Sahara (1943)

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,146 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• SAHARA

DIRECTED BY ZOLTAN KORDA
    COLUMBIA PICTURES CORPORATION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Sergeant Joe Gunn and his tank crew pick up five British soldiers, a Frenchman and a Sudanese man with an Italian prisoner crossing the Libyan Desert to rejoin their command after the fall of Tobruk. They and the Germans are greatly in need of water.
    Written by Ed Stephan

Cast
    Humphrey Bogart ... Sgt. Joe Gunn
    Bruce Bennett ... Waco Hoyt
    J. Carrol Naish ... Giuseppe
    Lloyd Bridges ... Fred Clarkson
    Rex Ingram ... Sgt. Major Tambul
    Richard Nugent ... Capt. Jason Halliday
    Dan Duryea ... Jimmy Doyle
    Carl Harbord ... Marty Williams
    Patrick O'Moore ... Osmond 'Ozzie' Bates
    Louis Mercier ... Jean Leroux, 'Frenchie' (as Louis T. Mercier)
    Guy Kingsford ... Peter Stegman
    Kurt Kreuger ... Capt. von Schletow (as Kurt Krueger)
    John Wengraf ... Maj. Von Falken
    Louis Adlon ... Soldier (uncredited)
    Niels Bagge ... German Private (uncredited)
    Walter Bonn ... Soldier (uncredited)
    Frederic Brunn ... German Private (uncredited)
    Bill Carter ... Undetermined Role (uncredited)
    Leslie Denison ... British Soldier (uncredited)
    Michael Dyne ... British Soldier (uncredited)
    Carl Ekberg ... Sniper (uncredited)
    Jack Gardner ... British Soldier (uncredited)
    Vilmos Gyimes ... Sergeant (uncredited)
    Leyland Hodgson ... British Officer (uncredited)
    Frank Lackteen ... Sheik Ali, Arab guide for the German column in the desert (uncredited)
    Peter Lawford ... British Soldier (uncredited)
    Nelson Leigh ... British Soldier (uncredited)
    Anthony Marsh ... Soldier (uncredited)
    John Meredith ... Soldier (uncredited)
    George N. Neise ... British Sergeant (uncredited)
    Otto Reichow ... German Captain (uncredited)
    Henry Rowland ... German prisoner (killed by Sgt. Krause after their release) (uncredited)
    John Royce ... Soldier (uncredited)
    Hans Schumm ... Sgt. Krause (German prisoner who won't talk) (uncredited)
    Robert R. Stephenson ... German Soldier (uncredited)
    Walter Thiele ... Sniper (uncredited)
    Frederick Worlock ... Radio newscaster (voice) (uncredited)

Writing credits
    Philip MacDonald (story based on an incident in the Soviet Photoplay "The Thirteen")
    John Howard Lawson (screenplay) and
    Zoltan Korda (screenplay)
    James O'Hanlon adaptation &
    Sidney Buchman uncredited

Produced by
    Harry Joe Brown .... producer (uncredited)

Original Music by
    Miklós Rózsa (as Miklos Rozsa)

Trivia
    * The German aircraft strafing the tank was actually an early P-51B.

* Based upon the Soviet film Trinadtsat (1937) directed by Mikhail Romm

* "Lulubelle" is an M3 Lee tank.

Goofs
    * Anachronisms: As in most of the films made about WWII before 1946. The German helmets are WWI vintage. They look somewhat similar. This movie, however, being made in 1942-43 would make it very difficult to obtain German WWII helmets.

Filming Locations
    Brawley, California, USA
    Eagle Pass, San Bernardino County, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Southern California desert, Palm Springs, California, USA
    Yuma, Arizona, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Sahara is a 1943 drama war film directed by Zoltán Korda.
    Humphrey Bogart stars as a U.S. tank commander in Libya
    during the Western Desert Campaign of World War II.
    The story is credited to a story by Philip MacDonald (Patrol)
    and an incident depicted in the 1936 Soviet film The Thirteen (Russian: Тринадцать)
    by Mikhail Romm.
    Later, Sahara was remade by André de Toth as a Western with Broderick Crawford
    called Last of the Comanches (1953) and by Brian Trenchard-Smith
    as the Australian film Sahara (1995).[4]

In Sahara events are depicted which point to the Battle of Gazala,
    an important battle of the Western Desert Campaign of World War II,
    fought around the port of Tobruk in Libya.
    Bogart makes reference to events that occurred in May–June 1942.
    The battle had begun with the British stronger in terms of numbers
    and quality of equipment, and had received many of the M3 tanks,
    which was the tank used in the film.
    A small group of American advisors and crews had come to train them in use of the equipment.

The British forces were routed, and as shown in Sahara, many tanks which were only damaged,
    were unable to be salvaged because of the 8th Army's retreat.
    The British lost virtually all their tanks, although a number of damaged tanks could be evacuated.
    General Rommel pursued the British into Egypt, trying to keep his opponent
    under pressure and denying him the opportunity to regroup.
    As both sides neared exhaustion, the British were able to check
    Rommel's advance at the First battle of El Alamein,
    which is where the radio report calls Bogart and tank crew to rally in the film.

I consider this a great film.
    Actually filmed during WW11,
    Bogart, was at his very best in this solid war movie,
    with a great supporting cast.
    I remember whilst watching this film,
    I was 'dying of thirst' such was it's credibility.

User Review

Pedantic But Entertaining6 November 2001 | by telegonus (brighton, ma)

This Zoltan Korda-John Howard Lawson World War II curio is at times a superb war film, with fine pace, excellent location photography and some excellent, unflashy acting. It is a story in the tradition of The Lost Patrol, as experienced U.S. Sgt. Humphrey Bogart, in a tank, helps a motley crew of soldiers, mostly British, in search of either their unit, safety or water, whichever comes first. They wind up at a desert fort and are eventually attacked by a German regiment that is also desperate and thirsty, and some exciting action scenes of fighting and exhausted men are the result.

Bogart is his usual charismatic self in the lead, and the supporting cast is nearly as good, especially Bruce Bennett and J. Carrol Naish; the former is quiet and dignified, as was his custom, the latter typically flamboyant, but this time his florid acting is appropriate. Overall I like this movie a lot. Like all the best war films, it focuses on seemingly small things, such as well that has gone dry (or has it?), the glaring sun, the little stories of home life,--for once not corny. There is a black African solider who is treated as an equal, and well-acted by Rex Ingram. Now and again, though, the movie turns preachy, as a certain internationalist tendentiousness creeps in, which, even if one finds its agreeable, detracts somewhat from the exciting story and makes it at times feel like a tract on the need for cooperation among nations.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• the thing that sticks out to me in this film is that when the good guys are hit they dont show blood but when the germans are hit (at least the leader of the germans at the water hole) they showed blood I thought this was symbolism but I could be over thinking it, either way a great movie. thank you Keith for adding it to the list

"Fill your hand you son of a b--ch"

• Definitely one of my favorite war movies. I watch this every time it's on tv, even though I have the DVD already. Did anyone know that a remake of this was done sometime back in the late 80's I think. I've never seen it but, I'd like to just to compare. It stars Jim Belushi in the Bogart role.

• This movie was what made Humphrey Bogart, a favorite of mine. He was very good as the tank Sergeant. Also, having Bruce Bennet and Dan Duryea as his crew-certainly does not hurt. Also, It was a pleasure to see a young Lloyd Bridges as a British Soldier. The German fighter pilot that they shot dows (Kurt Krueger) as a favorite German actor of mine. Kurt Krueger had lots of screen time in another great movie: The Enemy Below, w/ Robert Mitchum, Curt Jurgens and a young Doug McClure.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• One fo the so-called "Goofs" on the German helmets being WWI vintage--true to an extent but these in this film are TRANSITIONAL helmets which means--they WERE used in WWII. Just because you see German helmets with Gas mask lugs on the sides--does NOT mean they were M-16 or M18 lids.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The John Belushi remake was a dud, but "Sahara" has previously been remade (unofficially) in 1953 as a western called "Last of the Comanches" starring Broderick Crawford.

It's actually pretty good, but doesn't measure up to the original.

We deal in lead, friend.

• This movie was what made Humphrey Bogart, a favorite of mine. He was very good as the tank Sergeant. Also, having Bruce Bennet and Dan Duryea as his crew-certainly does not hurt. Also, It was a pleasure to see a young Lloyd Bridges as a British Soldier. The German fighter pilot that they shot dows (Kurt Krueger) as a favorite German actor of mine. Kurt Krueger had lots of screen time in another great movie: The Enemy Below, w/ Robert Mitchum, Curt Jurgens and a young Doug McClure.

Just barely remember The Enemy Below. I was big on Submarine movies when I was young......can't imagine why since I am claustrophobic. Would love to see those old movies again. Will start looking. Loved Operation Pacific....of course Ward died WAY too soon for me, but he had to make way for his buddy DUKE to star! So, I will look for The Enemy Below tonight.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Just barely remember The Enemy Below. I was big on Submarine movies when I was young......can't imagine why since I am claustrophobic. Would love to see those old movies again. Will start looking. Loved Operation Pacific....of course Ward died WAY too soon for me, but he had to make way for his buddy DUKE to star! So, I will look for The Enemy Below tonight.

The Enemy Below!!
    ummmm, think that's a good one to review,
    it will be done.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Ah Keith, so you will be reviewing it? Don't suppose that means you know where you can find it to post for us to see does it? Didn't think so, darn. I am still DYING to see friend Tony in El Dorado. But, think I will have to find someone who has it cheap and buy it. Hope I find the movie before you review it, LOL. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE