Duke's Movie Screen Deaths.

There are 79 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,004 times. The latest Post () was by nordy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• DUKE'S MOVIE SCREEN DEATHS

Although our friend didn't really die,
    he did meet his death in the following:-

1. Central Airport.
    2. Reap The Wild Wind.
    3. The Fighting Seabees.
    4. Wake Of The Red Witch.
    5. Sands Of Iwo Jima
    6. The Alamo.
    7. The Cowboys.
    8. The Shootist.

And don't forget he was already gone,
    in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• May I add another movie to that list as well? Even though we don't know what happened to Duke at the end of The Sea Chase, I guess that it was assumed that he died at the end of that movie.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• from what i read he almost bought it after a cast party of the SEA CHASE when his second wife took a shot at him when he came home late. she said she thought it was a burglar.:ohmy:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Ethan, it just has to be The Shootist. I still have a hard time watching that one. Other than The Shootist, it would be The Cowboys. Bruce Dern would have toted one from me if I could have been there. :stunned:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• His death in The Cowboys is the hardest for me to watch, because he is killed in such a despicable manner. In The Shootist, he is already dying of cancer and decides to go out a different way. That one is sort of back-handed as well, but not out of sheer meanness and ugliness. I mean, he went into that place expecting to be shot to death - he was just too good and shot all of the men he expected would get him.

The Shootist is hard to watch because I know it's Duke's last picture, almost mirroring real life - that is the really sad part.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi

The Shootist was hard to take for many reasons, although as you say he was determined to go out on a high.

The Cowboys was bad because of the way it came about. For many years after Laura Dern was taunted at school by people saying that her father had killed John Wayn.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• The Cowboys was the worst for me. It is funny what you said about Laura Dern,I remember a interview with the girl who played Nellie Olson on Little House on the Prarie where she said people would throw stuff at her in parades and other functions because she was so mean to Laura Engels. It is amazing how TV affects our lives and temperement. I can't stand Bruce Dern in anything...You think the "Cowboys" had something to do with that????

• That has been the case for years concerning the soap operas. A friend of mine whose daughter was in "As the World Turns" said that many of the actors who played dispicable characters would be confronted in public by viewers that took them to task for being such rotten people! The line between reality and fantasy has been blurred for a long time.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I agree with everyone else,
    The Shootist and The Cowboys,
    were sad and memorable scenes.

However, no one as mentioned the Sands Of Iwo Jima.

When watching the film again, we now know what is going to happen,
    but I wonder how many of us were as shocked as myself,
    when Duke was killed by a sniper!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Sands of Iwo Jima was a shocker but this was war and he died a hero and not by the hand of a coward (Cowboys) or the death wish of a dying gunslinger (The Shootist). In Sands of Iwo Jima aside from his squad and an astranged family he was just another marine who was loved by no one and who,loved no one. Sounds kinda calouse,don't it...

• The saddest of Duke´s screen deaths is always "The Shootist", because of Duke´s cancer fiction and reality came very close in the movie. It makes me cry whenever I watch it.

But we forgot one screen death here: John Wayne playing the son of a poor farmer, died in the B-Western movie Wyoming Outlaw (1939), produced by Republic. He was steeling deer because the poor farmers were cheated by politicians and had nothing to eat. The three Mesquiteers tried to help him, but after a prison-break he became an Outlaw and was hunted down and killed.

Unfortunately I only could see a German version of "Wyoming Outlaw" and it was cut down from over 50 minutes to 25 minutes! But for a B-Western, I would say, it was a good movie!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• But we forgot one screen death here: John Wayne playing the son of a poor farmer, died in the B-Western movie Wyoming Outlaw (1939), produced by Republic. He was steeling deer because the poor farmers were cheated by politicians and had nothing to eat. The three Mesquiteers tried to help him, but after a prison-break he became an Outlaw and was hunted down and killed.

Wyoming Outlaw

Sorry, but Duke didn't meet his death in this movie,
    as he was in fact,
    Stony Brooke one of The Three Mesquiteers, who befriends,
    the young farmer Will Parker, who had turned into an outlaw!
    I can only assume, you may have mistaken,
    this as Duke's character?

The complete movie has a runtime, of 56mins,
    so it could be, that much shorter version you watched,
    did not show the full story!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have to watch "Wyoming Outlaw" again! Maybe I am wrong, maybe it was because the movie was shortened... I will have a look at it as soon as possible!

EDIT: Yes, You are right! I watched "Wyoming Outlaw" again. John Wayne IS NOT Will Parker and he is not killed in the movie. He is one of the Misqueteers... Don´t know, why I could not remember, but, maybe I have seen to many of Duke´s movies? - NO, You can´t see to many John Wayne movies, but I have seen these B-movies only once, and so I forgot the details. But I like John Wayne´s B-Western! Most of them where great fun with thrilling stunts, fast and hard riding and quick shooting!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I also say "The Shootist" and "The Cowboys" because he was shot in the back by a "6 fingered busturd" in "The sands of iwo jima" he didn't have to die but he didn't much to live for either

"Fill your hand you son of a b--ch"

• the alamo was probably saddest for me - i was also gutted when colonal bowie got killed, but in the sands of iwo jima, his death came as a complete shock

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke