The Dirty Dozen (1967)

There are 83 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 90,059 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Shortgrub, same here. I took it off my shelf back around Feb and it still is sitting nearby as well as Cross of Iron and Hell Is For Heroes. ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I must admit that I like Telly Savalas as Maggot. I don't think anyone else could have played it so well. He certainly stood out especially on the guard tower. Another good laugh was Trini Lopez climbing the rope. Good light moments.
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Hi Red/ same here. I always liked Telly Savalas and he did have some great moment as Maggot. Have you ever watched: Battle of the Bulge-where he played Sgt Guffey-the tank commander. He was hilarious.

• Hi Carl,
    Yes I have the movie on DVD of the Battle of the Bulge. I bought it in a trilogy. "The Dirty Dozen", "The Battle of the Bulge" and "Kelly's Heroes". In all three he certainly left his mark. I still laugh when you get to the part where he orders the infantry off of his wreck.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• I read that the final scene being filmed was an insert with the survivors of the raid driving the halftrack over the bridge. Lee Marvin was off set, thinking he was done filming and was found "so drunk he couldn't say his own name".
    They poured him into a car, got him in makeup and costume and plopped him in the driver's seat. Charles Bronson, who was booked on a flight home said "So help me Lee, if you #$#% this up, I'll kill you".
    Lee changed gears, drove the thing and the one take is in the film.
    They just don't make them like that anymore.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi Bill, Gorch,

All three of those movies are great to watch. I also have all three and watch them ocasionally. I never tire of any of them. As a coupe of stations here were playing war movies on them all day long, I woke up to To Hell and Back, ate lunch while Patton was on, and then cought all of Kellys Heroes. ;-)) Today was a great day to be at home and to watch TV. I skipped the two Rambo movies because some station was showing John Waynes: The Alamo ;-))

Thanks for the Dirty Dozen info ;-)) that is some interesting stuff. And looking at that scene where Marvin is driving that SDKFZ-251 Halftrack over the bridge, one wouldn't have been able to know about Lees ""disability"".

• Pleased to meet you, Ringo.
    I think Lee had more experience driving under the influence than sober. John Boorman tells a story of how they went out to dinner and drinks one night and although trashed, Lee insisted on driving back. A scuffle ensued and Boorman got hold of Lee's keys but Lee refused to enter the car.

They compromised by having Boorman drive with the windows down and Lee lying on the roof. Naturally, Boorman got pulled over and the cop strode to the driver's side, assessed the situation, and asked Borrman "Do you know Lee Marvin's on the roof of your car?" Boorman repled he knew and the cop told him to just be careful.

His bouts with Duke must be legendary.

We deal in lead, friend

• Thank you Gorch and likewise. I just barely remember about Lee being in the news about such things. I saw the features that included the making of the Dirty Dozen and ill bet they had some wild times in town on off moments ;-))

Hi Keith, do you have anything on the other three Dirty Dozen movies?

• Carl, which one's specifically,
    I'll see if I can put them up in the Lee Marvin Thread

Hi Keith, I think the first sequal was called: The Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission? it was done in the early to mid 80s and shortly before Lee Marvin passed away. After that one came I think two more sequals which had Telly Savalas in them. I remember watching at least one fo those and thought it was pretty lousy but, that was back in the mid to late 80s or about 1990 when I saw one of those.

• Just one a great signed pix from this movie. The pix has Lee Marvin in it being chewed out by Ernest Borgnine and George Kennedy is in the background. Photo is signed be Borgnine.

• Did anyone else ever notice that the Clint Walker character (Samson Posey) is never shown being killed? He's behind the sandbags at the crossroads with Bravos. In a two-shot, Bravos is seen being hit, but not Posey. The only was you know for sure that he kicked the bucket is because he's included in the reprise of the dead.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Speaking of Posey, one of my favorite lines in that movie was when he said: "Donald Duck IS Down At The Crossroads With A Machine Gun."

• Shifting gears a bit, the extras on the Dozen blue ray include a story about a table cast reading. Clint Walker - Sampson Posey - was supposed to play the bogus general at the jump school. Clint objected on the grounds that he didn't want a Native American to come across as an idiot and that he thought the scene was disrespectful. Director Aldrich looked around the table and said to Donald Sutherland - OK, you with the ears, you're a general.
    After the film was shot, Altman campaigned to have Sutherland's name and image in the ads, citing that Don had performed so greatly in the film. Consequently, several US ads feature Sutherland's face in the "grenade" image.

We deal in lead, friend.