Saving Private Ryan (1998)

There are 51 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 63,098 times. The latest Post () was by The Tennesseean.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Keith, ya didint miss much in the way of classic cinematic art filmed.

Anyway, while at the gun show today, I found a dealer who has a WWII American 82nd Airborne DIvision Paratroopers helmet--complete with original and VERY scarce Westinghouse made liner. It looks exactly like the lid the ""G.I."" in the middle of this photo posted by Bill--is wearing--same exact type helmet net too. Im thinking of getting it since it cam efrom a local WWII 82nd AB trooper who is still alive and I now know where to meet these gent sat. He comes into a local place called: Andy's Kitchen--along with about 10 other WWII Vets. I cant wait to go meet them as well as buy that helmet and get provinance from the vet who wore it. For $150--that's CHEAP FOR A WWII pROVED pARA LID.

Forgot to post the pix so here it is:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Update: That 82nd Para lid is now mine ;-)) Once i get it in me mitts-im going to get provinance on its former owner who is still alive ;-))

• Update: That 82nd Para lid is now mine ;-)) Once i get it in me mitts-im going to get provinance on its former owner who is still alive ;-))

Well, nice Christmas there Carl. Now, pray tell, how do you get provinance and what is it? I would want him to put it on and take a picture of him, LOL!
    KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• The other night on the Smithsonian Channel, they had a program about this movie and if any of it was based on fact. They told of the five Sullivan brothers from Iowa who died when their ship, the cruiser USS Juneau, was sunk in the early days of WW2. Three of them went down with the ship, the other two survived but later died in the water. One of them because of the severe heat and exposure and he just slipped away, the last because he was so distraught over losing his four brothers, he just dove under the sea and never came up.
    It also told the story of the four Niland brothers of NY, who seemd to be the pattern for the Ryan brothers of the movie. Three of Niland brothers were part of the D-day, landings. One with the 101st, one with the 82nd, and the other with another unit whose name escapes me. The fourth Niland brother was in the Army Air Corp in the Pacific. Of the first three, the one with the 82nd was killed by a sniper, I can't remember how one of the others were killed but it was near the same time as the first. And the Niland who was a flyer was shot down over New Guinea and reported missing. Fritz Niland was with the 101st, much like James Ryan in the movie. It was assumed that he was the sole survivng son and he was pulled out of the front lines and sent home. It was awhile later that the family found out that another had survived and was in a Japanese POW camp and he returned home after the war.

• Very interesting WJ. You know, there must be other families that lost all their sons or close to them. The boys and men were raring to go to fight back then. I know many fellahs who made it back, but still have the scars to prove they were there.......and the nightmares!
    Thanks for your post. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Well, nice Christmas there Carl. Now, pray tell, how do you get provinance and what is it? I would want him to put it on and take a picture of him, LOL!
    KEITH

The item is a 100% genuine and complete US Paratroopers Helmet from WWII. These things are faked all day long and sold as originals too. This "lid" comes complete with original Westinghouse made helmet liner--paratroopers chinstrap (which does NOT--look like the ones used in SPR or even The Longest Day) and also comes with helmet netting. I can get proof of ownership from the vet himself. Im more than sure he will let me get some images of his wartime service as well as maybe a few at Andy's Kitchen. A group of several WWII vets meet there daily from around 9Am to about 10:30am--ish. Also, im told that many of them have no probs telling of their wartime experiences but a coupe there do.

Anyway, ive met a few "Screaming Eagles" but never an 82nd Airborne Trooper ;-))

• The other night on the Smithsonian Channel, they had a program about this movie and if any of it was based on fact. They told of the five Sullivan brothers from Iowa who died when their ship, the cruiser USS Juneau, was sunk in the early days of WW2. Three of them went down with the ship, the other two survived but later died in the water. One of them because of the severe heat and exposure and he just slipped away, the last because he was so distraught over losing his four brothers, he just dove under the sea and never came up.
    It also told the story of the four Niland brothers of NY, who seemd to be the pattern for the Ryan brothers of the movie. Three of Niland brothers were part of the D-day, landings. One with the 101st, one with the 82nd, and the other with another unit whose name escapes me. The fourth Niland brother was in the Army Air Corp in the Pacific. Of the first three, the one with the 82nd was killed by a sniper, I can't remember how one of the others were killed but it was near the same time as the first. And the Niland who was a flyer was shot down over New Guinea and reported missing. Fritz Niland was with the 101st, much like James Ryan in the movie. It was assumed that he was the sole survivng son and he was pulled out of the front lines and sent home. It was awhile later that the family found out that another had survived and was in a Japanese POW camp and he returned home after the war.

Hi Jim, ive heard this story before and thanks for more details.

• PS Keith, that lid is a gift to myself for putting up with so much BS from a few people here in Corpus Christi. Well, not really. That's just one of many excuses ill come up with in order to justify buying that lid. :-))

• Jim, the story about the Sullivan Bros is missing a detail that was kept from their parents (as long as possible), because of it's horrific nature.

When the two surviving brothers were waiting with all the other men to be rescued, one of them did indeed go off his nut.

The gory details (supported by over one dozen affidavits) were that he was trying to "get back home," and started swimming away from the life raft he had just vacated, and as is the case in most all situations at sea like this, there were hundreds of sharks lurking about.

According to these affidavits, when he had swam just a few yards, he was attacked by a large shark and killed, and other sharks became involved...

You can see how everyone involved wanted to keep it from his parents. He was gone, and these gruesome details would've only caused them more pain.

For another true incident much like this one (complete with a cover-up), look up whatever you can find about the USS Indianapolis.

It's the ship mentioned by Quint (played by Robert Shaw) in the movie "Jaws." The story he tells while they're comparing wounds (and getting drunk) is an actual account from a friend of Shaw's who WAS on the Indianapolis.

• I had heard that story before, about a shark getting one of the Sullivans. But on that program I described, they didn't mention that, though they did say there were sharks attacking the sailors. They just didn't specify who. And I would think that most people would rather think that the way they died in the movie, all together and going down with the ship, is much more humane.