The Alamo (1960)

There are 624 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 520,335 times. The latest Post () was by andre cremers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Ringo -

Her boyfriend (his name escapes me) was sentenced to thirty years in prison (which means he has been a free man for over a decade - unless he got in more trouble).
    Duke was supposed to have testified at the trial here in San Antonio, but I have no specifics.

Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Robbie -

No, that was Veda Ann Borg that played the blind woman (married to the character Jocko). Unless you see the uncut version of "The Alamo," you won't see Ethridge.

Cheers - Jay :)

"Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: Hi Jay, thanks for the info.

Yep, he is out of prison unless like you say, he did get into more trouble while serving his time--which is easy to do. usually you actually serve 1/2 the time you get sentenced. I.e. 10 years is actually only 5 or less. And it is even less than that because one gets double time served for being in a County lock-up before, during and after the trial.

TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo -

Thank you for that info. I think I was aware of prison time being cut in half, but not the double time allowed for being in a county lock-up.

Some more trivia regarding the "Jocko" scene - the old woman in the wagon, part of the family of the blind woman and Jocko - that was Olive Cary, widow of Harry Cary, Sr. - Duke did keep to a family atmosphere on the set.

Cheers - Jay ^^

"Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: Hi jay, no problem. Only I can't say for sure if that is the policy all county jails have or if it is only used when they are full up.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

I knew the information was somewhere. If you read DUKE The Life and Times of John Wayne pages 260-61

The filming was also clouded by a tragic occurence. Two of the many extras who were flown in from Hollywood to take part in the film were a thirty-two year old actor named Chester Harvey Smith and his twenty-seven year old girlfriend an actress known as Le Jeanne Ethridge, who was billed in the film as Le Jeanne Guye. Both were members of the same Hollywood repertory company, and, owing to the overcrowded conditions created by the influx of personel for the filming, both were billeted with several other extras in a bunkhouse in Spofford Texas, a rail junction town of about 250 residents twenty miles south of Brackettville. During the filming Le Jeanne evidently acquitted herself so well in her brief scenes as an extra that she came to the attention of someone in the Batjac organization and her role in the film was expanded, giving her a small part (as an unnamed woman) and a raise in salary from $75 to $350 a week. As a member of the cast, she was also assigned living quarters closer by, in Brackettville.
    Le Jeanne went back to Spofford to get her clothes, and while she was packing to leave the bunkhouse, her boy friend stabbed her to death. The details of the case were never made public, for Smith's preliminary hearing and arraignment were closed. As president of Batjac and Le Jeanne's employer at the time, Duke was subpoenaed to testify briefly at the hearing, but there was no jury trial; Smith pleaded guilty and was sentenced to twenty years in prison.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi -

It occurred to me that two Texas governors have been represented in movies by their siblings.
    The first would be Bill Daniel, brother of Gov. Price Daniel, who played Col. Neill, aide to Sam Houston, in "The Alamo."
    The second would be Merrill Connally, brother of Gov. John Connally, who was most noteable in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" as the Team Leader (the tall white haired gent).
    As far as I can tell, "The Alamo" was the only movie Bill Daniel appeared in. Merrill Connally, on the other hand, was in a few other movies than CEOTTK.

Cheers - Jay :)

"Not hardly!!!"

• Pulling this up from the recent archives -
    I've seen mention here and there that there was some antagonism between JW and Richard Widmark during the making of "The Alamo." Does anyone have any details on what this entailed? Was there some specific incident that caused them to be at odds or was it just a conflict of personalities? If this contention existed, it doesn't seem to have affected the outcome of the movie itself. Just curious.
    Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay

When Richard Widmark was signed for the part of Jim Bowie in The Alamo Wayne had a large sign printed and displayed saying 'Welcome Aboard Dick'. When Widmark saw it he turned to Wayne and said next time remember the name is Richard. Wayne replied I will Richard if there is a next time.

I believe that during the making of the picture Widmark often questioned Wayne's directing ability and on at least one occasion Wayne pinned him to a wall. But say what you like about Widmark he was a professional and gave a professional performance.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur -
    Thank you so much for that info. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember the part about the sign, but not the part about Widmark disparaging JW's directing abilities. Professionalism was a hallmark of the whole production, with none of the discord apparent between the two actors who didn't let their feelings spill out on the screen.
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Jay,

I might add that Richard Widmark kept to himself throughout the production. When he was not needed for a scene he would be in his dressing room and didn't come out until needed. He wasn't very social and seemed snobby.

I think I read that he and Duke had a confrontation on the set about a scene, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was about. Duke at the end of production never again talked to Widmark.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• In addition to Hondos, and the other comments, it would appear that Richard Widmark, didn't like Duke, from that"Welcome aboard Dick" start, and certainly didn't rate him as a director.
    You only have to read "Company of Heroes" by Harry Carey jnr, and I refer to the chapter, Two Rode Together, which was being filmed at the same time as The Alamo premiere, and I quote:-
    "Uncle Jack(Ford) asked me to deliver a message,Off I (Dobe) went to Widmarks cabin.
    Same routine-very gruff,"Who is it?" When I told him it was me(Dobe), and the Old Man(Ford) wanted him, he opened the door.He went into a minor rage. Not his mad rage, just his upset rage.
    "I know what he wants.I know exactly what the old b****** wants!
    Wayne has called him, and he wants me to go to that god***** premiere of The Alamo in San Antonio! Well, s**** it! I'm not going to that god***** terrible movie. It was enough grief working on it!..... D*** I'm not going.
    He ended up going, because Uncle Jack said so,"Dick here has been kind enough to do this for Duke.... as long as he can take you boys (Dobe, Ken Curtiss) with him.....And Dick thank you very much" He(Ford) patted Duke on the shoulder.
    It's ironic, that they all called him DICK!! And it didn't seem a problem!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi All -
    Here's a bit of trivia I had never heard before - The "Ripley's Believe It or Not" piece in the newspaper this morning had this noteworthy information - Davy Crockett had only one book with him as he defended the Alamo - Ben Franklin's Autobiography.
    Not earthshaking information, to be sure. But I toss it out for anyone that is interested.
    Cheers - Jay ;)

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi,
    I just think this film is wonderful, and is in my Top 5, all time favourites.
    I know it has come in for a lot of stick, but who cares,
    I think it's great entertainment, and I can watch it over, and over, again.
    I am lucky because I have the full version, with all the missing bits,
    Intro, Intermission and Exit music, and in 5.1 sounds, it's great.
    I know that Duke and Richard were not bosom friends, after certain comments,
    but they appeared to act well together.
    Laurence Harvey, was a suprise casting, but he also came across well.
    With all the other Ford/Wayne gang, adding their bit,
    I thought the whole thing was brilliant.
    I am only pleased that after all this time, the film has returned a very handsome profit,
    and as vindicated Duke's faith and dream.
    Rating 9/10

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• the alamo

this movie is a pleasure to watch no matter the mistakes, while it may have cost wayne his shirt and then some it has the appeal of a classic. the music is great and fits in with the movie, the uniforms of the mexican army is as correct as they could make them with the knowledge of the time that they had.

this movie makes it into my top list because i just love to watch it, it tells a story of something that all americans should know it tells this story with a lot of latertude but basically it tells some of the truth.

to see a shakesperian actor play the part of travis and pull it of well is a treat.

what else can you say but this movie is great

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• "The Alamo" was Duke's Film Love of His Life, :wub: and He put up all of His Money to try to get it done, and almost went Broke because of the Film ! :fear2:

Because my Great, Great Grandfather was one of The Tennessee Volunteers and was only a few miles from "The Alamo" when it fell, as told to me by my Grandmother many, many times when I was a Small Boy in the 1930s, :) I really enjoyed the Film and it was not too far from the truth. :rolleyes:

Chilibill :cowboy: