Monument Valley, Arizona

There are 115 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 135,379 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Great shot...send More !!! The Lawman

A Man..should know how to handle a gun..Use it with Discretion...:cowboy:

• Hi guys,
    here's another B&W shot.
    Bit of info, I watched the John Ford / Monument Valley docu on the Fort Apache Blu ray before my wedding/honeymoon and was intrigued about the technique they used to get the sky and clouds so dramatic in the film.
    I've 'borrowed' this nugget of info to get the skies in my BW pics to hopefully have a vintage John Ford feel!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Absolutely stunning. I am so envious now. I got to get out that way one day.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I cannot tell you how amazing and magical a place it is. We spent a day at the Grand Canyon, did a helicopter trip etc. which was amazing but Monument Valley has something else about it. If you can you should really try and go; being a Duke fan also will make it all the more special. Glad you've enjoyed the post.
    ATB
    Peter (Dooley)

• Same here Mark, perhaps we'll make it on your next birthday?
    Once again Dooley, thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

No problem at all. It's great being able to share them with everyone.

ATB

Peter (Dooley)

• How much was the rental on the horses, and how long are the tours? I can imagine, however long it was, it wasn't long enough.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• How much was the rental on the horses, and how long are the tours? I can imagine, however long it was, it wasn't long enough.

Mark

They vary depending on who you use, there are quite a few in the area. A lot are an hour, waste of time IMO as that's far too short, then they do sunset treks which are 2 hours, awesome, a must do, how the light changes at Monument Valley every minute at that time is amazing. You can also bespoke if you're willing to pay outside the pre-organised tours.

We did a day trek, 4 hours, and a sunset trek, 2 hrs. If you haven't ridden before 4 hours may be a bit harsh!

They are pretty relaxed, not polished 'guided tours' like some with the rangers at national parks can be, but I actually prefer the less 'school teacher' approach, gives you time to really soak up the atmosphere. I took most of the more dramatic shots when on horseback.

I'll put a few pics of the trekking on too, you may as well see all our pics ;)

• To me, on horseback would be the only way to see Monument Valley. Another great photo, Dooley. We don't mind seeing all of your pics. Some of us can't get enough of that beautiful landscape. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• To me, on horseback would be the only way to see Monument Valley. Another great photo, Dooley. We don't mind seeing all of your pics. Some of us can't get enough of that beautiful landscape. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I agree Horseback is the only way.

I tried to keep as much 'civilisation' out of the pics as possible: roads, telegraph poles, cars etc. Thankfully not too difficult around Monument Valley, Mexican Hat etc.