Rawhide (1959-1966)

There are 68 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,044 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Rawhide will live forever because of Clint

Very true, ID. Old Rowdy has turned out to be pretty talented in features other than "Rawhide".

a lot of it is montages of people herding cattle

Believe it or not, I prefer to watch the drive itself rather than some of the other plot lines. Many of the stories are unbearably stupid.

watching an episode of Maverick and then an episode of Rawhide would seem like two different eras.

Another truthful observation. The writers of "Maverick" could at least conjure up a believable story.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Believe it or not, I prefer to watch the drive itself rather than some of the other plot lines. Many of the stories are unbearably stupid.

I couldn't agree more, I've just watched the episode
    Incident of the Last Chance

It is the stupid sub plots that are so silly,
    ... newly wed couple who couldn't act to save themselves and Indians that spoke with stupid accents
    and were just like white men dressed in drag, I ask you!!

As if the so called writers ran out of ideas writing about cattle,
    oh there were some in this episode now and again

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Couldn't believe it - this afternoon I watched an episode which featured one of Duke's oldest saddle pals. He played a stage driver.

Mushy (Wishbone's helper) had center stage in the episode. His mother had tracked her little boy down and wanted to take him home with her. Naturally, she didn't succeed.

The episode wasn't great but was considerably better than most others.

• Haha maybe it's time you guys give up on Rawhide, I tried it a few years ago on TCM and once you get over seeing a young Clint there's very little left to stay for. Amuses me seeing consistently bad reviews for them from you both though!

I may be wrong but I'm beginning to think that "Rawhide" was probably the beginning of the broadcast movement to indoctrinate people with political correctness. I just about stopped watching television in the Seventies because practically every single show we watched was trying to brainwash us into adopting the Hollywood (read liberal) point of view. "Rawhide" had not yet become so explicitly left-wing and politically correct but hints were there. Nowadays it's almost impossible to find a show that's NOT politically correct.

• Haha maybe it's time you guys give up on Rawhide, I tried it a few years ago on TCM and once you get over seeing a young Clint there's very little left to stay for. Amuses me seeing consistently bad reviews for them from you both though!

Ha ha, it's fun Jim and me suffering you think
    glad you're enjoying our woes!!
    However, forever a glutton for more punishment,
    I promise I am going to watch one more and that's it!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Ha ha, it's fun Jim and me suffering you think
    glad you're enjoying our woes!!
    However, forever a glutton for more punishment,
    I promise I am going to watch one more and that's it!!

And I'm not gonna waste the 100 dollars plus I spent for those DVDs. :wink:

• Well that's it, I've watched my final episode of this awful series.

Thankfully finishing on a high note
    Incident of the Tumbleweed
    was more like it, with for a change the sub-plot
    integrating well with the cattle drive.

Plenty of action and lots of steers in this one,
    pity we can't say that for the rest of the series!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• My gosh, I can't believe it. This afternoon I watched another episode of "Rawhide", a series that many of us agree was one of the worst TV Westerns ever made. And who should appear in it as the guest lead but Barbara Stanwyck, a lady who I personally thought was a wonderful actress. I couldn't believe it, seeing Ms. Stanwyck in this lousy series. The name of the episode was "The Captain's Wife" and it was in the 4th season of the series.

• There were many great guest stars on the show, in addition to Stanwyck and Chaney, there was Broderick Crawford, Claude Rains, Dan Duryea, Brian Donlevy, Margaret O’Brien, Victor Jory, Buddy Ebsen, Bob Steele, Julie London, Tom Conway, Debra Paget, Robert Culp, Don Barry, Ralph Bellamy, Audrey Totter, and others. I still enjoy the series a geat deal myself.

• There were many great guest stars on the show, in addition to Stanwyck and Chaney, there was Broderick Crawford, Claude Rains, Dan Duryea, Brian Donlevy, Margaret O’Brien, Victor Jory, Buddy Ebsen, Bob Steele, Julie London, Tom Conway, Debra Paget, Robert Culp, Don Barry, Ralph Bellamy, Audrey Totter, and others. I still enjoy the series a geat deal myself.

Yes indeed and I bet if many of them looked back,
    they may wish they hadn't ha ha

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• the best best thing about this series was the song and the guest star's.the series is so lame and slow and down right stupid.

• I too loved the theme song, Dimitri Tiomkin did some fantastic scores.

yes irish duke he's one of the best.he's music for the alamo is one of he's best.he was suppose to do how the west was won but he was'nt able to do it because he got a sore eye and alfred newman and ken darby got to do the music