most appeared steam locomotive

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,348 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello all,
    Do you know what is the steam locomotive that has most appeared
    in JW movie?
    I guess, this is the No.650(restored,orijinal was built by Baldwinn in 1889).
    this locomotive belongs Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico (National Railways of Mexico).
    First appearance was in The Sons of Katie Elder(1965) .
    in Rio Lobo,Big Jake, The Train Robberts,and Cahill U.S.Marshal, No650 steam
    loco. was appeared.
    right photo is from The sons of Katie Elder,Left is from Big Jake.

Regards,
    H.sanada

• That was very interesting, H.sanada. I had never thought to look for that. Did you notice this all by yourself, or had you read about it somewhere? Thanks for sharing that info with us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• That was very interesting, H.sanada. I had never thought to look for that. Did you notice this all by yourself, or had you read about it somewhere? Thanks for sharing that info with us.

Mark

Hi dukefan1,
    I'm not a steam locomotive freak.
    But,a Japanese freak wrote a book "Cinema nostalgia for trains"in Japanese.
    I had read this book. i like the steam locomotive.
    This book arranges the form of the main train name and the locomotive
    that appeares in the movies. I nothing but did the new arrangement and the proccessing of data. From this book, many other interesting facts are found.
    i 'll try to write new post next time.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Do you know if the same train appeared in McLintock! ?

Very interesting to me, as I really enjoy trains.

Chester :newyear:

Hello Chester
    I searched V&T Railway.
    http://www.steamtrain.org/vt_films.asp
    In McLintock,Virginia&Truckee's studio train was used.and steam locomotive's name was
    No22 Inyo( Balldwin 1875 made) . She was also used in Red River.

Regards,
    H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• This is a new one for me. I had never thought to check out the locomotive's in Duke's movies. Thanks for posting this H. Sanada. I suppose this is what's called attention to detail, something I have a lack of.:glare:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• The Great Locomotive Chase a Disney classic with Fess Parker, and Jeffery Hunter. Very enjoyable movie.

Here's an amazing coincidence which I can tell you about, thanks to H.sanada's link in this thread about steam locomotives in the movies - the same train used in The Great Locomotive Chase is the same as the one used in McLintock!

Who'da thunk it?

• Here's an amazing coincidence which I can tell you about, thanks to H.sanada's link in the thread about steam locomotives in the movies - the same train used in The Great Locomotive Chase is the same as the one used in McLintock!

Who'da thunk it?

WOW!! That is interesting. Did you know that The Great Locomotive Chase came out in 1956, and McLintock! came out in 1963. Filming locations for GLC was in Georgia, and McLintock! in Arizona. However, it could be. I'll have to pull out my McLintock! and see the train for myself.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• How about this site.
    http://www.nsrm-friends.org/inyo22.html

I am not a train buff. but,may be Duke buff?
    Was't the company V&T famous in the States?
    I discovered this while net surfin' by chance.
    BTW retrieved the meaning of word buff with internet google.
    interesting! the orijin of the word buff is very called a buffalo leather coat
    that N.Y. fireman wore.
    H.sanasa

• BTW retrieved the meaning of word buff with internet google.
    interesting! the orijin of the word buff is very called a buffalo leather coat that N.Y. fireman wore.

Interesting that my use of the word "buff," meaning fan or enthusiast, is last in the list of five definitions!

While I consider myself somewhat of a train buff, I am obviously not in the really serious crowd. I'm sure the V & T is well-known among the most ardent train enthusiasts, but I had not heard of it before.

Thanks for all the links and pictures! I will probably be a little more attentive to the trains in movies now that we've had this discussion.

• For you train buffs, I found this picture in the attic of a house I use to live in. I don't know the year of the picture, but it looks quite old. Kind of a big train, ain't it? Enjoy!

Mark

• Thank you dukefan1,
    graet picture.historical important picture,you have,i think.
    Did you have a railway person in your family?
    BTW,against recent machines break soon,why will old machines last long?
    steam loco,sewing machine,hand gun, old car.......,all are beautiful.
    Regards,
    H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• No, H.sanada. I don't have any railway people in my family. I found the picture in the attic of a house I use to rent. The person I rented the house from didn't want them, so I kept them. There were also a couple of pictures of a Fire Engine company from around 1914. The men were all posed around their vehicles. I love old photos. They tell stories.

I agree with you that they don't make things like they use to. In days of old, poeple didn't have disposable incomes. What they bought needed to last a very long time. Nowadays, things are made on the cheap so you have to replace them more often. That's how companies make their money. Ain't it great! :glare:

Mark