The Great Escape (1963)

There are 37 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 47,352 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi all,
    I have this signature tune on my mobile phone and my friends at V.S.A.S.A. all comment on this. Last week I left my phone on my desk and my mates called out "Phone Bill" although no one was in my office. Still a great movie and I don't think anyone couls have played "X" better that Richard Attenborough. All round worth watching again.
    Regards Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• I agree about Attenborough, although he did take a couple hits for playing a "pudgy" POW. He was magnificent and I can't picture Richard Harris (who accepted the role and backed out at the last minute) contributing much to Bartlett.

While the end of the movie - most of the characters were murdered - is considered a down beat ending, the rousing, inspiring music combined with Hilt's never-surrender baseball bouncing, just lifts you cheering right out of the movie seat.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi gents, I've probably seen this movie at least 100 times over the years. I love every minute of the movie itself-with the exception of the murder scenes. The theme music is one fo the best War Movies themse out there. Some it can be compared with are the themes to Das Boot, Where Eagles Dare, Kellys Heroes, The Battle of Britain, Patton, The Bridge Over the River Kwai, Zulu, "Dog Faced Soldier" from: To Hell and Back; and so many others.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Saw a movie today at a Cinemark theater and was floored to see previews for "The Great Escape". It has been digitally restored and will be shown twice at Cinemark theaters on Wednesday, November 7.
    There were no Duke titles scheduled, but since a lot of contributors enjoy this film I thought I'd let you know.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Saw a movie today at a Cinemark theater and was floored to see previews for "The Great Escape". It has been digitally restored and will be shown twice at Cinemark theaters on Wednesday, November 7.
    There were no Duke titles scheduled, but since a lot of contributors enjoy this film I thought I'd let you know.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thank you B/ I will head out to see this one too. I can already hear the theme playing ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Great news. "The Great Escape" blue ray has been announced for release on 6/3/13 in the UK. No word on the US release date, but it can't be far behind. The film was originally released in the States on 7/4/63, so this might be a real 50th anniversary.

We deal in lead, friend.