The Colditz Story (1955)

There are 37 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,724 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi bill, very sorry for not seeing this to reply in a proper amount of time. I've always had a "thing" for the Chindits as well. If I recall?/ didn't they take part in the fighting at Imphal and Kohima??/ It's been about 20 years since I last read about them and especially over the past 10 or so years-i've been stuck only on the Eastern and Western Front mainly the Eastern Front though ;-)) and my mind is so set on the battles fought there that it seems as if most anything I knew from other areas of the war, have sorta been put into a filing cabinet-locked and the key lost ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    Hope that everything is going well for you. Yes the "Chindits" did fight around Imphal and Kohima. My Father actually won the Military Medal at Kohima and also received a battlefield promotion to Sergeant. He was mainly with the Gurkhas and went through to end up releasing some POW's from the Burma - Siam railway. Some of the POW's were actually German interned by the Japanese and forced to work on the railway. One major encounter that my Father took part in was the crossing of the Chindwin River, where neither side took prisoners. Must have been hell on either side. Anyway mate I am really pleased you are on the mend, will talk again soon.
    Best Wishes
    Bill

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Hi Bill, thank you Mate and, Cheers to you for sharing this story about your Father and Cheers to him as well. Also, i've always had great respect for the Gurkhas too. I met a WWII Gurkha Veteran who happened to be at the same Gun and Militaria show that Brigadier General and Former Flying Tigers Squadron Leader-David Lee "Tex" Hill was at as well as the Enola Gays Navigator-Dutch Van Kirk were at. All three of these Gents were great to "rub elbows" with and I especially enjoyed my time with Dutch van Kirk-who thankfully, is still alive and doing very well. Also, at that same show, I met a German Gent who had been in the Hitler Youth and then transferred into the Luftwaffe-as a Flak Artillery Gunner in 1943. This guy quickly made the rank of Sergeant and was also in charge of a half-section of a Battery of Flak 88s. Anyway, all of these Vets were great to be around, and I wish that I had had more time with that Gurkha Vet but his table was busy with a long line of people wanting his signed photo and a few moments of time with him. I regret that I was unable to get a signed picture of this guy. Even in his upper 80s, you can tell that he could have been the meanest b_____d in the Jungle, and i'd hated to have crossed him as an enemy ;-)) This Vet reminded me alot about my friend and WWII German Vet-also a recipient of the Knights Cross--Herr Remy Schrijnen.

Also, Orde Wingate has always been my favorite most British General. Sure was sad for him to die in a plane crash-what a great waste of talent.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Hi Carl,
    Thanks Mate, I have served with the Gurkhas myself, so I agree with your view. My father was a great admirer of Wingate and Bill Slim. He always said if it hadn't been for the Gurkhas showing him how to survive in the Jungle he may not have made it home. He was also very pleased to keep in touch with one of the German ex prisoners, unfortunately they both died within two months of each other and both died of cancer. I have lost touch with the German family since I came to Australia and they went to South Africa. Anyway Mate you look after yourself and I will write again soon.
    All the best
    Bill

• Hi Bill, quite welcome and serving with those guys must have been one heck of a great time to serve. The one Gent I met so impressed me and I hope that ill be lucky to met a few more Gurkhas before they get too disinterested and or physically unable to attend meetings and such. I also like Slim. Between Wingate and Slim, had they been given a little more priority, those Gents woudn't have needed anything from Merrills Marauders ;-)) Im not usually easily impressed with a nations elite force of Soldiers but the Gurkhas, Chindits, and such top the list though. If I were not so engrossed with the war between the Germans and the Russians-i'd be actively seeking any good new books out about Wingate, Slim and the Boys ;-)) Also, when I do get to read soemthing new about the Kokoda Trail, I can never seem to get my fill, of reading about what those men went through. I'd place the kokoda Trail actions up there with the intensity of what the Germans faced on the Eastern Front, as well as the Desert Rats faced at Tobruk, and our guys at the Battle of the Bulge-which says a lot.

