The Lone Ranger (1949-1957)

There are 21 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,406 times. The latest Post () was by jvcb8.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE LONE RANGER

APEX/ ABC TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    The Lone ranger was a surviving Texas Ranger,
    who was saved from death, by an Indian, Tonto.
    Afterwards, they ride through the West, doing good.
    with their trusty four legged friends, Silver and Scout,
    apparently living off the income of a silver mine!
    by ethanedwards

Series Cast
    Jay Silverheels ... Tonto (220 episodes, 1949-1957)
    Clayton Moore ... The Lone Ranger / ... (169 episodes, 1949-1957)
    John Hart ... John Reid / ... (54 episodes, 1950-1953)
    Lane Bradford ... Duke Wade / ... (15 episodes, 1949-1957)
    Chuck Courtney ... Dan Reid (Lone Ranger's nephew) (14 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Gerald Mohr ... Episode Narrator / ... (12 episodes, 1949)
    House Peters Jr. ... Bat Anders / ... (12 episodes, 1950-1957)
    Other notable stars, were:-

Hank Worden,Sheb Wooley,Stacy Keach Sr., DeForest Kelley, Michael Ansara, Jack Elam.

Series Directed
    Hollingsworth Morse (50 episodes, 1950-1953)
    Oscar Rudolph (33 episodes, 1954-1957)
    George B. Seitz Jr. (30 episodes, 1949-1950)
    and many more...

Series Produced by
    Jack Chertok .... producer (182 episodes, 1949-1955)
    Harry Poppe .... associate producer (182 episodes, 1949-1955)
    Sherman A. Harris .... producer (39 episodes, 1956-1957
    and many more...

Series Writing Credits
    Fran Striker (81 episodes, 1949-1956)
    Tom Seller (37 episodes, 1949-1957)
    and many more...

Trivia
    Soundtrack: Finale from 'William Tell Overture'

* Although the program was broadcast for 8 seasons, there were only 5 seasons with new episodes: 1949-1950, 1950-51, 1952-53, 1954-55, 1956-57.

* The "Hi-Yo Silver!" shout at the beginning of each episode is a recording of 'Earle W. Graser' , who played the Lone Ranger on radio from 1933-1941.

* The Lone Ranger's young nephew, Dan Reid, who appeared occasionally on the TV series, was the father of Britt Reid, The Green Hornet (both characters were created for radio by George W. Trendle).

* Premiered on ABC on 15 September 1949 (Thursdays 7:30-8:00) Last telecast: 12 September 1957. The Lone Ranger was the only ABC program to rank in top 15 when the A. C. Neilson Company began compiling national ratings for network programs. In 1950, Lone Ranger ranked #7 with a 41.2% share. Show was on ABC throughout its run. Reruns began on CBS 0n Saturday Mornings in 1953 and continued to September 1960 and then on NBC for another four years. ABC showed reruns of it in late afternoons from 1958 to 1961.

* Tonto's horse is called Scout.

Memorable quotes
    [repeated line]
    The Lone Ranger: Hi-ho, Silver, away.
    [first lines for each episode]
    Narrator: The Lone Ranger!
    [gunshots are fired]
    The Lone Ranger: Hi-yo, Silver!
    Narrator: A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi-yo Silver" - the Lone Ranger!
    The Lone Ranger: Hi-yo, Silver, away!
    Narrator: With his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early West. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. The Lone Ranger rides again!
    [earliest episodes]
    The Lone Ranger: Only you, Tonto, know I'm alive. To the world, I'll buried here beside my brother and my friends... forever.
    Tonto: You are alone now. Last man. You are lone ranger.
    The Lone Ranger: Yes, Tonto, I am... the Lone Ranger.
    [repeated line]
    Tonto: Um, that right, Kemosabe.

Filming locations
    Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park - 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
    (episode 1.1 - site of Texas Ranger ambush)
    Columbia State Historic Park - 22708 Broadway, Columbia, California, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    General Service Studios - 1040 N. Las Palmas, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Jack Ingram Ranch - 22255 Mulholland Drive, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Kanab Movie Ranch - 5001 Angel Canyon Road, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Kanab, Utah, USA
    Lone Pine, California, USA
    Melody Ranch - 24715 Oak Creek Avenue, Newhall, California, USA
    Spahn Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA

Watch a Full Movie:-

The Lone Ranger

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 14 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Lone Ranger is an American western television series starring
    Clayton Moore (John Hart from 1952 to 1954) and Jay Silverheels as Tonto.
    The live-action series initially featured Gerald Mohr as the episode narrator.
    Fred Foy served as both narrator and announcer of the radio series from 1948 to its finish
    and became announcer of the television version when story narration was dropped there.
    This was by far the highest-rated television program on the ABC network in the early 1950s and its first true "hit".

A great series to remember as a child!!
    Who will ever forget these immortal words.

The Lone Ranger: Hi-yo, Silver!
    A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi-yo Silver" - the Lone Ranger!

Hi-yo, Silver, away!

Um, that right, Kemosabe.

Well, I guess you just can't beat that Duke!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• There were a host of snippets taken from classical music composers such as Giaccomo Rossini (the most famous with the fanfare from "William Tell"), Franz Liszt (from "Les Preludes"), Maria von Weber ("Die Freischutz") and a bunch of other composers. I understand there was a book published that enumerated all the music used which was found in both the radio show and TV series of "The Lone Ranger". I've never been able to locate it, however.:glare:
    I think my love for classical music came from the radio series because of all these snippets. Since the music was faded out before finishing, I naturally wanted to know where it went from that point on. When I think about it, I find "The Lone Ranger" cost me a lot of money buying LPs, cassettes and CDs over the years.:laugh:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I love this series as well. I got to see it played after The Cisco Kid played when it aired either on Saturday or Sunday mornings. I always liked Jay Silverheels voice and it's a pleasure to find him in so many movies and Tv series. Jay was in at least one Daniel Boone episode and was fantastic.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Iverson Movie Ranch

The Lone Ranger Rock

The Lone Ranger Rock, as it is now, just to the
    centre, note the camera mount in the foreground.
    (Click on the two Photos above for enlargements)

Quote from dukedood

Down the road is what's left of the Iverson Ranch--where the famed Lone Ranger rock can still be seen [from the show's opening theme sequence]. Since I was a kid I wondered where that rock was. I was on the East coast then...who knew yrs later it'd be a few miles from my house?

Kurt Hathaway
    film freak
    Western nut

Close ups and many more photographs here:-
    Iverson Movie Ranch-Location
    Information and photographs from
    Gabby Hayes Homepage

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• “The Lone Ranger” from 1956, and “The Lone Ranger and The Lost City of Gold” from 1958, both starring Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.

I saw the new “Lone Ranger” movie, which I thought was great. I had a great time watching that movie. It was one fun ride, and one of my new favorite movies. But as much as I like it, it’s just not THE Lone Ranger! So this weekend, I got out my old DVD’s of these two movies, and enjoyed them once again!

For what are basically B Movies, these films are really good! They’re not just extended episodes of the TV series, but actually well written, enjoyable films. I especially like “The Lost City of Gold”, because Jay Silverheels had a little more to do as Tonto than he did in the old series.

(Side note: I got to meet Clayton Moore back in 1986 when hecame to my hometown, in character as “The Lone Ranger” for a Texas Sesquicentennial Celebration. He was a great guy and real gentleman)

• Very cool ZS. Imagine Clayton will always hold a special place in your heart. I know just how you feel. He is one I missed, but would have LOVED to have met him, AND Jay. Thanks for sharing that with us. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE