Rawhide (1959-1966)

There are 68 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,268 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Rawhide for me always suffered from the episodes being too similar and the series having little focus. I'd like to get invested into it as I really like Clint but theres just so much of it that's not very good. Somewhat like Gunsmoke for me.

I watched what was without a doubt one of the stupidest TV episodes, of ANY series, that ever aired. It was about the 5th or 6th episode of "Rawhide" and the title was "Incident on the Edge of Madness" or something like that. Guest stars were Lon Chaney Jr. and Virginia Mayo. I swear, if that had been the first episode of "Rawhide", the series would probably have been canceled immediately following that particular show, and Clint's career would have been nipped in the bud. It was truly terrible.

I have to agree, which is a shame really,
    as we probably all grew up thinking of Rawhide as a great series.
    On reflection however, in later life, the series is looking very poor.
    I mentioned on my previous post, that even though the opening credits,
    shows starring Clint Eastwood, he didn't appear in this episode even for a second.

I will force myself to watch a couple more, and will report back!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• For myself, I enjoy Rawhide quite a bit, moreso for Eric Fleming than Clint. Too bad he couldn't have gone on to a rewarding career than the sad end he experienced.

• I watched what was without a doubt one of the stupidest TV episodes, of ANY series, that ever aired. It was about the 5th or 6th episode of "Rawhide" and the title was "Incident on the Edge of Madness" or something like that. Guest stars were Lon Chaney Jr. and Virginia Mayo. I swear, if that had been the first episode of "Rawhide", the series would probably have been canceled immediately following that particular show, and Clint's career would have been nipped in the bud. It was truly terrible.

Yes Jim, just watched it and yep it's terrible,
    Lon Chaney Jr. overacted, particularly over Marie Windsor!

Clint also overacted, just look his at movements and facial expressions,
    when Gil Favor and Chaney were fighting!

I thought it truly absurd that Gil Favor the tough trail boss,
    would allow for one second, some crackpot make a long speech
    recruiting his men!!

However would you believe, not as silly as the one I watched
    Incident of the Peyote Cup

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I'm beginning to wish I had never ordered the "Rawhide" series. That show has some of the worst writing I've ever seen, for ANY TV series.

According to IMDB, the series lasted for 8 years which, considering how lousy the individual episodes were, amazes me no end.

More and more, I'm beginning to understand why I never liked the series when it first came out.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• Can't believe it - I actually watched an episode of "Rawhide" this evening that wasn't half-bad. Title was "Incident of the Dog Days". Hopefully, it's an example of better days ahead.

• Can't believe it - I actually watched an episode of "Rawhide" this evening that wasn't half-bad. Title was "Incident of the Dog Days". Hopefully, it's an example of better days ahead.

Strangely Jim, I watched a decent one as well, Incident of the Power and the Plow
    I was shocked to see Clint actually in the whole episode,
    and even more amazed to notice it was all about cattle and grazing rights,
    not the sort of thing I expected from anymore episodes!

A much tougher story line, things are looking up!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Can't believe it - I watched an episode this evening that was pretty durned good. The title was "Incident of the Night Horse". Both the story and acting were considerably better than 99.9% of the "Rawhide" episodes I've watched so far.

• Thank goodness I finished Season 1 and have begun watching episodes from Season 2, which so far are considerably better than those from Season 1. Every single one of the performances, regulars as well as guests, have been far better than those in the first season. Not only that but the stories are much better written and more interesting. Maybe I didn't waste my money after all. Just hope I didn't judge too soon.

• One thing that amazes me is the size of that herd of cattle. I swear, sometimes the scenes look as if they're driving 10,000 head across the plains and hills.

• Thanks, Keith.

The writers and/or directors of this show sure don't have much to recommend them. Practically every time I watch an episode, I'm reminded of the fact I never liked it back then and I don't like it now.

• Something strange happened,
    I watched a half decent episode
    The Race
    It actually involved cattle driving, ramrods etc.
    unusual considering the episodes I've watched!

It also starred a much improved Clint Eastwood,
    who was showing signs of the Clint we got to know,
    which is more than I can say for Eric Fleming,
    whose portrayal as Gil Favor, is making me think
    he wasn't that good an actor, but an over actor.
    Sorry Eric RIP

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Practically every time I watch an episode of this show, I'm reminded again of why I didn't like the show originally. Almost all the stories are lousy - it's hard to believe the producers swallowed such crap back then. Why in the devil didn't they hire better writers?

• I hear ya Stumpy, shows like Maverick and Sugarfoot benefitted from having an executive producer with a vision like Roy Huggins who knew what he wanted and kept an eye on things. Rawhide will live forever because of Clint but alot of it is montages of people herding cattle, watching an episode of Maverick and then an episode of Rawhide would seem like two different eras.

• I'm still watching episodes of that lousy Western "Rawhide".

I paid more than a hundred dollars a few weeks ago for what was supposed to be "first four seasons" of this show. In realty, the package only had the first full season and then segments of the next three seasons. Occasionally, I watch an episode that's not half-bad but mostly the episodes stink.

I would have stopped watching it much sooner but didn't want to think that the money had been wasted. lol