Maverick (1957-1962)

There are 65 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 63,700 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• My favorite was "Maverick". (That's where I got my screen name from, and not from the over use of the word this past election... I almost changed it because of that!)

James Garner is one my favorite actors, and he was great in that show. I used to watch reruns of it when I was a kid. I used to like how one show would be a straight western, the next show would be a western parody, and the next show might be a murder mystery and have nothing to do with the old west at all. We need this one on DVD!

• John Wayne Fan[/COLOR]: Lucky you to be seeing Maverick on Encore's "Western Channel". Looks like the only way to get copies of these episodes on DVD is with a DVR or burn a DVD from a videotape recording (VCR) as I do on my Mac.
    ZS Maverick: (with sympathies regarding the hi-jacking of your name!)...We found the discontinued DVD (Warner Home Video, 2005) at our public library (free) and burned a copy (for our own use only, of course). The 3 episodes are "Shady Deal at Sunny Acres", "Pappy" and "Gunshy". Amazon.com has some copies also.

Very Best,
    OT Xtras[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYrsDT02OcE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYrsDT02OcE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thank Goodness for the western channel as all of these old westerns are playing now. Maverick,Cheyenne etc. What ever happened to making of great series like these. I wonder have we really advanced, that we don't need a hero in the saddle.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• My favorite was "Maverick". (That's where I got my screen name from, and not from the over use of the word this past election... I almost changed it because of that!)

James Garner is one my favorite actors, and he was great in that show. I used to watch reruns of it when I was a kid. I used to like how one show would be a straight western, the next show would be a western parody, and the next show might be a murder mystery and have nothing to do with the old west at all. We need this one on DVD!

I couldn't agree more. James Garner is one of my all time favorite actors, too. I've seen alot of his movies.

• Garner also co-produced and starred in one of the most under-rated westerns of all time - Duel at Diablo. He plays a cavalry scout who's Indian wife has been murdered. It's not a light role and he plays it with considerable credibility, but I'll always remember him for Bret M and his genial scrounger in Great Escape.
    Wish he had a chance to play in a Wayne film.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Don't forget Jack Kelly, who kept the show going long after Garner left. As much as I like James Garner, Kelly deserves a heap of credit for keeping the show going as long as it did. It's too bad he didn't get a chance to join Bret Maverick (as James Garner wanted), due to it's cancellation. The two of them had tremendous chemistry.

Edited once, last by alamo221: typo ().

• Just so everyone knows, the second season of the original "Maverick", which introduced us to James Garner and Jack Kelly, will be released on DVD in April 2013.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Last night I watched this episode of "Maverick", which was a parody of "Gunsmoke", right down to the fact that it was set in Kansas, had a Marshal and his buddies the doctor, deputy and saloon mistress. The ep was titled "Gun Shy", another satirical reference to "Gunsmoke".

• Most of the Jack Kelly episodes are quite good-remember, he kept the series going well after James Garner left.

• Yeah I know he and Roger Moore took over after Garner's departure but my love of Garner was what attracted me to the series in the first place, I see their's a few episodes with both after this one to introduce Bart so i'll see how I find those but I just don't think i'd have an interest in watching Kelly as a lead.

I agree that Kelly lacked Jim Garner's playful performance but he was quite good as the other brother.

• Maverick Episode 8 hostage, first episode with Jack Kelly, I didn't know what to make of him at first but he was pretty good as the episode went on, definitely lacks some of the star qualities of Garner but I imagine i'll grow to like him with time, doubt i'll watch his individual episodes though.

Have to agree with you there Irish! I watched Maverick religiously as a child. Never could figure out why they added Jack Kelly. Actually made me angry back then because I felt he "messed up" my James Garner shows. Yep, was a big disappointment to me.

I finally found Park Avenue Logger with George O'Brien and Ward Bond. It was the shortest "short" I believe I have seen, but it was an enjoyable few minutes. I had never heard of Mountain Men with Chuck Heston and Brian Keith, but it was pretty true to the actual Mountain Men of old and I dearly love both actors, so that was a great $6 find. Found a 2 disc set of The Guns of Navarone and Coop's "The Pride of the Yankees", story of Lou Gehrig with Babe Ruth playing himself, for $3 each. Enjoyed and recommend them all.

Watched A Guy Named Joe again. Oh, that is a super movie for me. Somehow, the script made the "after death" part undertoned enough so that is wasn't "smaltzy". And Ward was a bit like the "Major Seth Adams" he would later become.......strong yet very tender..........I believe he was beginning to develop that special quiet, soft yet deep, resonant voice that he consoled so many Wagon Train Passengers with. It is now one of my favorite Ward movies. I have two lobby cards from it...........plan to eventually get them all. No one will ever be able to do a good impression of that voice...Wagon Train tried when a couple of Ward's episodes had not been completely finished before his death, the speaking parts. It was an abysmal failure. Nope, that special "consoling" voice he developed will never be duplicated and it became so much a part of him. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE