", "Battle of Britain" and other [fairly] accurate films dealing with the subject. And I'm drilling into their thick little skulls the huge debt we owe to "The Greatest Generation" for preserving our freedoms and way of life.

• I'm ensuring that my grandkids are familiar with the heroes of WW2 by providing all of them with copies of "The Longest Day", "Battle of Britain" and other [fairly] accurate films dealing with the subject. And I'm drilling into their thick little skulls the huge debt we owe to "The Greatest Generation" for preserving our freedoms and way of life.

AMEN, Stumpy, amen!

Those lessons will become more and more important in the years to come!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi All

I have read this post backwards! (newest first) and forgive me for saying so, but what has the D day landings, outhouses, "kids over here being soft" etc etc got to do with the subject it's halloween? not saying these things should not be discussed just curious as to where halloween went?

As my children think I am the wicked witch of the west, yesterday being "mums day" I was very busy trying to maintain my balance on my broomstick all night, so forgive me if my tired brain cannot make the connection :teeth_smile:

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Edited once, last by Elly: Sorry! forgot to use the spell checker ().

• Hi All

I have read this post backwards! (newest first) and forgive me for saying so, but what has the D day landings, outhouses, "kids over here being soft" etc etc got to do with the subject it's halloween? not saying these things should not be discussed just curious as to where halloween went?

As my children think I am the wicked witch of the west, yesterday being "mums day" I was very busy trying to maintain my balance on my broomstick all night, so forgive me if my tired brain cannot make the connection :teeth_smile:

You appear to have tunnel vision, Elly. :wink:

• we didnt do halloween this year, and i to know what an outhouse is i used to used one as a child but we had to check for redbacks under the dunny seat before we could use it.we had to throw sawdust down it after we had been and done our business, we also had the nightwatchman who came and collected the bucket each night. there are many places now that still use thunderboxes because there is no running water for plumming. the never ending ones can be somewhat scary, one i used had wind blowing back up the hole spooky.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"