Audie Murphy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 44 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by BILL OF PA.

• Re: Western Screen Legends- Audie Murphy

DukePilgrim wrote:

Is it true that Audie shot two guys dead outside the Beverly Hills Hotel when they were trying to steal his car and that it was considered by the police to be self defence?

His postwar life wasn't all roses, however. He suffered from what is now called Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) but was then called "combat fatigue", and was known to have a hair-trigger temper. He woke up screaming at night and slept with a loaded .45 automatic nearby. He was acquitted of attempted murder charges brought about by injuries he inflicted on a man in a bar fight,

From our initial post,at the top of this thread, could well be true!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Audie Murphy was Much like Duke in that He Played Himself in His Films.
      :wink_smile:
      When Colt Stopped Making The Peacmaker Pistol after World War 2 and The Film Companys could not Find the Old Colt Weapons anymore He Started Up a Company Called
      "Great Western Firearms"
      And Made Copys of the Old West Firearms, And saved the Day for The Westerns of that day !!!
      :teeth_smile:
      Chilibill
      :cowboy:

Audie Murphy did not make great westerns, but they were fun westerns.
      There were two westerns that he costared that I thougth were very good.
      And in both he played the main stars brother.

NIGHT PASSAGE :JIMMY STEWART 1957
      THE UNFORGIVEN:BURT LANCASTER 1960

Murphy was and is a GREAT AMERICAN HERO!
      A little man who WALKED TALL
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Another little known but very good Audie Murphy western is Posse From Hell.
      Check it out if you can ever find it.
      John Huston must have thought Audie had box office lure or he probably wouldn't have cast him in The Unforgiven after the fiasco of Red Badge. I cna almost cede Burt Lancaster and Doug McClure as brothers, but Audie seems to be the dark haired runt of the litter. As others have noted, not a bad performance.

We deal in lead, friend.

JohnWayneFan4Life wrote:

I saw Night Passage and thought it was awful. It was a strange idea anyway casting 6'3" Jimmy Stewart and 5'5" Murphy as brothers.

I,am 6'3" and my younger brother by 13yrs is 5'8" and did Duke and Dean look like brothers?
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

I'll take a worst Stewart western over most other "good" westerns. I also enjoyed The Unforgiven, and thought Murphy gave one of his top performances, if not THE top performance of his career. As for heights, those are easily disguised by camera angles and such. Duke and Clift had a believable fight in Red River inspite of their height differences.

I liked Fonda in Tin Star, so I have no problem with that, but Man of the West would have been much better with Stewart. Coop was great and did the best he could, but he was just too old for the character. The script should have been rewritten to compensate for that, but wasn't. Still a good western, but shoulda been better.

Too bad that Audie died before getting his chance to play the Scorpio killer in Dirty Harry.
      Director Don Siegel was considering casting the baby faced actor as the villain, but after Audie's demise, he went another way with Andy Robinson.
      Notice Scorpio's military style boots along with his peace sign belt buckle, which I think are remnants of what Siegel had in mind for Murphy.

We deal in lead, friend.