The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

There are 19 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 42,544 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES

DIRECTED BY CLINT EASTWOOD
    PRODUCED BY ROBERT DALEY/ JAMES FARGO/ JOHN G. WILSON
    MALPASO/ WARNER BROTHERS

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Josey Wales makes his way west after the Civil War, determined to live a useful and helpful life. He joins up with a group of settlers who need the protection that a man as tough and experienced as he is can provide. Unfortunately, the past has a way of catching up with you, and Josey is a wanted man.
    Written by Murray Chapman

Full Cast
    Clint Eastwood ... Josey Wales
    Chief Dan George ... Lone Watie
    Sondra Locke ... Laura Lee
    Bill McKinney ... Terrill
    John Vernon ... Fletcher
    Paula Trueman ... Grandma Sarah
    Sam Bottoms ... Jamie
    Geraldine Keams ... Little Moonlight
    Woodrow Parfrey ... Carpetbagger
    Joyce Jameson ... Rose
    Sheb Wooley ... Travis Cobb
    Royal Dano ... Ten Spot
    Matt Clark ... Kelly (as Matt Clarke)
    John Verros ... Chato
    Will Sampson ... Ten Bears
    William O'Connell ... Sim Carstairs
    John Quade ... Comanchero Leader
    Frank Schofield ... Senator Lane
    Buck Kartalian ... Shopkeeper
    Len Lesser ... Abe
    Doug McGrath ... Lige
    John Russell ... Bloody Bill Anderson
    Charles Tyner ... Zukie Limmer
    Bruce M. Fischer ... Yoke
    John Mitchum ... Al
    John Davis Chandler ... First Bounty Hunter (as John Chandler)
    Tom Roy Lowe ... Second Bounty Hunter
    Clay Tanner ... First Texas Ranger
    Robert F. Hoy ... Second Texas Ranger (as Bob Hoy)
    Madeleine Taylor Holmes ... Grannie Hawkins (as Madeline T. Holmes)
    Erik Holland ... Union Army Sergeant
    Cissy Wellman ... Josey's Wife
    Faye Hamblin ... Grandpa
    Danny Green ... Lemuel
    Kyle Eastwood ... Josey's son (uncredited)
    Richard Farnsworth ... Comanchero (uncredited)

Original Music
    Jerry Fielding

Cinematography
    Bruce Surtees

Writing credits
    Forrest Carter (book "Gone to Texas")
    Philip Kaufman (screenplay) (as Phil Kaufman) and
    Sonia Chernus (screenplay)

Trivia
    * In the novel, Lone Watie is identified as the nephew of General Stand Watie, a Cherokee from Indian Territory, who was the last Confederate general to surrender at the end of the U.S. Civil War.

* Philip Kaufman started to direct the film but was replaced by Clint Eastwood, a controversial move which prompted the DGA to institute a ban on any current cast or crew member replacing the director on a film - a rule which has ever since been titled the "Eastwood rule."

* There were three waves of release: June 23, 1976 in Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC; June 30, 1976 in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Denver; July 14, 1976 in Minneapolis, Los Angeles.

* In all his Westerns, Clint Eastwood has never killed any Indians. Josey Wales' friendship with various Indians underlines this fact.

* Reportedly, country singer George Strait's favorite movie.

* Referred to by Johnny Carson as the greatest western of all time.

* Josey's two main handguns are Colt Walker 1847 Dragoon revolvers. They each hold six .44 caliber ball shots. The weapon features larger cylinder chambers to allow more powder to be placed in the gun, making them more powerful (thus, why it was so popular 20 years later). The Walker Colt's one drawback was the weakness in the cylinder walls. If one broke, the whole weapon would blow up. This is referenced in Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven (1992).

* Because of Chief Dan George's age, he would have trouble remembering his lines so during takes, Clint Eastwood would begin to mouth his lines without realizing it and had to be told to stop because it would ruin the take.

Goofs
    * Crew or equipment visible: During the rape scene, crew members can be seen through the legs of a bandit.

* Errors in geography: The river flows in the wrong direction in the ferry scene. After crossing the river while traveling generally northeast to southwest, toward the Indian Nations, the river should flow from left to right.

* Anachronisms: The use of metallic cartridge conversion revolvers that did not exist until well after the war. The pistol that Wales retrieved from the ruins of his house was not offered until 1871. Other conversion guns also pop up throughout the film.

* Continuity: During his showdown with the Comancheros, the sun is behind everyone, no matter which way they're facing.

* Anachronisms: Towards the end of the film, Josey and Laura Lee exchange jokes about their respective home states. Laura Lee tells a gag about Missouri being the "show-me" state, a nickname which most people agree only dates back to the 1890s, whereas this film is set in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, in the 1860s.

* Audio/visual unsynchronized: When Laura Lee plays the concertina, the sound doesn't match what she's playing.

* Revealing mistakes: After the bounty hunters are killed in the bush and Josey spits on his forehead his eyes are closed, then it shows him again as they ride away and his eyes are open.

* Anachronisms: The hymn "In the Sweet By and By" wasn't published until 1867.

* Crew or equipment visible: Near the end of the film when Wales is fighting the posse outside the house, you can see the legs of a C-stand when a man from Terrill's gang falls off a horse.

* Miscellaneous: The cart has a square hole that the crew uses to drive the cart instead of Granny and the girl. It is obviously driving the cart not the women. It also disappears and reappears.

