In celebration of John Wayne's 100th, four studios put up their Dukes

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,028 times. The latest Post () was by Yeehaa!.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• As stars go, John Wayne still brandishes enough firepower to light up a Texas-size sky and that's no hyperbole, partner.

The actor born Marion Morrison -- who would've turned 100 on May 26 -- still rates as one of America's favorite movie actors, according to the most recent Harris Poll. In 2006, he finished third (behind Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks but ahead of Will Smith, Julia Roberts and Johnny Depp, for those keeping score) and has placed first or second almost every year prior to 2001.

Hollywood studio honchos know this, and beginning Tuesday, they plan on emptying their vaults onto DVD in celebration of the Duke's 100th. Close to 70 titles are slated for release, or will be available, between now and mid-June -- including a half-dozen not on disc until now. Lionsgate, Universal, Warner Home Video and Paramount will all take part, with the latter two studios coordinating releases and promotional efforts -- a feat largely unprecedented in DVD land.

"When you think about two major studios releasing their libraries, which is 48 films, it's phenomenal that they would come together," says Gretchen Wayne, the actor's daughter-in-law and the current head of Batjac Productions, the company the Duke formed in 1954. "It's a win-win for any fan of John Wayne."

The movies themselves are often moving, but for Gretchen -- who picked up the family mantle after Michael Wayne, her husband of 45 years, passed away in 2003 -- the stories behind various restoration efforts carry enough weight to justify scripts of their own.

Take "The High and the Mighty," the 1954 film that could've been redubbed "The Low and the Soaked" after a rare Southern California flood almost 20 years ago.

"You walk in the film vault and see water leaking from under the door and it smells musty and mildewy -- and the tin cans were all rusty and wet," Gretchen Wayne recalls. "They literally carried 'The High and the Mighty' out in buckets of water, because once it's wet you have to keep it wet, otherwise the film emulsion will pull apart."

Large swaths of the original print were destroyed. But before the rains, Michael Wayne had the foresight to make safety reels of "Mighty" for color separation purposes. Those four individual color versions were recombined to make up for the missing pieces, "So what you have now is a hybrid between the original film and a digital restoration," she says.

Another film bound to get attention this month is "Hondo" (which, like "The High and the Mighty," "True Grit," "Rio Grande" and "The Quiet Man" will be released in a collector's edition). Even die-hard Wayne fans may not know this, but the 1953 western was originally shot in 3-D, and a restored 3-D version will be shown at the 60th Cannes Film Festival later this month, with Gretchen Wayne in attendance.

"This terrible device called television had come along, and in 1953, the theater owners thought 3-D was something that would get everyone back in the theaters," Gretchen says. "But when they shot 'Hondo,' they had these behemoth movie cameras that were very finicky. You see two lenses in the stills I had from that time, and they were filming in Chihuahua, Mexico -- and with the dust and the heat, the cameras would break down and they had to send for a new one. They were also in this dusty little town -- it was 122 degrees in the dry heat -- and the local children would run around all over the set. They had to work around them."

The 3-D "Hondo" originally ran in three cities (New York, Los Angeles and Houston) before its makers decided to release it for conventional screens only. "But I decided on my own to restore 'Hondo' in 3-D," Wayne says. "I am so excited about this; it looks fabulous. I can't believe it. I would love to release it here theatrically."

Out next week on DVD: "Arthur and the Invisibles," "American Dad!" (Volume 2), "Coach" (Season 2), "Everybody Loves Raymond" (Season 8), "Frasier" (Season 9), "Half Past Dead 2," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Rockford Files" (Season 4), "Seraphim Falls," "Stomp the Yard," "Wings" (Season 4).

- - -

Wayne's world: A guide to the new DVDs

"John Wayne Double Features" (Lionsgate, $14.98 per DVD)

Release date: Tuesday

What's in it: "Sands of Iwo Jima" and "Flying Tigers" ; "Flame of the Barbary Coast" and "Santa Fe Stampede"; "Westward Ho" and "The Fighting Kentuckian"; "The Fighting Seabees" and "Wake of the Red Witch"; "Dark Command" and "A Lady Takes a Chance"; "Dakota" and "In Old California."

What's new: Mostly from the 1940s, these Republic Pictures films have been digitally remastered.

Rope 'em cowpoke? "Sands of Iwo Jima" stands as a Wayne classic; other films here, such as "Westward Ho," typify Wayne's B westerns.

Also worth noting: "John Wayne Collection Vol. 1 and Vol. 2" ($24.98 each) group picks from the double features for two four-film boxes. The sets contain titles from the above list, with each adding a John Ford collector's gem: the magnificent "The Quiet Man" (Vol. 1) and "Rio Grande" (Vol. 2).

"John Wayne Century Collection" (Paramount Home Video, $99.99)

Release date: May 22

What's in it: "The High and the Mighty," "Island in the Sky", "True Grit," "Hondo," "McLintock!," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "The Shootist," "Big Jake," "Donovan's Reef," "In Harm's Way," "Hatari!," "Rio Lobo," "The Sons of Katie Elder," "El Dorado."

What's new: Special collector's editions of five films (including "True Grit," which won Wayne a best actor Oscar) and commentaries by film critic Leonard Maltin.

Rope 'em cowpoke? This $100 set boasts a two-disc set of "Mighty," plus "Hondo" (both with Maltin commentary), John Ford's "Valance" and Wayne's last film, "The Shootist." Paramount also offers two smaller boxes -- the nine-film "Western Collection" ($74.99) and the five-film "Adventure Collection" ($42.99). You can also opt for "True Grit" as a solo ride ($19.99).

"John Wayne Film Collection" (Warner Home Video, $49.92)

What's in it: "Allegheny Uprising," "Big Jim McLain," "Reunion in France," "Trouble Along the Way, " "Tycoon," "Without Reservations."

What's new: All of these films come to DVD for the first time.

Rope 'em cowpoke? If you're a Wayne completist, for sure. Otherwise, pick carefully. One that looks interesting is the comedy-drama "Trouble Along the Way," where Wayne plays a football coach.

John Wayne special editions, single films (Warner Home Video)

What's in it: "Rio Bravo" (two-disc, $20.97; ultimate edition, $39.92) and "The Cowboys" ($19.97).

What's new: "Bravo" features commentary by John Carpenter and Richard Schickel; ultimate edition includes press book and Dell comic book.

Rope 'em cowpoke? "Bravo" is a better bet as a two-disc edition. "Cowboys" is a favorite of critic Rex Reed for Wayne's performance as a tough rancher.

"John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection" (Universal Studios Home Entertainment, $26.98)

Release date: June 12 (tentative)

What's in it: "Reap the Wild Wind," "The Spoilers," "The War Wagon," "Hellfighters," "Rooster Cogburn"

What's new: Appears to be a fairly straightforward re-release of Universal's catalog, but stay tuned.

Rope 'em cowpoke?: "Rooster Cogburn" and "Reap the Wild Wind" rank among Wayne's best.

By Louis R. Carlozo
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published May 8, 2007

• I, for one, am very disappointed in the selection for these sets. The only new films being released are in the 6-film John Wayne Film Collection from Warner Bros. All the rest is just retreads, retreads, and more retreads. How many times do these companies think we are going to buy the exact same movies?

Considering the number of John Wayne movies not available on DVD at all, I think it is inexcusable the way these folks simply re-release and re-release the same limited selection. Why don't they actually open up the vaults and release something new for a change?

All in all, IMO a very shoddy attempt at a tribute.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I, for one, am very disappointed in the selection for these sets. The only new films being released are in the 6-film John Wayne Film Collection from Warner Bros. All the rest is just retreads, retreads, and more retreads. How many times do these companies think we are going to buy the exact same movies?

Considering the number of John Wayne movies not available on DVD at all, I think it is inexcusable the way these folks simply re-release and re-release the same limited selection. Why don't they actually open up the vaults and release something new for a change?

I tend to agree with your opinion.

• Same here. Where are all of his so-called LOST movies. I for one refuse to believe they are lost. Somebody somewhere has to have them.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Re-releasing the same old movies is a pathetic waste... lets take some of those out of the archives and release them. There are several that have never even been released to VHS. Lets see those movies come out.

• Considering the number of John Wayne movies not available on DVD at all, I think it is inexcusable the way these folks simply re-release and re-release the same limited selection. Why don't they actually open up the vaults and release something new for a change?

Warner's is the only company who does that, every year or more they release several new John Wayne titles to DVD. However the people who irritate me are those responsible for the Republic series.

• Well, I guess we can get upset about what hasn't happened. Some folks have done that and I can't blame them. I'm not happy either about what could have been done but wasn't. Fact is something was done in as much as some movies are getting to DVD for the first time. A small plus but I've learned to take them where I can find them.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Okay I just got in the new Lionsgate releases, and uh.. the I have a correction to make, the single movie releases are the exact same ones they released a few years ago! They even have the freaking Artisan logo on them! And the double features.... are two discs released years ago put in a single box. Way to go Lionsgate.

• I just received notification that my pre-order of The John Wayne Film Collection (Without Reservations / Allegheny Uprising / Tycoon / Reunion in France / Big Jim McCain / Trouble Along the Way) has been shipped and I should be getting it on May 23rd. I was also notified that my pre-release order of the Letters from Iwo Jima / Flags of Our Fathers (Five-Disc Commemorative Edition) was also shipped.

I'll definitely be replacing some old DVD's with the new ones for The Duke's collection.

• Ive just received the Paramount DVDs for my birthday they are brill, they contain lots of commentaries from cast and crew and the films???? well they speak for themselves. It's such a great time to be a John Wayne fan what with all the special offers, Paramount has cetainly helped me to build up my collection!

Yeehaa!