Movie Review for ---> The Sundowners (1960)

There are 27 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,159 times. The latest Post () was by colkid60.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Sundowners (1960)

Directed by Fred Zinnemann

WARNER BROTHERS

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary

In the Australian Outback, the Carmody family--Paddy, Ida and their teenage son Sean--are sheep drovers, always on the move. Ida and Sean want to settle down and buy a farm. Paddy wants to keep moving. A sheep-shearing contest, the birth of a child, drinking, gambling and a race horse will all have a part in the final decision.

Writing credits (in alphabetical order)
    Jon Cleary (novel)
    Isobel Lennart (screenplay)

Full Cast

Deborah Kerr ... Ida Carmody
    Robert Mitchum ... Paddy Carmody
    Peter Ustinov ... Rupert Venneker
    Glynis Johns ... Mrs. Firth
    Dina Merrill ... Jean Halstead
    Chips Rafferty ... Quinlan
    Michael Anderson Jr. ... Sean Carmody
    Lola Brooks ... Liz Brown
    Wylie Watson ... Herb Johnson
    John Meillon ... Bluey Brown
    Ronald Fraser ... Ocker
    Dick Bentley ... Shearer
    Mervyn Johns ... Jack Patchogue, mayor of Cawndilla
    Molly Urquhart ... Mrs. Bateman
    Ewen Solon ... Halstead
    Mercia Barden ... Farm couple
    Peter Carver ... Shearer
    Gerry Duggan ... Shearer
    Max Osbiston ... Farm couple
    Leonard Teale ... Shearer
    Ray Barrett ... (uncredited)
    Jack Cunningham ... Paddy's Drinking Companion No2 (uncredited)
    John Fegan ... (uncredited)
    Lloyd Lamble ... Mr. Bateman (uncredited)
    Bryan Pringle ... PC Thomas (uncredited)
    Colin Tapley ... Palmer (uncredited)
    Alister Williamson ... Shearer (uncredited)

Original Music by

Dimitri Tiomkin

Trivia

* Meryvn Johns replaced an actor who dropped out

* Peter Carver was only cast as Clint the Shearer only after the actor first cast was cast in a different part

* Gerry Duggan who plays Turk was also thought suitable for a minor role of a Drunk.

* Eileen Moore was considered for a key role.

* Gerry Duggan worked 30 days over 8 weeks.

Awards

Academy Award®
    Nominee: Best Picture, Best Actress (Deborah Kerr), Best Supporting Actress (Glynis Johns), Best Director (Fred Zinnemann), Best Adapted Screenplay

Links:

Amazon.com: The Sundowners: Deborah Kerr,Robert Mitchum,Peter Ustinov,Glynis Johns,Dina Merrill,Chips Rafferty,Michael Anderson Jr.,Lola Brooks,Wylie Watson,John Meillon,Ronald Fraser,Dick Bentley,Mervyn Johns,Molly Urquhart,Ewen Solon,Colin Tapley,John Fegan,Peter Carver,Jack Cunningham (II),Mercia Barden,Fred Zinnemann: Movies & TV

http://www.deepdiscount.com/vi…uct.htm?productId=7260836

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D69380

• I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while. In the hope of getting some discussions going about certain great, classic films. So, using Keith's work in the movie review forum as a model, I am starting it off with this classic Robert Mitchum movie.

This is one of Mitch's best efforts, IMHO. It is similar to Hatari in that it really has no plot, just a series of vignettes about the life of a poor Australian family in the outback during the Great Depression. But, like Hatari, it concentrates on the individual characters and their development and weaves a very close, tight knit story. And Mitchum, to my ears, does a great job of putting on an Australian accent. This movie was recently released on DVD this past year here in the US, so it is readily available here. I know we have at least two members here that are from Australia, so I would be particularly interested in what they think of this movie "down under."

And watching Mitch's facial expressions during that sheep shearing contest is pure joy.

Anyone else enjoy this movie?

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Mitchum knew he was miscast here, and his attempt at an accent was pretty bad. Probably his hammiest performnace since Night of the Hunter. The part was originally meant for Gary Cooper, but he made The Naked Edge instead.

• Hi,
    Unfortunatly haven't seen this movie.
    Gary Cooper make Naked Edge not instead but after Sundowners was shot. He can't go to Australia because of poor health this time. Naked Edge with the same leading lady became his last film.
    Regards,
    Senta
    PS Ejgreen I like the whole idea about classical movies.

• Oh I see. The Naked Edge was filmed in London in the autumn of 1960. Cooper had two operations for prostate cancer in April 1960, was The Sundowners filmed then?

• Well, I have met several Australian people in my time, and from what I heard, Mitch did a great job with the accent. Like I said, I'd be interested to hear what the Aussies think of this film.

And thank you, Senta, for your encouragement. If this gets a good positive response with some good discussions going, I think I'll try it some more with reviews of other films.

• Hi

Hi I saw the Sundowners years ago in my Robert Mitchum phase, as well as a good starring cast the supporting cast was equally good, with Peter Ustinov a very good actor, if you get a chance read his book Dear Me which is quite funny and tells among other things how during the war he was David Nivens Batman, and of course Chips Rafferty who during the 40's and 50s was in nearly every British war film and Australian pictures ever made including The Eureka Stockade.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• havent seen the movie in many a year but to be honest while you may have thought that he did a good accent the local dileck wasnt taken into consideration. you can tell where a person comes from by the way they speak. will have to find a copy and have a look and let you know how i feel about it

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I never took time to watch this film will look for a copy. is it out on DVD?

Yes it is . . . Deep Discount has it. Amazon has it, too, for a couple of dollars more.

I would like to see this film. I would think the pairing of Mitchum and Kerr would an interesting one. Thanks, ej, for bringing it to our attention.

Chester :newyear:

• When Mitchum made "Heaven Knows, Mr Allison" in 1956 he thought he would hate Kerr. He was pleasantly surprised to find she was nothing like the prim characters she played!

• when i was a kid my dad took me to see HEAVEN KNOWS MR ALLISON. one of several films (SANDS OF IWO JIMA)that made up my mind to become a marine.:tank:
    PS. thanks for the heads up chester.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Well, now that the troll has been kicked off the site....

Anyone else have any intelligent opinions or discussions to throw out here?

And Bill, yes, this movie is available here in the US, both individually and as part of a "Robert Mitchum Signature Collection" along with Angel Face (1952), Macao (1952), Home From the Hill (1960), The Good Guys and the Bad Guys (1969), and The Yakuza (1974).

• Hi Vera

As a kid you go through phases where you watch certain actors and actresses. My all time favourites were Doris Day Rosemary Clooney and debbie Reynolds.

Actors included Kenneth More, David Niven, Richard Burton, and Glen Ford. among many others' Richard Burton made a diverse amount of pictures from Alexander the Great to his angry young men pictures.

What phases did you go through?

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi EJ, i've never seen this movie before, but always wanted to. I remember my Mother liked it alot but, I never have seen it for one reason or another. I'd sure like to see - adn hear, how Robert Mitchum is as an Aussie. I wonder if we'll have any luck in that TCM might play it soon?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..