The Duke: John Wayne's Centennial

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,617 times. The latest Post () was by DakotaSurfer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The notion of organizing a John Wayne film retrospective seems almost as daunting as a Wild Westnera stagecoach trip through Apache territory, given the number of films in which the Duke played a part. Imdb.com credits Wayne with more than 170 films, only 10 of which make the cut for the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center’s “The Duke: John Wayne’s Centennial.”

The usual suspects are, of course, included: John Ford’s Stagecoach and The Searchers (both of which make an appearance on AFI’s “100 Years…100 Movies” list) will receive heavy screen time, and Ford’s Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande are conveniently bundled together in a “Calvary Trilogy Triple Feature” (at 1 p.m. Monday, May 14; $12). The most notable omission would have to be Henry Hathaway’s True Grit, the only film for which Wayne won an Oscar.

But the inclusion of the Museum of Modern Art’s restored 70mm print of Raoul Walsh’s rarely screened 1930 Western The Big Trail—featuring a young and fresh-faced Wayne in his first starring role—is a more than adequate consolation. The series runs through Wednesday, July 4, at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center, 8633 Colesville Road, Silver Spring. $9.25. (301) 495-6700; see Showtimes for this week’s films; see afi.com/silver/new/ for a complete schedule.

By Matthew Borlik - Washingtoncitypaper

• Wow...the 158 minute widescreen version of 'The Big Trail'! I gave up all hope that the original print of the film still existed...I REALLY HOPE FOX WILL EVENTUALLY RELEASE IT TO DVD!!!

• Wow...the 158 minute widescreen version of 'The Big Trail'! I gave up all hope that the original print of the film still existed...I REALLY HOPE FOX WILL EVENTUALLY RELEASE IT TO DVD!!!

You noticed that too. :wink_smile:

I would buy that if it was available!!

• I clicked on that photo, and it popped open a photo gallary, and there was a picture in there of Wayne on stage with Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and some other guy. I was trying to figure out from that picture when it was taken. Based on how Duke looked, along with Bing, I would guess 1973...does anyone know? Bob Hope looked like he did there in that photo for about 20 years, so he is no help. I think Crosby passed away in like 1977, so its before then for sure, but its clearly in the 70s, because Duke is wearing the bracelet he got while filming Green Berets in the late 60s.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• I clicked on that photo, and it popped open a photo gallary, and there was a picture in there of Wayne on stage with Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and some other guy. I was trying to figure out from that picture when it was taken. Based on how Duke looked, along with Bing, I would guess 1973...does anyone know? Bob Hope looked like he did there in that photo for about 20 years, so he is no help. I think Crosby passed away in like 1977, so its before then for sure, but its clearly in the 70s, because Duke is wearing the bracelet he got while filming Green Berets in the late 60s.

Frank Sinatra.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I just found a photo of Bob Hope, Blue Eyes, Bing and Duke with a bunch of photos behind them. If that's the one your talking about it was taken in LA in Oct. 1975 before they taped a two-hour special called Bob Hope's Quarter Century of Comedy at NBC.