* Factual errors: A Gatling gun holds either 20 or 50 rounds, but Josey fires way more, not to mention the soldiers before him.

* Continuity: At the opening scene, when Josey is shooting his Colt 1862 cartridge pistol, he never reloads. This is either a "Hollywood gun mistake," or confusing cuts.

* Continuity: When the Redleg leader is shooting at the Gatling gun, he fires 4 shots. When he runs over to the Gatlin gun tent and points his gun in it, you can see all six lead balls sticking out of the front of the cylinder.

Filming Locations
    Glen Canyon, Utah, USA
    Kanab Movie Ranch - 5001 Angel Canyon Road, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Kanab, Utah, USA
    Lake Powell, Arizona, USA
    Mescal, Arizona, USA
    Old Tucson - 201 S. Kinney Road, Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Oroville, California, USA
    Paria, Utah, USA

Watch this Trailer

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Outlaw Josey Wales is a 1976 American revisionist Western DeLuxe Color and Panavision
    film set during and after the American Civil War.
    It was directed by and starred Clint Eastwood (as the eponymous Josey Wales),
    with Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke, Sam Bottoms, and Geraldine Keams.

The film was adapted by Sonia Chernus and Philip Kaufman
    from author Forrest Carter's 1973 novel The Rebel Outlaw: Josey Wales
    (republished, as shown in the movie's opening credits, as Gone to Texas).
    The film was a commercial success, earning $31.8 M against a $3.7 M budget.

In 1996, the film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry
    of the Library of Congress for being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Josey Wales was portrayed by Michael Parks in the film's 1986 sequel, The Return of Josey Wales.

I think this is a great western, and many think,
    this is one of the best westerns ever.
    Clint, at his best as the gritty Josey Wales,
    but the man who never killed any Indians!
    A critically acclaimed movie, and certainly outside
    of our beloved films by Duke,
    a western that is surely one of the best!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I love this movie also. It is my favorite Eastwood film. I won't go as far as to say it's the best western, but it is up there. It's funny, but reading all the goofs or errors stated above...I never caught any of them. I guess I am just to entralled in a movie to get too critical. My favorite line in the whole movie is when Jose tells the bounty hunter, "Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."

It's a film I have in my collection and have watched it at least 8 times. One of those movies you just don't tire of.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• This is one of my favorite westerns also. "The Outlaw Josie Wales" is a story of epic .proportions spanning several years. Clint Eastwood got all the elements of the story in the proper fit and made this into one of the most enduring westerns ever.
    I loved Chief Dan George in his role as Lone Watie. His dialogue made him a gem of a character.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I have never cared for this movie and I certainly don't believe its due all the accolades that it has received.

Admittedly there are a number of decent scenes and the storyline and direction are reasonable, however its a little overblown and rather tedious in several places.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I always loved this movie. I recently saw a restored version of it adding scenes to when his family was killed-which I had never seen before. There were other scenes added but, I don't recall what they were?

Anyway, Clint really looked like a cool customer and was the perfect man for playing Josey Wales. The fight scenes were all very nice and I loved the theme musick.

IF you closely watch some of the footage in the battle scenes, you will see footage taken from a JOHN WAYNE movie as well as from an AUDIE MURPHY movie. I will not keep anyone in suspense on which Audie Murphy movie they "borroed" some battle footage from. When you see Yankee Infantrymen walking and then charging, that footage was taken from: The Red Badge of Courage. The man you see carrying the Yankee Colors, and whose head is bandaged-is Audie Murphy.

Now that I thought about it, i'll not keep it a secret from you on the footage taken from a great Duke movie. The footage you see in The Outlaw Josey Wales that is borroed footage-is some of the footage you see of the battle that takes place at the very beginning of the John Wayne movie: The Undefeated. A hint of what to look for is when you see some Confederate Gentlemen, who are behing a split-rail fence who are being shelled by Yank cannon. You see a few explosions including one that shows a Southern Gent who was flipped through the air, as well as another explosion that shows part of a leafless tree that was hit be a cannonball and shows a limb flip off the tree.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Keith, glad to help when I can ;-)) I didn't "catch" the borrowed scenes from those two excellent Westerns until by luck or chance, that I was bored to tears one evening and decided to watch three movies in a sitting. I watched The Red Badge of Courage first, then Undefeated, and finally The Outlaw Josey Wales.

As I watched TOJW, I saw some very familiar scenes and then instantly realized where they had come from. After TOJW was over, I placed TRBoC and Dukes movie in until I hit those scenes and wallah; I was correct.

• We haven't watched this movie in quite some time, but remember having liked it then.
    Looks like we'll be building up our Clint collection

Chester :newyear:

It's more than worth buying. I also love the movies theme music.

• I love the Outlaw Josey Wales. I read the book gone to texas and the movie was very parallel. In fact i didnt even know that the movie was based on the book until i read it and it dawned on me real quick that this was one and the same. I highly recommend this book to readers out there.

• Fantastic downbeat western, I love it!

It's my favorite of Eastwood's movies. First saw it in the theater as a pre-game movie for my high school football team. Saw The Shootist the following week. I have always found it funny that Bill McKinney played Red Legs Terrell in Josie Wales and Cobb in Shootist and they were playing next to each other in the "Fourplex" in my home town. So McKinney was being killed almost simultaneously by the Duke and Clint in Homewood, Alabama in September 1976.