YouTube in Your Own Backyard

There are 93 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 51,422 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• When I found the YouTube of the Swanton Pacific Railroad, I noticed several YTs from another attraction near our home, the Roaring Camp Railroad, which then got the Mrs. and me wondering what other local finds there might be on YT.

We found the following YT, which is a mere 3 miles from our home, driving towards our town, and very representative of what we see every day.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Here's the one from Roaring Camp Railroad, which offers a loop ride or one from Felton all the way to Santa Cruz

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Very close to Roaring Camp (walking distance, actually) is the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, and within the park is the Fremont tree, where it is believed Gen. John Fremont camped in the early 1800's. It is a fun and popular local attraction, with a walk through a grove of giant redwood trees. I always tell folks to take their flashlight, for when they go "into" this tree.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

For a more extended walk through the same park . . .

Another local attraction - surfing at Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz, about 10 miles from our home -

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

And no . . . that's NOT Chester on the red surfboard :shades_smile:!

Also in Santa Cruz - the world famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, home of the Giant Dipper roller coaster. While most of the videos we watched didn't really do justice to the ride (it IS more exciting than it seems on the videos), this one was the best of the bunch (at least in our opinion) -

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

We hope you enjoy seeing some of what's in our neck of the woods, so to speak, and we look forward to seeing places of interest in your part of the world.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Here are some form Morgan Hill, Ca. ...

I loved this one from 1938
    [youtube]xumF72tQYTE&feature=related[/youtube]

This on has a few shots of downtown and of the Skate park
    [youtube]6OnzZUSnDeM&feature=related[/youtube]

Here's a short vid of Henry Coe State park
    [youtube]lM7yV9svwMI[/youtube]

I found some others but they where all older and didn't really show to much...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Great idea you have here, Jim. It will be fun to see where all of you hail from. Only one problem...I know you explained it to me on my last youtube post, but I still can't figure out how bring them here. It never turns out for me. :cry2:

So, I will post the links and people can look there, or you can feel free to fix this for me also. Sorry to be a bother.

I live in North East, Maryland.

Here is a sunrise on the North East river near my house. [youtube]Y_3MFD3ZmGw[/youtube]

Here is an original (but no longer used) covered bridge about 2 miles from my house. [youtube]Q9E4WHu92Pk[/youtube]

For you race lovers, here is Cecil County Drag Way near my house. I hear them run all summer. [youtube]ErnaCSQHN3g[/youtube]

And last but not least, for those ship lovers...the historical U.S.S. Constellation, built in the 1850's and still afloat in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. You can still tour this ship. I have been on it a few times over the years. [youtube]sBoaFlw2zos[/youtube]

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I will try to introduce my backyard like Jim did.
    There is a company where i work at in Ginza,Tokyo ,Japan.
    That Ginza is not only Shopping and Night life zone, but,is a bussines area too.
    [youtube]zUHax5gQK2s[/youtube]

From my home, I go to work with an express train called Tsukuba Express to Ginza.
    This is the latest train about 80 miles per hour speed.
    [youtube]6RT8C7VlutI[/youtube]
    and there is a home near large park called Kashiwanoha Park.
    I'm always with my dog on saturday,sunday take a walk around this park.
    [youtube]7T5jExRAbjs[/youtube]

sorry i took a mistake link order. Link No.1 is No.3 and No.3 is No.1

<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• i found something from our nearest large town only 30mins drive from where i live hope this works

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I live in what is probably the least-interesting locale in North America. Just miles and miles and more miles of mesquite trees and cattle pastures. :teeth_smile: It's kinda pretty in the spring when everything greens out and the wildflowers bloom but right now, in the winter, every single bit of vegetation is brown and lifeless.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• smokey,

What a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing a little of your life style. I really enjoyed it.

Cheers :cool: Mike

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• hi mrs c

we live east of town going towards brisbane. the area we live in is a little hilly which makes for good exercise when im walking to pick the little bloke up from school and when its not raining and i walk to work. it is a very lovely place and not as busy as brisbane.

we do have some beautiful days but not lately as we are having quite a few showers, but loving it just wish the lawn wouldnt grow so fast :stunned:

hondo glad you liked it hope to see something from your area one day :wink_smile:

cheers smokey

• and there is a home near large park called Kashiwanoha Park.
    I'm always with my dog on saturday,sunday take a walk around this park.

I was trying to imagine where you live, so I put the name of the park in Google maps, and came up with this. For the life of me, I was unable to capture the picture of the map to post here. Is the map showing the park near your home?

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Sasebo, Japan for a couple of years. The ship I was on would come up to Yokosaka a couple of times a year for maintenance and training. This was from 1968-1970. In 1970, a Navy buddy and I went to the World's Fair in Osaka.

More recently, in 1988 (if you can call that recently :teeth_smile:), while in the Naval Reserve, our diving unit was heading for Guam and Palau for our 2-week annual active duty. Two other reservist buddies of mine and I had our tickets changed to stop in Tokyo on the way there instead of Hawaii. We took the Navy bus from the Tokyo airport down to Yokosaka, to see how the place had fared after twenty years. Things certainly had gotten more expensive. They wanted $6 for a beer! Twenty years earlier, it had been 30 cents!! From Yokosaka, we visited a town about 60 miles away, where one of my buddies had spent some years in the mid-50s as a "Navy brat." Amazingly, the same hobby shop was still in business, and the son of the shop owner, with whom he'd played when was a kid, was now the shop owner himself. Needless to say, we were wined and dined for a day or so and had a great time.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Jim,
    The story of Japan comes out from you and it's surprised.
    I clicked this you had linked,but first appearance of google map is not Kashiwanoha park.
    http://www.pref.chiba.jp/english/whatnew/zyouban/index.html
    This site writen in English is more better for your preference.
    Accurately saying, the place where I live is located in northeast and about 20miles far from Tokyo.
    Once upon a time ,This district was an open range for horses of Samurai.
    and before world war 2 ,was an airport of Japanese army. After war,It was used as Kashiwa Transmitter station of the U.S.Army.(at first,C company,Far East Command Signal Service Battalion,8235th Army Unit. at last Operating Location B,1956th Communications Group,Air Force)
    Recently,this district it had been restored to Japan by The U.S.Army& Air Force became a Kashiwanoha park. it's a interesting story!
    Regarding 1970 the world's Fair in Osaka,Waoh,The Osaka Exposition is missed for me.
    Because it was a Osaka Expo visit that I had make a business trip for the first time as a new employee.
    and Yokosuka,I have the experience of going to the naval review that leave Yokosuka twice. and Sasebo,Though I have not been to Sasebo,It is famous as the town where the naval base.

Regards,
    H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• Not only is this in our own backyard, it is our daughter singing. While the visual quality is decidedly poor (you can hardly see anything), the singing is not (we're hoping another friend who was there has better video).

The event is the "final" for the Beginning Jazz and Popular Solo Voice class at the local community college. It is held in a local restaurant/bar (in the bar, of course). Everybody in the class performs. It is a wonderfully fun event, and generally every act is very good. We had a great time!

Anyway, for your listening pleasure, our daughter Alison, singing "A Crazy Little Thing Called Love" -

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Proudly,

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• That was great, Jim and Sue. Sounded great, just couldn't see anything unless someone snapped a picture. Makes you swell with pride, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing that with us.

Mark

• chester and mrs c

thanks for sharing nice voice the backing was alittle to loud but well done to Alison, she sure knows how to use her pipes the next Americian Idol in the making there. bet your both as proud as punch the apple sure doesnt fall far from the tree thats for sure.

cheers smokey

• chester and Mrs chester
    Your daughter has a talent for music.It's great.
    Alison is a girl like i dream. she is sweet,beautiful,wonderful,perfect
    All American girl.

regards,
    H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• I made reference to the log ride at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in our anniversary thread, and then found this over at YT. This has to be our family's favorite ride at the Boardwalk, bar none. We can ALL go on it, and do, every time we're there (unless it's closed for some reason). It's popular, but moves quickly enough that there is never too long a wait for it.

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

It's fun to look all around on the ride, seeing the San Lorenzo River that goes to the ocean, looking out on the beach, at the other rides . . . it's real pretty at night.

Enjoy!

Chester :newyear:

• Here's a video of Cal Ripken Jr, (Played for the Orioles for 21 years and had 400+ homeruns and 3000+ hits) talking about my hometown of Baltimore. There are clips of the city in the video. In one of the first few clips, he shows The Senator Theater, which is a very old and original big theater that would show older movies. I never saw them show a Duke film, but in the clip from what looks like the 50's or early 60's, shows Sands Of Iwo Jima on the marque. Man, I was too young then to go see it. ARG! Here's the clip. Enjoy!

Mark

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cp9R5XgYol8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cp9R5XgYol8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">[/extendedmedia]

P.S. I guess I still don't know how to insert a clip correctly (despite Sue's ever patient teaching to me) so, you can just click the one you want to see. lol They are the same.

Edited 4 times, last by dukefan1 ().