Hopalong Cassidy (1952-1954)

There are 57 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 47,205 times. The latest Post () was by Phantomstranger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HOPALONG CASSIDY

HOPALONG CASSIDY/WILIAM BOYD PRODUCTIONS/ NBC

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Hopalong Cassidy, grey haired and clad in black,
    and his horse Topper went round catching badguys.
    Red Connors was his funny sidekick.
    Written by ethanedwards

Series Cast
    William Boyd ... Hopalong Cassidy (40 episodes, 1952-1954)
    Edgar Buchanan ... Red Connors (40 episodes, 1952-1954)
    George Wallace ... Brad Mason / ... (4 episodes, 1952-1954)
    John Crawford ... Frank Dale / ... (3 episodes, 1952-1953)

Series Directed by
    Derwin Abrahams,
    Thomas Carr
    and many others

Series Produced
    Toby Auguist .... producer
    William Boyd .... executive producer

Series Writing Credits
    Clarence E. Mulford,Harrison Jacobs
    and others

Trivia
    * Hoppy rode Topper.

* William Boyd insisted on speaking grammatical English during this series, because he knew so many children would be watching and wanted to set a good example.

Filming Locations
    Anchor Ranch, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Melody Ranch - 24715 Oak Creek Avenue, Newhall, California, USA
    Sonora, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hopalong Cassidy is a fictional cowboy hero created in 1904 by the author Clarence E. Mulford,
    who wrote a series of popular short stories and twenty-eight novels based on the character.

In his early writings, Mulford portrayed the character as rude, dangerous, and rough-talking.
    Beginning in 1935, the character—as played by movie actor William Boyd
    in films adapted from Mulford's books—was transformed into a clean-cut on-screen hero.
    A total of sixty-six immensely popular films were released,
    only a few of which relied on Mulford's original story lines.
    Mulford later revised and republished his earlier works to be more consistent
    with the character's new, polished on-screen persona.

Hoppy was one of my childhood favourites.
    A staple diet at the Saturday Morning matinees.

Hoppy made many feature movies,
    before realising the potential of TV, in the 50's.

Topper I guess,being one of the most remembered
    and loved screen horses of all time!

In the movies, his sidekick was no other than
    Gabby Hayes, replacing him with a couple of others,
    before settling on Edgar Buchanan, for the TV show.

William Boyd, was clever and astute,
    having his own production company,
    produce the shows, and others as well

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hopalong Cassidy was probably the first cowboy show and movie I liked as a kid. I even got a Hopalong Cassidy outfit one year for Christmas. Complete with black pants, shirt and hat and two gun rig. I was in 7th heaven over that. Of course, another year or two later, I got a Cisco Kid outfit. But Cassidy was the first. Years later, I began reading all the Clarence Mulford Cassidy books and some that Louis LaMour wrote. Quite a bit of difference in the Hopalong Cassidy in print and the one on screen. In the books, he was much younger than portrayed by Bill Boyd and he even had a girlfriend. He was also more likely to shoot to kill if he had to.

• I have allot of the Hopalong Cassidy movies. he's right up there with the Duke. My favorite side kick who appeared in many shows with Hoppy is Andy Clyde. His character was California Carlson. They went together like peanut butter and jelly in my book.

Dixie

• Of course, another year or two later, I got a Cisco Kid outfit. But Cassidy was the first.

I remember as a little kid getting my Cisco kid outfit. I wore them everywhere. I got laughed at for wearing them to school. My Mom said you don't want to do that, but I didn't listen.
    Hopalong was on when I was young as reruns but just as enjoyable.

The odd thing of Edgar Buchanan as the side kick and then but 10 yeards later he is on Petticoat Junction after being a serial star and in movies such as McClintock.

• Hi

Robert Mitchum cut his teeth in films playing villains in Hopalong Cassidy films.

For a cameo appearance by Cassidy watch the Circus picture The Greatest Show on Earth.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I have never seen that movie yet. I've heard about it but never seen it. I have heard Hoppy had done many appearances like that and visited many children's hospital giving allot, and I do mean allot of money to charities for kids.

Dixie

• Hi

if you ever get a chance to see it do so. Although at one time ITDO said that the Circus was better, imo The Greatest Show on Earth is just that with a fantastic cast, a great director and spectacular scenarios.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I think when I was about 5 or 6, one Christmas I got a Hopalong Cassidy cowboy outfit. Black hat, shirt, pants, boots, gunbelt with two white handled six guns. Thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Now I can dress just like my favorite tv cowboy. Trouble is, my brother, who was a year younger, got the same thing. So, there were two Hoppys in our house.

• Last night I watched Rustler's Valley (1937), which I think was the seventh or eighth Hopalong Cassidy film. A warm and agreeable western of the period, well-shot on beautiful locations and well-acted. Well-written, too. The Hopalong Cassidy films had good writing, at least in the beginning. Not the same experience as reading the books; author Mulford achieved greatness on the page. Whenever I watch a Hopalong Cassidy film, I always think it' so good it could have been better if they had only done this or that, instead of that and this. Close, but no cigar.

Trail Dust (1936) and Borderland (1937) are two of best westerns of the 1930s, I am inclined to think, and by coincidence, they are also two of the strongest and orniest Mulford novels.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Last night I watched Rustler's Valley (1937), which I think was the seventh or eighth Hopalong Cassidy film. A warm and agreeable western of the period, well-shot on beautiful locations and well-acted. Well-written, too. The Hopalong Cassidy films had good writing, at least in the beginning. Not the same experience as reading the books; author Mulford achieved greatness on the page. Whenever I watch a Hopalong Cassidy film, I always think it' so good it could have been better if they had only done this or that, instead of that and this. Close, but no cigar.

Trail Dust (1936) and Borderland (1937) are two of best westerns of the 1930s, I am inclined to think, and by coincidence, they are also two of the strongest and orniest Mulford novels.

Richard

I'm always glad to read or hear recommendations about good books and/or movies. Think I'll follow your recommendations, Richard, and try to acquire those Mulford stories you named above. Also the films.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Trail Dust (1936) and Borderland (1937) are two of best westerns of the 1930s, I am inclined to think, and by coincidence, they are also two of the strongest and orniest Mulford novels.

Richard

Durn, Richard, I may have to forego acquiring these two films. :omg2:

• Stumpy,

Clarence E. Mulford wrote 28 westerns between 1906 and 1941. He was the real thing. His books reek with authenticity. Trail Dust (1936) is based on the novel of the same name published in 1934. It's a great novel, a vital and important novel. I've invested a good many years of my life researching the cattle trailing industry of the late 1800s in the southwest, but I never came across a story that captures the feel and flavor of the time, let alone the vernacular, with such unerring truth, not even in the eyewitness accounts (which are numerous). Truly an extraordinary little book. Borderland (1937) is based on an earlier Mulford novel called Bring Me His Ears published in 1922. The films are good, but the books are better. You won't be disappointed, either way.

Bypass the VHS. Quality is poor and the films are cut. Get the DVD if you can. It's restored and complete.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• The films are good, but the books are better. You won't be disappointed, either way.

Bypass the VHS. Quality is poor and the films are cut. Get the DVD if you can. It's restored and complete.

Richard

Thanks for the advice concerning the VHS versions, Richard. I may just give up on the movies altogether and keep trying to find reasonably-priced books.