Duke's Movie Screen Deaths.

There are 79 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,007 times. The latest Post () was by nordy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I think what made the shootist the saddest for me besides the reflection of the Dukes own death was also the role. JB Books was a man who was for lack of better words was out of his time. The world was changing and had left him behind more or less. His charactors represented more than John Waynes death but also the death of a special breed whos time had passed. Sorta like Monte Walsh protrayed the last of the of the old breed of cowboys. I hope what i just said made sense.

• I have a copy of this movie [Central Airport] on DVD, a transfer from video tape. However been a long time since I watched it probably cos JW is not in it very long.

Elly, when you watch it, tell us about this movie. I'd like to hear about it. Is it worth a viewing?

Will do but it may be awhile before I can watch it. All my JW stuff is in UK and I am in Bulgaria now. Hoping to be in UK around Christmas time so perhaps a review in the new year?

Hey, Elly, did you have opportunity to obtain and watch Central Airport? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear more about the film, and Duke's death in it.

Chester :newyear:

• when talking about sad screen deaths, how about "the man who shot liberty valance"
    i haven t yet watched all dukes films but did he play a more tragic figure than this? he lost the girl he loved, he saved the life of the man who took his girl off him and the guy who took his girl off him took all the credit for killing liberty valance. he then went and died and the only 2 people who could have told the truth decided to keep it to themselves

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Badger
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was I think maybe the most tragic role the Duke played. The death probably doesnt strike home as hard as the others because we knew he was dead from the beginning. The others he died in front of us. But all in all I do think that The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was perhaps his most tragic "role". Red River had much tragidy but in the end it all worked out. But in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance he took his tragedy to his grave with him. Others will probably disagree and maybe I forgot one. Sands of Iwo Jima he played a kinda tragic charactor and died as well.
    Steve

• The man who shot liberty valance upset me so much that i ve only watched it the once - even when i look at it in its case i get a sad feeling - and yes....i know i probably need to get out more:cry2:

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• In this Film Duke almost took the Back Seat to His Good Friend Jimmy Stewart, but it was still a Great John Wayne Film, and one that I have Hard A Time Watching Some Times, But it was Duke All The Way !!!
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• The Cowboys has the most moving death scene for me as it was not expected. When I first saw it I expected the boys to bandage Duke up and get him to a ranch. A few shots of Tequila and all would would be well. It was also a while before the actual end of the film.

Iwo Jima comes second, as it is a gripping film and story line, and after so much fighting to see him shot when it is all over was such a shock.

The Shootist is a sad ending that was made worse because it was so closely linked to Duke's own health, and it was to be his last film. It could be said it was a fitting end to an amazing film career, that he did what had to be done and then took his final ride into the sunset. Very poignant.

Bob

• The toughest screen death for me is the cowboy's, when Duke tells Dern to go to hell, then he shoots him in the back, you know he is dying a slow painful death, that one is tough.
    With regards to The Shootist, you knew Duke would die in the picture, I figured it out when he was explaining to Ron Howard that you need that third eye, because it is always some other bastard that gets you.
    The ending from THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA I think started his way to becoming an American icon.
    Just my opionions.
    Andy:teeth_smile:

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"

• Read this thread for the first time today.
    I agree with all the previous posters that Duke's saddest death was The Shootist. They have already articulated the reasons better than I could.
    Duke's meanest death was in The Cowboys. In a response to Mr. Brook's entry a mere five years ago, can you imagine being a young suitor picking up Laura Dern at home for the first time and Dad answers the door? I bet she never missed curfew.
    His most iconic death has to be The Alamo. Rousing, tragic, heroic, inspiring - everything that made him a legend.

We deal in lead, friend.

• How many films (roles) did John Wayne die in?

I know of 4

Sands of Iwo Jima
    Fighting Seabees
    The Shootist
    Reap the Wild Wind

Ben Cartwright SASS
    a good motto to live by
    "WWJWD"
    What would John Wayne Do"

• Well, squirrelled away on page 8 of the Newbie Forum is the complete answer, along with some interesting discussion -

In How Many Movies Did John Wayne Die?

BTW, Ben and ringo, you've got 6 of the 7 (or 8) generally accepted films in which Duke's character dies. Good job!

The reason I say seven OR eight is that in at least one film, we don't actually see him die, but it is assumed that death was the result. I'll let you read the other thread for yourselves, for a more complete picture. :wink:

Chester :newyear:

• Even closer to home is this dedicated 'sticky' thread in the Movie section,
    so for continuity, I have moved your posts across to here.

Here they are:-
    1. Central Airport.
    2. Reap The Wild Wind.
    3. The Fighting Seabees.
    4. Wake Of The Red Witch.
    5. Sands Of Iwo Jima
    6. The Alamo.
    7. The Cowboys.
    8. The Shootist.

And don't forget he was already gone,
    in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.!

Here is the previous discussion on this

March 1st 2003
    bob

In How Many Films Did John Wayne's Character Die?
    In how many films did Wayne's character die? Can you name the films?

March 14th, 2003
    AEC23
    Hey! What about the Sea Chase? They leave it open at the end whether the Duke and Lana Turner survive the explosion. What do you think?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().