It sure is good to open my mind up more on these other theaters of war once in awhile. I think ill look on the Helion and Aberdeen Book sites to see whats available?
    Take care Bill, and am enjoying that Keychain. It gets a lot of questions when people see it. ;-))

Oh and if your interested? If you get the chance-I highly suggest you buy a copy of Jason marks book; Island of Fire-which is simple THE BEST book I have ever read that had anything to do with the Battle of Stalingrad. The only thing about this book is that Jason Mark purposely covers the actions of one German Infantry Division and one Russian Rifle Division-and five German Engineer Battalions. This book is one you have to force yourself to put down or you will read all 600+++ pages far too quickly. I read 130 pages during my first sitting and after that limited myself to around 20 pages per day. Oh and, any book you get that is by Jason mark-will be one of the best you will ever read. He's currently working on a boo now-that has to do only or mainly with those five German Pioneer (Engineer) Battalions I mentioned above.

I asked him some months ago, if he had any plans to do a book about "Pavlovs House?" which was an amazing story in itself even though it was just a minor part for the Battle of Stalingrad. If your now familiar with Pavlov and the fighing at what was to become known as "Pavlovs House" Pavlov was a Sergeant in the Red Army, was in command of a Platoon of Infantry, and who had occupied a multi-storey house. The Germans attacked it I don't know how many times, and they never force Pavlovs men from that structure. At times, Pavlovs men were seperated-meaning the Germans managed to split that tiny force-some being in the Basement, some on the top floor while the Germans were sandwiched in between them. Simply some amazing action took place there.

I am alos hoping that Mark does a book about the Rolik Group (named after Sergeant Rolik who commanded these men)-which was a tiny group of some 4-8 Russiand who occupied basically small caves or holes in the ground, and they were a commo team the Germans tried everything they could to dislodge them from their holes-and failed miserably.

Sorry for such a long reply but, when I get started talking about my favorite battle of WWII--I can't stop ;-))

I forgot to mention that Jason mark is an Australian Author, and who has a website called; www.leapinghorsemanbooks.com or something like that?

Edited 3 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Hi Carl,
    I thnk I still have some books on Slim and Wingate and somewhere I have a couple of books on the Chindits and Gurkhas. The one thing I found out with the Gurkhas is, you don't drink the Gurkha Rum. Mind you when they use their Kukri (Knife) you run a mile. Probably in world record time. Glad you like the keyring and that it promotes enquiries. I might have a few more things to send over. I'll get Sharon to send them although I believe she still has a DVD to send to you. Look after yourself and will talk again soon.
    Best Wishes
    Bill

• Hi bill, thanks for all this too ;-)) I'd like to send you something WWII Military related though its not a vintage item. It will take me probably a month or two to think about doing so because were about to relocate about 150 miles from Houston to Austin-and well be in Austin by the end of November. Ill send you my new address as soon as I get it. What I have that I want to send to you will by Desert Rats related ;-)) Also, I hope things are going good for you and also for Sharon and her little bloke ;-)) I want to send them something for Christmas this year but don't know if I can get it out to them in time? also due to the move not sure if I will have the money to get it out in Dec or not? but ill let you all know.

Heh heh, i'd almost bet I could run a mile in about 10 seconds had I had to face an angry Gurkha with his knife out of it's scabbard ;-)) I sure wish I had photos of that Gent I had met but, "outside" cameras weren't welcome in the show I met him at, and it didn't dawn on me to take my camera in that restaurant with me-where we had that chance meetings up with him and that Japanese Vet. Both these Gents did nto show their age. The Gurkha Vet looked like he might have been 50-and the Japanese vet looked like a slightly older brother.

You know, I always get a great feeling and a grin on my face when I see former adversaries get together as friends-as these two Gents did.

• Hi Carl,
    I don't send things to my friends for them to return likewise. I am only to pleased to talk to someone who can understand what I and people like me went through in WW2 and Vietnam era. I hope that your move goes well and that everything works out for you. I agree with you that it is nice for old adversaries to get together and forget past differences, but unfortunately there are always a few who want to stir it up again. Sharon and Alec are doing well and with Sharon working late some nights we have Alec stay with us. Barbara, my wife, has no nonsense from him, he certainly knows whose boss, mind you so do I. Take care of yourself mate and I will talk again soon.
    Bill(bud)

• Hi Bill, thanks Mate. Also, no problem at all if you would allow me to send you something. Over the past few months I have been ever so slowly having some things made for as many friends as I can give stuff to. My former roommate was an Army Platoon Sergeant for 14 years and I had one of my original photos placed on a metal lidded mug for him to drink from at work ;-)) His new roommate is an Airborne Vet and as he has a computer, I figured that he might like a new mouse pad to use, so I had a well-known photo that was taken at Stalingrad-which shows two German Sergeants armed with MP-40 SMGs. I also had a new mouse pad made for myself which has one of my press phiotos on it showing General der Kavallerie: Eberhard von Mackensen with a couple of Officers and NCOs in his command Panzerspahwagon, somewhere on the Eastern Front in 1943 ;-)) What I had in mind or you if you wouldn't mind? is something Desert Rats related ;-)) I got this photo strictly by luck at an auction about 4 or so months ago. It's a great shot of a Desert Rats Mortar Team firing their mortar ;-)) I love this shot. Sadly, it's my only pic of some Desert rats.

That is too true about soem who want to stir up troubles again and also between past enemies. I see that happening quite often lately over on the www.ww2f.com site.

Im glad to hear that they as well as yourself, are doing well these days. Im about to go in for my 2nd foot operation on this Friday the 13th. Im looking forward to the operation but not the excrutiating pains in my foot that ill have at least 48 hours after the operation.

Oh and if I don't get the chance to wish you all a Merry Christmas and HAppy New Years, I want to do that now. Merry Christmas and HAppy New Years ;-))

Take care Bill, and also thanks for including me in that special club of one who understands. I try to do so as much as possible, and I never get an ending to the kick I get out of meeting Veterans-no matter where they come from ;-))

I don't know if you guys over there have the same kind of Veterans remembrance days like we have here and as today is Veterans Day-Happy Veterans Day to you as well ;-))

Sincerely--Carl ;-))

PS, if I had the knowledge and ability, I would gladly email you that Desert Rats photo I have. A little history on that photo was that this photo was supposedly taken by a German Soldier who I guess either killed or captured the Soldier who had this photo. Well, a well-known photographs dealer located in Florida, recently split apart that mans photographs and this one was one of two Desert Rats photos that the German Soldier allegedly captured. The other photo I remember showed two Desert Rats sitting in the cab of a truck or jeep? and were smiling at the camera. I tried for that photo as well, but lost out on it because someone sniped me on that photo. I still got the best of the two D/R pics though ;-)0 It goes greatly with a nice photo iof a German Mortar team firing their mortar at some Russian position on the Eastern Front. That photo was of men from the German 55th Mortar Battalion-which was an independantly attached unit to some other larger German unit.

• Hi Carl,
    Many thanks for your reply. If you like my home e mail is:- [email protected]. I hope that everything went well for you with your foot. Not pleasant. We have three veterans days here and each one is very significant. 25 April is ANZAC Day, 18 August is Vietnam Veterans Day (Also Long Tan Day) and 11 November which is Remembrance Day. So many thanks for wishing me a happy veterans day. On ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day I generally attend a couple of schools and the children love our headdress and medals. At times we almost run out of time. Remembrance probably means more to me, even though I served for over 20 years in the Australian Army, as this day remembers all servicemen/women who were killed or wounded in all conflicts. Look after yourself mate and I will talk again soon. Like you said have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Prosperous New Year
    Best wishes
    Bill

Edited once, last by Redcap ().

