Rawhide (1959-1966)

There are 68 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,040 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Rawhide: Season 4, Episode 4
    Judgment at Hondo Seco

Another reasonable story, as it appears, Season 4, had stronger stories, and the episodes longer.

However, this was typical of many of the Rawhide episodes,
    in which the sub-plot is bigger then the whole.

Although the plot centers around one of the drovers,
    Clint and Sheb, also in the mix, just about,
    one gets the feeling that the writers/producers
    just used the Rawhide series, to provide a vehicle
    for many miscellaneous stories,
    non of which were remotely connected to a cattle drive!!

A point, I feel sure [MENTION=305]Stumpy[/MENTION] and I will discuss again and again

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• My gosh, I can't believe it. This afternoon I watched another episode of "Rawhide", a series that many of us agree was one of the worst TV Westerns ever made. And who should appear in it as the guest lead but Barbara Stanwyck, a lady who I personally thought was a wonderful actress. I couldn't believe it, seeing Ms. Stanwyck in this lousy series. The name of the episode was "The Captain's Wife" and it was in the 4th season of the series.

Rawhide: Season 4, Episode 14
    The Captain's Wife (12 Jan. 1962)

This one featuring Barbara Stanwyck,
    in another episode with a sub-plot,
    that has nothing to do with the drive.

At least this one includes Gil Favor,
    and some other unknown drovers.
    However Clint and Sheb, no where to be seen,
    even though on the opening credits!
    There were some cattle, briefly at the beginning,
    which is unusual for many Rawhide episodes!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Rawhide: Season 4, Episode 5
    The Lost Tribe (27 Oct. 1961)

Well would you believe it, this episode
    carried a sub-plot that not only involved the cattle,
    but also starred Clint & Sheb!!

The daft bit, was that without anyone ever knowing before,
    Sheb was raised by Cherokee Indians, and what a coincidence,
    the same renegade lot, that had just rustled the cattle.

Hold on, it gets dafter, Sheb was even married to one of the squaws,
    and because she was deceased, BY Cherokee custom,
    her sister was now his wife!!

To make it worse Sonya Wilde,who played White Deer the sister,
    was the worst actress to utter an Indian accent!!

However it wasn't a bad episode and I enjoyed it

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I'm glad you're enjoying some of the eps, Keith.

I bought about four seasons, so as to see if my original poor opinion of the series was justified. And sho 'nuff, old buddy, it was. :wink::wink:

All my life (75 years, so far), Western movies and TV series have been my favorite form of entertainment. But I remember when "Rawhide" became a new TV show, I stopped watching after about the first season because I thought the series stunk. And 45-50 years later, I haven't changed my mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, I'm a mere child of 64 years of age and I have to agree with Stumpy.
    I recall most of the glut of western shows from the '50s and Rawhide was never a favorite. I'm going to make some enemies here, but I also thought Gunsmoke stunk to high heaven. I never even thought of it as a western, but more of a soap opera. Watching the reruns has only enforced that opinion.
    Have Gun Will Travel, Wanted: Dead or Alive, The Rebel, Maverick, Yancey Derringer, The Dakotas and a much later series called The Outcasts were my favorites.
    Probably forgot a few, but that's a perk at my age.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I got a 6 season dvd set of this show for Christmas and found the show is way more hit than miss and i absoletely love the show I also think that one of the best episodes ive seen was the one about where Mushy'smother came to bring him home. Also loved the ep where they found a band of Confederates who didnt know the war was over. Also-I think it was a season 2 ep where two of teh drrovers were pressed into jury duty as members of the jury for Nueces county--which was funny looking as the County was apparantly was filled with loads of hills back in the 1800s-not like now. :-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I got a 6 season dvd set of this show for Christmas and found the show is way more hit than miss and i absoletely love the show I also think that one of the best episodes ive seen was the one about where Mushy'smother came to bring him home. Also loved the ep where they found a band of Confederates who didnt know the war was over. Also-I think it was a season 2 ep where two of teh drrovers were pressed into jury duty as members of the jury for Nueces county--which was funny looking as the County was apparantly was filled with loads of hills back in the 1800s-not like now. :-)) 8|

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..