Richard Widmark

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 41,727 times. The latest Post () was by BILL OF PA.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

Although Widmark and Duke didn't get on all of the time whilst making the Alamo Richard Widmark brought his own brand of expertise to the production and made many fine films.

RIP Richard

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Rest in Peace Mr. Widmark.

Im going to have a private marathon of his movies when I get The Bedford Incident in from DDDvD.

He sure was great in all the films I saw him in. I don't yet have Kiss of Death but look forward to getting it. Anyway, I plan on watching:

The Halls of Montazuma, The Bedford Incident, The Long Ships, The Frogmen, The Alamo, Alvarez Kelly (again) Judgement At Nuremberg and Madigan.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• One of the reasons JW and Widmark didn't see eye to eye was the fact that Widmark was a "Rabid " supporter of gun control and very anti gun on any level. The fact that he made his living with a gun in his hand in his movies didn't seem to bother him too much though.I enjoyed some of his movies but he always came off as a wanna-be.There was a story I heard years ago that he and JW met at a get together of sorts when Widmark was to play in Kiss of Death. Jw told him if he played that role that he would forever be type cast as a sniveling lunatic. A coward who preyed on the helpless and infirm.Well I never cared for Widmark after seeing that film but thats just my opinion.I have watched his other movies for what they are worth. It is sad to see these old Actors go and with them goes a large part of Hollywood history.Hopefully some of these new and upcoming actors can fill the void left by the true stars of Hollywood...RIP...DICK...

• Two of my favorite Widmark movies were "Down To The Sea In Ships" and "Take The High Ground". I especially liked the second because it also featured a young Karl Malden. Both of them were DIs training Army recruits at a post in El Paso and both were vying for the attention of some good-lookin' gal (Elaine somethin').

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy, I think they're showing one of your faves tonight.

Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately, I don't get the Turner movie channel. The wife and I hardly ever watch TV (except for the occasional local news or weather) so we don't subscribe to cable or satellite.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Take the High Ground was on last night and I finally got to see it all the way through. Usually I never catch it from the beginning. Anyway, Widmark and Malden were great in it as ell as Russ Tamblyn.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I bought Halls of Montezuma Broken lance & Alvarez Kelly, and felt he did well in the Alamoe.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I've enjoyed all Widmark's films, and thought he was especially good in westerns. The Alamo is pretty much my favorite Wayne film, and Widmark as Bowie only added to my enjoyment. The scene where he dismounts and joins Laurence Harvey, when his character could have left, was priceless. You never would have guess he & Duke didn't get along from watching the film. True pros!

• "When casting the film,although Widmark, was not his first choice,
    Duke was initially elated, but this was to soon change.
    "Duke took out an ad, in a trade magazine, that hailed Widmark's acting skills,
    and it said in, big bold letters,

"WELCOME ABOARD DICK" "

From what I've read, that was another bit of urban legend. Richard Widmark went by "Dick" quite often and had no problem with it. Apparently the real problem occured
    well before production began. The story I heard went something like this: both Duke and Richard Widmark were friends of Olive Carey. One nite while Duke was visiting Olive Carey, Widmark stopped by. When Duke saw him, Duke said something derogatory about Widmark's role in Kiss of Death. Richard Widmark never forgot it and when the casting was being done for The Alamo, Duke offered Widmark Travis. Widmark wanted Bowie. Duke said something about how he wanted someone big in the role, and Widmark said "I can play big". Richard Widmark didn't really want to do the film originally, but was between work at that time, and took it grudgingly. They DID seem to keep things professional on the set tho for the most part.

• richard widmark was a class act in his films.he hardly made a bad movie.he was in some of the great westerns like yellow sky,the last wagon,backlash and of course the alamo.
    in the last wagon, he didnt speak until 15 mins into the film.the western showed how good an actor he was especially when he didnt speak for about 15 mins that he had great presents on screen.one of my favourite actors