Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 338,201 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have to cuss a little every time I read a news story about the big dogs filing suit against some little leaguer over a copyright violation. The hypocrisy involved is mind boggling.

Have y'all paid any attention to the studio credits shown on movies in the past few years? Seems like everybody in Hollyweird owns a piece of 'em., yet let some college student download one for his personal enjoyment and right away they start hollering copyright infringement. Anymore, it's almost impossible to pin down who really owns the rights to a film or song because it seems like everybody who's connected to the entertainment business does.

Stumpy, it all comes down to the same problem that has got the country/world in the mess it is in, GREED....People just are not happy with what they have, they want more, more, more!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• This page perfectly illustrates why this country is going to hell in a handbasket. The idiots in Washington are busily spending us into national bankruptcy and erecting ever more oppressive federal controls over our lives, while our foreign enemies are threatening to destroy us, and the clownish national media is obsessed with the death of a pop singer. Heaven help us.......

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I wish one of you economists would explain something in laymen's terms that this simple-minded dolt can comprehend.

For a year or so, all we've read is how housing, both new and pre-owned, is in the tank. It therefore stands to reason that the price of building materials, such as plywood and/or lumber, should be much less because no developers are building new houses (Remember the old laws of supply and demand? Or do those laws no longer apply since His Highness took office?)

Anyway, a couple of days ago I went to Lowes to shop for plywood and I swear, a decent-looking sheet of 3/4 inch plywood is 35 or 40 dollars. That's totally ridiculous, I think. I know I'm living in the past but my gosh, we used to be able to buy such plywood for 7 or 8 bucks tops.

• During almost every television commercial break, the newest prescription drugs are marketed like chocolate candy. It's getting to the point where people are being reduced to believing they can't scratch their own arses without the assistance of the latest government-approved pill.

And aside from the buku $$$, why do drug companies even advertise? Isn't that advocating self medication? "Hey doc, I saw an ad for seconals and maybe that's what'll cure my insomnia."

Is that how it works? Patients see the ads, run to their doctor and make prescription "suggestions"?

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I would love to know how they justify the high cost of pills these days. Being mass produced, wouldn't that bring the cost down? My Mother-In-Law lives with me and is on so many meds, I hate to see her swallow them all. And most of them send me into sticker shock when I see what we pay for them. Does it really cost that much to make them?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I would love to know how they justify the high cost of pills these days. Being mass produced, wouldn't that bring the cost down? My Mother-In-Law lives with me and is on so many meds, I hate to see her swallow them all. And most of them send me into sticker shock when I see what we pay for them. Does it really cost that much to make them?

Mark

Good old fashioned Greed. I know that's nothing new, but you know that that's the number one reason. Anything else is just semantics. And you know that those companies are just rolling in do-re-mi because their omnipresent national ads must cost millions to run as often as they do.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Y'all don't wanna mess with my oldest son if you meet him. I got a call from him today and he just got his concealed-carry permit. I asked him what he was gonna carry and he said an M1911. For those of you unfamiliar with firearms, that's a .45, which will stop you in your tracks.

• It looks like the Newest Air Bus Crash in the Indian Ocean was almost the same as the One a few Weeks ago off the Coast of South America !
    :ohwell:
    It looks like there is Big Problems with Over Ridding The Auto Pilot in Bad Rough Weather by The Pilot and there has been Trouble with this System in the Past !!
    :no:
    If You are Going to Fly on One Of These French Air Bus Aircraft I would Change My Flight to One that is
    NOT A AIR BUS !!!
    :fear:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• This is an interesting website from USGenWeb. Click on your state, then county and it'll show old-style penny postcards (do they still even have postcards - haven't used one in a long, long time) that were used way back when. As a nostalgic person, I get a big kick out of stuff like this.

• This lousy economy is hittin' close to home.

A few nights ago a middle aged couple who live in my hometown, and who had at least one teenager living at home, committed suicide by standing on the train track that runs through the edge of town and letting the train hit them. The man lost his job a month or so ago (I don't know if his wife worked).

Sad..........

• This lousy economy is hittin' close to home.

A few nights ago a middle aged couple who live in my hometown, and who had at least one teenager living at home, committed suicide by standing on the train track that runs through the edge of town and letting the train hit them. The man lost his job a month or so ago (I don't know if his wife worked).

Sad..........

Christ on a bike,what can be that bad that you have to top yourself?
    to stand in front of a train as well blimey that takes some bottle.
    a very sad story though

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Old age is a natural-born bitch.

Things that I used to do when I was younger and thought nothing of it seem like a real chore nowadays. For instance, this morning, I changed the water filters (2) in my refrigerator and cleaned the coils by blowing the dust out of them using an air compressor and it seems like it took forever and was a lot of work. After doing the fridge I decided I needed to level the outside compressor unit on my central air because it's been making what sounds like an unnatural noise (and I sure don't need anything going wrong with my HVAC unit with the temperature above 105F). That too seemed like it took much more effort than it would have 45 or 50 years ago.

Any of you other guys who are aging a bit think small chores seem a lot harder nowadays?