Cheyenne (1955-1963)

There are 27 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 23,373 times. The latest Post () was by Big Iron.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• CHEYENNE

WARNER BROTHERS TELEVISION

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Ex Civil War man, Cheyenne Bodie, became adventurer, and romed the wild west,
    loking for women, fights and bad guys, to lay his hands on.
    by ethanedwards

Series Cast
    Clint Walker ... Cheyenne Bodie (107 episodes, 1955-1962)
    Lane Bradford ... Brock / ... (6 episodes, 1956-1957)
    Don Megowan ... Gregg Dewey / ... (6 episodes, 1956-1961)
    Mickey Simpson ... Bassing / ... (6 episodes, 1956-1962)
    Lane Chandler ... Joe Cooper / ... (6 episodes, 1956-1961)
    Andrew Duggan ... Ed Foster / ... (6 episodes, 1956-1962)
    Trevor Bardette ... Amarillo Ames / ... (5 episodes, 1956-1962)
    Robert J. Wilke ... Begert / ... (5 episodes, 1955-1960)
    Myron Healey ... Carl Thompson / ... (5 episodes, 1955-1961)

Including Lee Van Cleef, Stack Keach Sr.

and many others including a few of Dukes 'Pals'
    William Fawcett, Jack Elam, Marie Windsor, Denver Pyle
    and a few names who went on to star in their own,
    successful Classic TV Westerns,
    Lorne Greene, Michael Landon and John Russell

Series Directed
    Richard L. Bare (21 episodes, 1955-1962)
    Leslie H. Martinson (13 episodes, 1956-1960)
    Robert Sparr (12 episodes, 1960-1962)
    Lee Sholem (11 episodes, 1958-1961)
    and others including three who were involved with Duke

George Waggner, Joseph Kane, Arthur Lubin

Series Produced
    William T. Orr .... executive producer (13 episodes, 1955-1962)
    Roy Huggins .... producer (12 episodes, 1955-1956)
    and many others

Trivia

* The first original television series produced by a major Hollywood film studio Warner Brothers. (Some of "Disneyland", which had premiered the year before, did not really consist of programming made exclusively for TV).

* This was US TV's first hour-long western.

Memorable quote
    Cheyenne Bodie: Just because I talk slow don't mean I'm peculiar.

Filming Locations:
    Western Street, Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Cheyenne is an American western television series of 108 black-and-white episodes broadcast
    on ABC (American Broadcasting Company) from 1955 to 1963.
    The show was the first hour-long western, and in fact the first hour-long dramatic series of any kind,
    with continuing characters, to last more than one season.
    It was also the first series to be made by a major Hollywood film studio
    which did not derive from its established film properties, and the first of a long chain of Warner Brothers
    original series produced by William T. Orr.

Cheyenne, well,
    Clint Walker always keen to show off his 48" chest,
    at any given opportunity!
    Clint was an actor of very limited expertise,
    but was handsome and fit and made this part all his own.
    He was tough, but also gentle,
    which endeared him to the many fans,
    which made this a successful series for many years.

Cheyenne, was the first original TV western
    to be be produced by a major movie company.
    Warner Brothers, guided by it's producer
    William T. Orr, went on to make many more TV classics,
    many of which are highlighted in our Classic TV Westerns .

So successful was the series, that it alone helped
    to elevate the ABC network to higher levels.

Clint and the studios were always at loggerheads,
    about contracts and pay, and at one time the series,
    was temporarily off the air!
    To fill in it's absense, a fill in series Bronco Lane was commissioned.
    After the dispute was settled, Bronco became a successful
    series, in it's own right.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Clint was an actor of very limited expertise but was handsome and fit and made this part all his own. He was tough, but also gentle,
    which endeared him to the many fans, which made this a successful series for many years.

Clint was one of my favorite characters in "The Dirty Dozen".

I also liked 'im in "Cheyenne".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• When i was a kid,my hero was Cheyenne Bodie. Time flies!
    Even now i have a record of Clint Walker sings "I Believe " and "The Kentuckian Song".
    His voice is low and gentle.

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• dont know if this or any other old classics will be got now that they had that big fire at warner studios, it seems to have burnt down the fault that contained the tapes of the old tv programmes from the early 1920's and onwards.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• dont know if this or any other old classics will be got now that they had that big fire at warner studios, it seems to have burnt down the fault that contained the tapes of the old tv programmes from the early 1920's and onwards.

cheers smokey

I read an article about that fire, smokey, that said duplicates of all the movie/tv files were stored in another location.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• EthanEdwards:

I love these posts of yours with a summary of the show and cast. Boy, they should trigger alot of very good memories of a different and better (!!) time.

Cheyenne was one of my favorites as a kid growing up in the late 50's and very early sixties. I'm with Stumpy on this one too - Walker was definitely one of my favorites in another great film - The Dirty Dozen.

I remember reading about Clint's near-brush with death many years ago when he was skiing, had some kind of a fall and ended up inpaling himself with the ski pole. If memory serves me, it was very close to his heart - he was very lucky and had a guardian angel looking out for him that day.

Great work with these posts..!

• thanks stumpy,

its good to hear that they made copies at least they are not lost

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• My Father used to watch Cheyenne and used to go off if too much noise was made during the programme. During the late fifties and early sixties I used to watch this with him. As stated Clint was no great actor but he definitely made this part his own. Similar traits showed in The Dirty Dozen and he worked well with Lee Marvin. A good escape series.
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Jutst thought I'd let everyone know that if you have the Encore Westerns channel, they began showing Cheyenne last night at midnight. Right now, they're doing a Cheyenne marathon but, it'll soon be on every night, I think at 6 pm.

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/72kEAc-N0KU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/72kEAc-N0KU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• When I was a kid back in the late 50's and early 60's, I loved watching those old westerns on TV, and Cheyenne was one of my favorites. Just this last week I found the entire first season on DVD at our local library and have been watching a couple of episodes each night. Boy the memories those old shows bring back! As some of you know, one of my hobbies is collecting autographs, and a few years ago I was fortunate enough to have Clint Walker sign an 8x10 photo of himself as Cheyenne. It is one of the highlights of my autograph collection. Thanks for putting up this section on Cheyenne, Keith! - Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• cheyenne, maverick, rawhide, those were the days. all we get now is creatures coming out of peoples stomachs.. the old days were the best

• Sugarfoot and The Dakotas also spun off Cheyenne series
    Stan Jones-costar and creator of "The Sheriff of Cochise",wrote the theme to Cheyenne.

Edited once, last by Laramie ().

• I've been taping and watching some of the episodes in the marathon. I liked all the Warner's westerns when I was a kid. Some of them still hold up, but others seem to have been shot on cheesy sets that vividly contrast with the snips of old Warner movies that are spliced in pretty regularly.
    Still it's fun to see young actors pop up early in their career.

We deal in lead, friend.