Barbara Walters Interview With The Duke?

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 43,360 times. The latest Post () was by JoonDay.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I love it when Duke says; "I am me, just me." When he takes a pot shot at Walters saying God is a She, for Duke always said He when he ever mentioned any reference to God.

But sad to see him so thin, and know that shortly after this interview, he was gone . . . :cry2:.

Mrs. C :angel1:

I agree Mrs. C.

He knew his people, the middle class, the hard workers all loved him then and still now.

• Nice...

Was that the "complete" interview or the same one that has been around that is only part of the interview.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Nice...

Was that the "complete" interview or the same one that has been around that is only part of the interview.

It's not the complete interview. But if you go here, and scroll down a little, you can click on the Barbara Walters interview. It is still not the complete one, but there are definitely some parts that are different - just a little overlap. Worth watching/listening to.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Great for the posts and links. Is there a full version of the Barbara Walters interview available anywhere?

I asked that question a couple years ago. Seems no one really knows. I went as far as searching ABC's website and sent them a email. I never received a response back from them and have since changed my email address. If anyone comes up with the full interview I would love to see it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• The interview is on Barbara Walters Special site but not were you can download it. I need to trick the website to 'want' to let me have it. Hopefully I can get the one from 10 Jan. 1979, at least that is the one there. Duke, Jane Fonda and someone else were interviewed.

ShortGrub :pizza:

• The interview is on Barbara Walters Special site but not were you can download it. I need to trick the website to 'want' to let me have it. Hopefully I can get the one from 10 Jan. 1979, at least that is the one there. Duke, Jane Fonda and someone else were interviewed.

ShortGrub :pizza:

Do you have link to her site?

Thanks

Mike

• The site is the Barbara Walter Special on ABC, the search squirrel finds the file or video in this case. Usually a website has a portal open, but no matter what I try I can't get to it. The file directory if search able usually can be linked too.

• The third person interviewed on the January 10 1979 show was Carroll O'Connor.

I am also proud to say that I was the person who had this actual show listed on the Internet Movie Database--I was flabbergasted that ABC (or anyone else for that matter) had not included this landmark episode of this series as it was Duke's final interview.

His very last appearance was at the Oscars that year, but his last new credit was released the following year, 1980--an new interview done for the Kevin Brownlow mini-series "Hollywood" was the Duke's true last credit, in which he speaks of working in the last days of the silent era.

It is a terrific series--one can still buy it on vhs, but I reckon it will never be released on dvd as due to rights clearances to films and music used in the series (it would now probably cost millions to pay off the rights holders these days, certainly not back in 1980) and as it is such a great series, I'm glad this was the Duke's last credit as it was most fitting.

• Hey Chilibill I dont know if anyone else had problem or if you changed the website it is linked to but the above interview link gave me a cannot display page. I would be interested in seeing the interview if you wouldnt mind reposting it or directing me to it.
    Thanks
    Steve

• Hello Chester--my apologies for the delay in my reply to your request (6 months!?)

The entire series came out on HBO Home Video as a 13 volume vhs set--I just checked Amazon and this set is now very expensive.

I know the entire series was about to be released on dvd around 2003 when plans to release it were dropped very suddenly--when someone asked Kevin Brownlow who made the documentary what happened, it seems that everyone who had clips in the series now wanted to be paid for them.

I remember Duke spoke about his early days in Hollywood and gave a heartfelt tribute to the work of one of his idols, Harry Carey--he spoke of how he got to know Harry and Olive (she was also interviewed for the show) and how he made an indirect tribute to Harry in the final scene from "The Searchers" (which was included in the show....and most likely, Warners would like some reembursement if this show with this scene ever appears again!)

• I have a copy of John Wayne being interviewed by Barbara Walters, and also his appearance on Phil Donahue. :shades_smile: