JWMB sponsors a Walk Of Fame block

There are 77 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 98,444 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I don't know about the rest of this board's posters but I for one am getting tired of these interminable solicitations to buy bricks. Hell, I'd rather just get a direct plea for donations from the birthplace/museum.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Actually, Stumpy, it was at the request of the birthplace museum that we updated the post to reflect the most recent program. This message board will not be collecting funds, any transactions would be between each person and the JW Birthplace.

Let's face it, this place certainly would represent a receptive audience, and has a world-wide reach, and doesn't cost a thing to the birthplace in terms of advertising or mailing costs. There may have been members who didn't participate in our Tribute Block drive for whatever reason, and this is a chance for anyone who wishes, to be involved in the building of the new Museum and Learning Center.

There is no pressure here, we are just passing on the information.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi
    It looks like I could be caught in the middle here as I can see both sides of the arguement.
    I agree with Stumpy that the buying of the Alamo was a magnificent example of like minded people working together with a common cause, and a successful conclusion.
    But now is the time to let it rest until perhaps someone with a camera takes a photograph of the brick in place and gives a fitting amen to it.
    As for the latest appeal while it is not my personal wish to buy a brick coming after the other effort, the fact that Kevin and Chester have raised it is another matter. Perhaps I am reading too much into this perhaps not but I think it is important to pass on the fact that bricks are available for the reason that this is a request from the John Wayne board or whatever they call themselves.
    For various reasons I feel that the lines differences or whatever are getting more and more faint as we all come together to what after all is a common cause. There is room enough in the world for all supporters, fans and officials of John Wayne to come together and the fact that this board has the world wide appeal it has is making a significant difference.
    if this sounds that as a moderator I am appealling for moderation or sitting on the fence then I apologize, but I see this as part of my role, and as a moderator I certainly do not mean to cause offence.
    Regards
    Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi
    It looks like I could be caught in the middle here as I can see both sides of the argument.

I don't think there's any argument here.

I agree with Stumpy that the buying of the Alamo was a magnificent example of like minded people working together with a common cause, and a successful conclusion.

I couldn't agree more with both of you.

But now is the time to let it rest until perhaps someone with a camera takes a photograph of the brick in place and gives a fitting amen to it.
    As for the latest appeal while it is not my personal wish to buy a brick coming after the other effort . . .

Initially, I felt the same way, as we had busted our rears making the Alamo tile happen. But then I realized that many newer members may not have had the opportunity to help out the new museum. We are not specifically asking anyone to buy anything. All we were doing was passing on current information, about the latest opportunity to have a brick on the walkway to the original birthplace, more immediately.

. . . the fact that Kevin and Chester have raised it is another matter. Perhaps I am reading too much into this perhaps not but I think it is important to pass on the fact that bricks are available for the reason that this is a request from the John Wayne board or whatever they call themselves.

The request was from the John Wayne birthplace/museum. We were simply passing on the information.

For various reasons I feel that the lines differences or whatever are getting more and more faint as we all come together to what after all is a common cause. There is room enough in the world for all supporters, fans and officials of John Wayne to come together and the fact that this board has the world wide appeal it has is making a significant difference.
    if this sounds that as a moderator I am appealling for moderation or sitting on the fence then I apologize, but I see this as part of my role, and as a moderator I certainly do not mean to cause offence.

Arthur, you are doing an outstanding job as moderator! I, for one, take no offence. I realize the goal is bigger than all of us, and a worthy one.

One more time - we were simply imparting information. NO pressure was intended, and if it felt that way to anyone, we apologize.

• Like most such institutions, the birthplace/museum will need funding. Funds to hire people who work there in one capacity or another, funds to pay the utility bills, and so on and so forth. (There ain't a doubt in my military mind that somebody could pry money out of the government for such expenses, since they are always ready to spend our money for one pork barrel or another. But IMO that would fly in the face of everything the Duke stood for and that conservatives, like me for instance, find abominable.)

Therefore, I'd like to offer a suggestion. Why don't one of you moderators, or Kevin, contact whoever runs the Winterset operation, and suggest that folks who love and respect the Duke, and who want to support the birthplace museum, contribute money regularly, such as monthly or annually (or even when they can afford it.) And as each person's amount reaches cumulative milestones, such as $250., $500., $1000., then that individual is recognized in some way, such as the titles used on the board, or by issuance of certificates signed by one of the Wayne kids, or by the head honcho at the museum. I think the museum should post a list of contributors online, together with the amounts they've contributed, so we can see who's serious about our cause, and who ain't.

• Hi

That idea has a lot of sense. In the museum that I work for as a volunteer somehing similar is in being, as its a maritime museum the people who give money are called admirals or commodores (to be one of those you have to contribute £100s of 1000s) but the idea has merit.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Stumpy, I've forwarded your suggestions on to the appropriate people - thanks!!

For all - I thought you might appreciate this photo of Bill of PA (left) with Brian Downes (Executive Director of the Birthplace of John Wayne, right), after our donation was made to the new museum.

548707f8dcc7a2.jpg

Bill's been trying to get this picture to me for a couple of weeks, but we've had some computer glitches that seemed almost insurmountable. But thanks to his friend Joe "Zuke" (a board member at the birthplace), we finally got the picture. Thanks to JWMB member Wayne (who also works in an official capacity at the birthplace) for taking the photo.

• Yay, the photo!!

As to the recent post about the museum small block program, it was posted in an effort to help the museum. DukeWayne.com will offer any help it can to the birth place in it efforts to get this project realized.

That post was placed to let members know that the museum had other options for supporting the effort. In the future there maybe advertising placed here to direct people to the museum.

We are not attempting to pressure anyone to buy one, it is simply a post. Feel free to PM me directly with any concerns you may have about this, and I would be happy to work thru them with you.

• We are not attempting to pressure anyone to buy one, it is simply a post. Feel free to PM me directly with any concerns you may have about this, and I would be happy to work thru them with you.

Just so you'll know, Kevin, my remark was not intended as criticism of you personally nor any of the moderators. It was just one of my often blunt and tactless comments about developments on the board.

You've seen enough of my posts to know that I usually say whatever pops into my head, without thinking about how others may view those remarks. If I've offended you or anyone else, I apologize.

• Thanks very much for your understanding comment, Art.

Like they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :wink_smile:

• Thanks very much for your understanding comment, Art.

Like they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :wink_smile:

From one old man to another, I'd have to beg to differ. Look at us, using a computer and doing all sorts of things. I can't tell you how many of my friends never use a computer for anything, and have no desire to do so. Or a few who barely know how to do email and that's the extent of their knowledge.

Let's face it - computers were not in common use 20 years ago, and you and I sit in front of one every day. I'd say you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

• From one old man to another, I'd have to beg to differ. Look at us, using a computer and doing all sorts of things. I can't tell you how many of my friends never use a computer for anything, and have no desire to do so. Or a few who barely know how to do email and that's the extent of their knowledge.

Let's face it - computers were not in common use 20 years ago, and you and I sit in front of one every day. I'd say you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

But in my case, Jim, it's not really a case of new tricks. I've been using a personal computer since around 1984, which is about 24 years. Now I'll admit, I've only been surfing the net since around 1996 but began using computers at least 12 years before that to compose correspondence, organize various household files, etc. And in fact, I learned the basics of computer use in the early Seventies, while assigned to Headquarters, U.S. European Command at Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany.

• For all - I thought you might appreciate this photo of Bill of PA (left) with Brian Downes (Executive Director of the Birthplace of John Wayne, right), after our donation was made to the new museum.

Bill's been trying to get this picture to me for a couple of weeks, but we've had some computer glitches that seemed almost insurmountable. But thanks to his friend Joe "Zuke" (a board member at the birthplace), we finally got the picture. Thanks to JWMB member Wayne (who also works in an official capacity at the birthplace) for taking the photo.

Just thought I'd get this thread back on topic . . . sorry 'bout that, folks.

• Actually, Carolyn took the photo. Bill had asked me to do so, but later told me she had already taken it. That's part of the reason it took awhile to get it sent.

The bricks in the walkway was a new idea completely independent of the dukewayne.com's Alamo granite block. We were just letting members of the board know about this new option, that's all.

Wayne Davis
    Birthplace of John Wayne
    http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org

• [quote='chester7777','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=69520#post69520']Wayne, thanks for the clarification, and thanks to Carolyn for taking the picture! It looks great!

Chester I know it has been been a while but how can you say it looks great with my ugly mug?

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• My purpose here is three-fold. (1) I wanted to bring back Wayne Davis' post from Febuary 2007 about the vision for the planned John Wayne Birthplace Museum and Learning Center, (2) bring to the attention of our newer members what members of this message board have done, together, to help that goal along, by pooling our resources to purchase one of the $1500 bricks on the Walk of Fame, and (3) make those same newer members aware of ways they, too, can be involved in furthering the goal of building the museum and learning center in Winterset, Iowa, to honor John Wayne! I encourage folks to read this thread from the beginning to appreciate the length and breadth of what we did.

I'm proud to be part of this wonderful group of John Wayne fans!