• Hi bill, and thank you for the kind words, adn I was indeed thinking of you guys too on our (formerly known as: Armistace Day) as well as our guys and also the German vets I have met. I told a couple of them a few years ago that I always do make it a point to think of them on that day too. You wouldn't believe at how much they appreciate that ;-))

I met two American WWII Vets the other day while eating at a restaurant I oove called; The Cracker Barrel. I noticed these Gents were wearing caps which announced they were WWII vets. We were leaving and I made it a point to stop at their table to shake both their hands as well as thank them for serving. Both were completely surprised but also expressd their greatfulness, that I was one who had not forgotten. I told them a little about my Grandfather whose ship the SS Fort Lee, was torpedoed by U 181-and at how my GF sometime after the war, somehow met one of the German Sailors who served on that Uboat that day his ship was torpedoed. They both really had soemthing in common and they became lifelong friends. The WWII vets I had been talking with, were very impressed and said it was OK for me to include honorable German vets, in my way of recognizing that special day. That sure felt great to here-because one would think that they might have thought different. It turned out that both men landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day and served through to the end of the war-in different units of course. They both told me that they knew and were good friends with some WWII German Vets.

Thank you also about my foot. I had surgery on the left one Friday. he surgery went well, but the pains were severe the rest of Fri, all of Sat and Sunday and finally started to recede a bit today. If I stand for longer than about 30 minutes or do a lot of walking around, my feet start hurting abdly when they get tired. This coming Tuesday, I get to finally take the bandages off my right foot though I still feel some sharp pains in it at times. The left foot will be at least another 3 weeks in bandages. Im not looking forward to the day the stitches get taken out-as all I will have is a local, and I felt the stitches being taken out of my right foot and I could actually feel the cuttingings into my toes on the left foot because whomever was supposed to give me the knockout gas, did nto give me as much as i should have had-muh unlike what happened for my first surgery-whenall I remember was that I was wheeled into the OR, and I only remember being awake for a few minutes before a gas mask was placed on me and I was completely out-even during my full time in the Recovery Room.

Thank you also for the nice Christmas wishes. Im hoping to be back online steady like, by the 2nd week of Dec. If nto? hopefully by then I will be cleared to start walking again and will make my way to a library and use their computers ;-))

Thank you for your email address. I will send you one from one fo my better accounts-probably one of my Hotmail accounts. One of my best accounts is: [email protected]

Take care and best regards--Carl.

• Hi Carl,
    Glad you are on the mend. I hope that everything goes well when they take the stitches out. I feel for you as when I was playing soccer for the Army I got kicked in the mouth and had to have 6 stitches inserted in my upper lip. They only gave me a local as well. When you give me your new address I have some military badges for you, I think you will like them. Once again mate, have a good Christmas and New Year and look after yourself.
    Best Wishes
    Bill

• Cheers Bill, thank you and, the mend is happening but, much slower than I wish ;-)) My left foot is still in a lot of pain and I still feel it in my right foot but, I can deal with the pain in the right foot but not the left with out having painkillers to take.

Ill send you the addy by PM as soon as I finish here ;-)) I am now in a Duplex and we live in the "A" marked unit.

I look forward to those badges with a lot of great interest. I would love to get to you a copy of 5 photo CDS of my WWII photos collection (not complete but about 14/15ths of it ;-))

I also want to make sure I can wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years ;-)) My Christmas wish is to be back in Corpus Christi before the end of this year ;-))

Take care Bill, and my best wishes to you and your friends and family. My best also for Smokey and her little bloke. ;-))

Sincerely yours--Carl.

• I have just received a DVD of the mini series "Colditz" with Jason Priestly, Damian Lewis and Tom Hardy. To me this is a load of rubbish. Has no bearing on the original story and is completey alien to Pat Reid's book. The original with John Mills and Eric Portman is still the way to go.
    Redcap

• Cleaned my movies watching soul with a Great great British War Classic today: The Colditz Story w/ Sir John Mills, Eric Portman, Anton Differing, Theodor Bikel and several other great actors.

• I read the book, If the movie is anything like the book, it should be fantastic!

Ive never read the book but--the movie is fantastic. The scroll message at the beginning of the movie says what you see is what happened.