Men Are Like That (1931)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 15 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Men Are Like That (1931)

MEN ARE LIKE THAT
      aka Arizona

DIRECTED BY GEORGE B. SEITZ
      PRODUCED BY HARRY COHN
      COLUMBIA PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
      West Point football star Bob Denton is a protege of Colonel Holmes,
      who considers Bob almost a son. Bob is a ladies' man who resists commitment,
      and when he tells girlfriend Evelyn that he has no intention of marrying her,
      she takes revenge by romancing Colonel Holmes,
      to whose Arizona base Bob has been assigned. Evelyn marries Holmes, and the colonel,
      unaware of her former relationship with Bob, encourages Bob in his blossoming romance with Bonita,
      Evelyn's younger sister. With Bonita, Bob finds reason for committing to a long-term relationship,
      and the two are secretly married. But when Bob is caught in a falsely compromising situation,
      Evelyn sees her chance to get even with Bob and to protect her sister
      from what Evelyn perceives as Bob's bad attitude toward women.
      Summary written by Jim Beaver

Full Cast
      Laura La Plante .... Evelyn Palmer Bonham
      John Wayne .... Lt. Bob Denton
      June Clyde .... Bonita 'Bonnie' Palmer
      Forrest Stanley .... Colonel Frank Bonham
      Nina Quartero .... Conchita
      Susan Fleming .... Dot
      Loretta Sayers .... Peggy
      Hugh Cummings .... Hank
      Adrian Morris .... Officer (uncredited)
      Harry Northrup .... (uncredited)
      Charles Sellon .... Officer (uncredited)

Writing Credits
      Dorothy Howell continuity
      Robert Riskin adaptation (dialogue)
      Augustus E. Thomas play Arizona

Original Music
      Mischa Bakaleinikoff (uncredited)

Cinematography
      Ted Tetzlaff

Trivia
      Unknown

Goofs
      Unknown

Filming Locations
      Unknown
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 10 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Men Are Like That. aka. Arizona (1931)

Men Are Like That was a 1931 movie
      starring Laura La Plante and John Wayne.
      It was directed by George B. Seitz,
      and released by Columbia Pictures

Duke played the part of Lt. Bob Denton
      a West Point graduate, traveling to an Arizona army post.

However, it was a trite plot, and with unconvincing perfomances
      by Duke and his leading lady, doomed the film to poor reviews.

Author: Gary Dickerson, Austin, TX

I suppose this is what they used to call a "woman's picture." Laura LaPlante, a fetching, if gnomish blonde, plays Evelyn Palmer, a New York girl (what she does for a living is never revealed) who's been dallying with dashing West Point cadet Bob Denton, played robotically by a very young & handsome John Wayne. When she is dumped unceremoniously before Bob's graduation, Evelyn woos & eventually marries his mentor, Colonel Bonham, played by Forrest Stanley more like a stuffed-shirt British army officer than an American who's spent years in Arizona. The big complication is that, once the newlywed Bonhams relocate to Arizona, Denton shows up for duty &, despite Evelyn's triumphant attitude toward him, Denton takes a fancy to Evelyn's sister, Bonnie, who's the cutest flapper I've seen in ages.

This plot, made today, might have a bit more nastiness in that; it's as close to a "Cruel Intentions" as you're going to get in 1931. That Bob & Evelyn are having a sexual relationship is implied, of course, & it's amusing how, later in the picture, every time someone's about to say it, that person is interrupted or hushed. More than that, though I saw this on the Starz Western channel, it's more like your average sophisticated thirties melodrama than a western. The cigarettes are in boxes, gowns are worn to dinner, & the Colonel's house in Arizona is strictly Long Island.

The film features some amusing stock footage of an Army-Navy football game, as well as military maneuvers. But without giving anything away, the film unwinds & then winds up in a pretty cliched manner. For John Wayne fans, it's bound to be extremely disappointing, but for those of us who are intrigued by the early days of Hollywood, good & bad, it's not such a bad way to spend an hour. But it was way too silly to be moving, & it's by the numbers mix-up plot never really generates any suspense.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Arizona.(Men Are Like That) (1931)

chester7777 wrote:

Keith or Arthur,

Has either one of you been privileged to see this film through the film society over there? Is there any obscure source of this film?

Chester :newyear:

Yes Jim,

It is available from

The John Wayne Film Society

Well it was listed in their latest newsletter
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

We don't have any pics of posters for this film, we do have a couple of pictures of lobby cards we thought you'd like seeing.

Chester :newyear:
      Files

Hi

I bought a good VHS copy from the States some time ago and a DVD from The Film Society just after Christmas I haven't watched either yet. I will do in the next couple of weeks and let you know what its like.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low
    • Arizona (1931)

Er, I couldn't find a thread for this early John Wayne title, but there is news about it, so I'm starting one. I hope this is in the right section of the forum!

The Columbia Pictures Pre-Code Classics Collection will be released on July 2, and the titles include the early John Wayne movie Arizona (1931). (YAY!)

Here is the description of the set:

Columbia Pictures Pre-Code Collection

Format:

West Point grad John Wayne comes to regret his appointment to a base in "Arizona" (1931) when he learns that resentful ex Laura La Plante is newly married to his C.O. June Clyde co-stars. Taxi dancer Barbara Stanwyck's dreams of rising above her circumstances are dashed by her wastrel husband in "Ten Cents A Dance" (1931). Ricardo Cortez, Sally Blane co-star. Streetwalker Carole Lombard sees a chance for a new life when she falls for kindly cabbie Pat O'Brien, but her past continues to haunt her, in "Virtue" (1932). Ward Bond co-stars. Jean Harlow bolts her small town to join buddy Mae Clarke as a Manhattan model, but isn't prepared for the accompanying heartbreak, in "Three Wise Girls" (1932). Marie Prevost, Andy Devine co-star. Pert waitress Barbara Stanwyck catches the eye of rich boy Regis Toomey, and controlling mom Clara Blandick will go to any lengths to break the affair up, in "Shopworn" (1932). ZaSu Pitts co-stars. 5 3/4 hrs. total on five discs. Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital stereo; photo gallery.

Additional description of Arizona:

West Point football star Bob Denton is a protege of Colonel Bonham, who considers Bob almost a son. Bob is a ladies' man who resists commitment, and when he tells girlfriend Evelyn that he has no intention of marrying her, she takes revenge by romancing Colonel Bonham, to whose Arizona base Bob has been assigned. Evelyn marries Bonham, and the colonel, unaware of her former relationship with Bob, encourages Bob in his blossoming romance with Bonita, Evelyn's younger sister. With Bonita, Bob finds reason for committing to a long-term relationship, and the two are secretly married. But when Bob is caught in a falsely compromising situation, Evelyn sees her chance to get even with Bob and to protect her sister from what Evelyn perceives as Bob's bad attitude toward women.
    • Re: Arizona (1931)

Paula wrote:

Er, I couldn't find a thread for this early John Wayne title, but there is news about it, so I'm starting one. I hope this is in the right section of the forum!

Hello Paula

this is Men are like that

see the post here

dukewayne.com/showthread.php?t=2709

[LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]