Roles Turned down by John Wayne

There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 39,143 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm not sure about that, The Dirty Dozen was an anti-war film at the time of the Vietnam conflict. It would have been radically altered if he had starred in it because he would have objected to many things.

• [quote=ColeThornton, 25 Sept, 1:09 AM]Yes, Marvin was only 42 and perfectly cast. Really it's just as well Duke did turn it down otherwise it might not have been as good.
    [/quote]

[quote=ColeThornton, 25 Sept, 12:50 PM]He made a big mistake turning the film down.[/quote]

You seem to have a little trouble making up your mind, Cole.

• I'm not sure about that, The Dirty Dozen was an anti-war film at the time of the Vietnam conflict. It would have been radically altered if he had starred in it because he would have objected to many things.

I was actually imagining him in the role as is, with out making the changes that he surely would have demanded. I am glad that he never compromised his beliefs.

• You seem to have a little trouble making up your mind, Cole.

I meant the film was a huge success. However, with Wayne (who was approaching his 60th birthday) it would not have had the same impact. Like Kelly's Heroes and Patton, The Dirty Dozen was anti-war and Wayne would not have liked many things about the film.

• I think from what I read Duke would have been willing to do the movie but that other film commitments prevented him. I would say he would have been better than Lee Marvin particularly if he had played it tough.

Another role I could have seen him doing is the Brian Keith part in The Mc Kenzie Break.

Mike

• One film NOT mentioned that I think was "tailor made" for Duke to be in is: Shenandoah - in the role that James Stewart had.

What do you all think about John Wayne in Shenandoah? ;-D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Shenandoah was a huge success because it was an anti-war film as the Vietnam conflict was esculating. Although it had Patrick Wayne in the cast, I'm not sure Duke could have played the father.

• Yes, Stewart had played a pacifist before, in the excellent western Broken Arrow. I can't see Duke in either of those roles.

• I think John Wayne would have been great in the role played by Gene Hackman in Uncommon Valor. The story similar to First Blood II but better of US Vets going back to the Vietnam to rescue American POWs

Mike

• Shenandoah was a huge success because it was an anti-war film as the Vietnam conflict was esculating. Although it had Patrick Wayne in the cast, I'm not sure Duke could have played the father.

I agree that movie was well cast but, I do believe that Duke would havd also been great in the role of the Father. I never looked at this movie as an anti-war movie which it aint. An anti-war movie is one such as platoon, or apacalypse now and thin red line - all of which are way overrated and suck prune pits. In other words, films like those make me want to :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

• Was actually shocked to learn that Larry McMurtry had intended the part of Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove for the Duke.
    There was another thread recently which asked what roles would you have liked to see the Duke portray, and I nominated the part of Woodrow Call. It would have been an ideal role for Duke, as he most likely would have existentially been playing Tom Dunson. (His role from Red River). And with a little tweaking here and there of the script he would have knocked our socks off, It was in my estimation the absolutely one role the Duke was born to play, that came along after his passing. And I would be willing to wager money that he would have walked away with his second oscar by a landslide.
    Woodrow Call was a killer, an even combination of Tom Dunson and Ethan Edwards with a smattering of Tom Doniphon, so you can see why I think he was a natural for the part!!!

Regards
    Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• I agree that movie was well cast but, I do believe that Duke would havd also been great in the role of the Father. I never looked at this movie as an anti-war movie which it aint. An anti-war movie is one such as platoon, or apacalypse now and thin red line - all of which are way overrated and suck prune pits. In other words, films like those make me want to :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

I fail to see how Shenandoah was anything but anti-war. Although I'm not a great fan of Stewart I did feel tears welling in my eyes during his final speech to his wife's grave. It is notable that Stewart only ever made one proper war film, turning down all the others because, as he said, "they're hardly ever like the real thing." His career had declined after "Anatomy of a Murder" in 1959, but "Shenandoah" restored him to the Top 10 Box Office stars for one final time in 1965.

• I fail to see how Shenandoah was anything but anti-war. Although I'm not a great fan of Stewart I did feel tears welling in my eyes during his final speech to his wife's grave. It is notable that Stewart only ever made one proper war film, turning down all the others because, as he said, "they're hardly ever like the real thing." His career had declined after "Anatomy of a Murder" in 1959, but "Shenandoah" restored him to the Top 10 Box Office stars for one final time in 1965.

Cole, I have to disagree with you on Shenandoah and it being an anti-war film. Can you please point out to me what is so anti-war about it? It's nothing like movies like: "Custer of the West" which IS an anti-war,anti-US Govt, movie.

As for Stewart's career having any decline, it sure does NOT show. What's the name of the ""one"" proper war movie? I'm curious. :shades_smile:

• Cole, I have to disagree with you on Shenandoah and it being an anti-war film. Can you please point out to me what is so anti-war about it? It's nothing like movies like: "Custer of the West" which IS an anti-war,anti-US Govt, movie.

As for Stewart's career having any decline, it sure does NOT show. What's the name of the ""one"" proper war movie? I'm curious. :shades_smile:

Shenandoah shows that war is always a bad thing. Stewart's character in the film was very anti-war. Ironically he did support the Vietnam War. His son is killed (although since the part was played by 35-year-old Glenn Corbett it looked more like his younger brother).

Stewart's last big success prior to Shenandoah was Anatomy of a Murder, which although ovberlong and studio bound did give him the chance to play a different character. Vertigo had been a disappointment the year before, although it was not the huge failure many think it was. He made a very bad western wityh John Ford called Two Rode Together, in which he overacted and Richard Widmark was an overage lieutenant, and then there was the commercial failure The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance in which a 53-year-old Stewart was miscast as a young lawyer just out of law school. Subsequent movies like Mr Hobbs Takes a Vacation were generally seen only by his old fans, and a pointless cameo as Wyatt Earp in John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn was generally cut from the film when it was shown.

Stewart's only real war movie was The Mountain Road in 1959. He was offered numerous war films but, since he knew what war was like, he turned them all down.

• I feel the "Dirty Dozen" was a perfect movie for John Wayne to star in, with a strong director and script it would have came at the perfect time in his career when he appeared to be just going through the motions at times.

What movies earlier in his career did he actually turn down?

Regards
    Robbie

• It might have been interesting watching him in a science fiction movie! He would have made a great Patton! Not knocking George, he did a great job with it!