Ireland (The Quiet Man)

There are 89 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 110,049 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Cong is about 4 1/2 hours from waterford.in a small country like ireland its great to have a great landmark and to have the great john wayne over here. Ive been to cong about 10 times and each time i meet people that was involved in the film and the storyies about the making of the film is so wonderful. Theres a family from america that owns the land where the white o morn is on and the people of cong tryed to buy it from him but he wont sell the land.may be one day.

• That big problem with White O’Morn is just that Mr. Gregory Ebbitt, Santa Ana, California have not doing anything good with the cottage so that is a ruin today.

• Here's a sad looking sight and article from
    the local newspaper at the time

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]February '02 News[/SIZE][/SIZE]

The 'Quiet Man' Cottage at Peacocke's went on fire just before
    the annual Bogman's Ball on Saturday night - the thatch is completely gone.
    Galway and Clifden Fire Brigade attended, but before they arrived
    the staff had done their best to keep it under control
    but the winds were too strong and really hampered all efforts to save it.
    "John Wayne", "Maureen O Hara" etc. and many of the artifacts were saved.
    The staff are really to be praised, most had to get changes of clothes etc.
    and then worked on for the ball catering for 375 people !!!
    And at 5pm on Sunday the children from Holy Cross (Ardoyne) school
    were due to arrive!! - thanks to Caitríona for the news.
    Thanks to Connemara.net

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Ringo Kid- Waterford,Ireland
    I was in Ireland in June -2007. Went to Cong and looked for "Quiet Man" places. Had a wonderful time, the Irish are very nice people and Duke made one of his best movies
    there.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Wow...thanks for all the info....I would love to visit one day !!!!!

Have been to Dublin a few times over the years, and the Guinness was lovely, and what I remember of the pub crawls ..... superb little pubs and always a HUGE welcome....fantastic !!!

• Truth to tell, I'm looking for images of the cottage, especially those clearly showing the door. At this rate, I may just end up watching the film again. This picture is very interesting, as it seems the bottom half of the door opens out, and the top half in.

This one is awesome, except, again, the door is open:

• As many of you may be aware from reading the Duke's Movie Locations - Ireland forum, the cottage used in The Quiet Man, White O'Morn, is in a terrible state of disrepair.

There is a concerted, organized effort (spearheaded by our good friend Mike Ward in Ireland) to Save the Quiet Man Cottage. I'm sure many of you will be very interested in this project. He also has a group on Facebook of the same name, for those of you on FB.

We want to encourage everyone to see what they can do to make this happen!

Maureen O'Hara will be visiting Cong village at the end of this month, to launch what is hoped to become an annual event there.[/SIZE]

• I have been given permission by the photographer
    Patrick McCormick to post these rare photographs.

Duke in the chair, with John Ford in the hat,.............With kind permission of Patrick McCormick
    surrounded by the cast etc. In the grounds of Ashford Castle

A scene taking place,John Ford in the hat, Maureen centre.With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

Stepping stones...................................................With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• White O'Morn Cottage

As it was in 1951................................................With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

As it is now.......................................................With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

Another break in filming as John Ford and John Wayne discuss something...

With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

John Ford looks like he's dancing (or something)! Maureen with her back to the camera and 'Duke' looking on...

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England